MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple recently expanded its "Look Around" feature in Apple Maps to Phoenix, Arizona, providing 3D street-level imagery that's similar to Google's Street View.

phoenixlookaround.jpg

Look Around is a feature that was first introduced in iOS 13, but it was limited to a handful of cities at launch. Apple has been working to expand it, and it can now be used in 14 regions around the world, including San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Las Vegas, Houston, London, New York, and Oahu, with a full list available on Apple's website.

Apple has been slowly adding the Look Around feature to new cities. It expanded to Chicago in April and several cities in Japan in August. Though not yet mentioned on Apple's website, Look Around last week expanded to London, Dublin, and Edinburgh.

(Thanks, Brad!)

Article Link: Apple Maps 'Look Around' Feature Now Available in Phoenix, Arizona

Last edited:

HiVolt

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I saw several Apple Maps vehicles well over a year ago in Toronto. Still no sign of when it may come to Canada's largest city.

Anyway they have so much catching up to do, Google just has the market cornered for streetview, in so many places around the world that Apple will never do, or it will take them 10 years.

Too late in the game.

Comment

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
 is keenly aware of the shortcomings of ipadOS but they had to push it out the door before all the little niceties could get worked out.
The operating systems of apples products are always a work in progress and will never be "done". It's always about the next update, then the next update, then the next ... etc until eternity

Comment

hot-gril

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2020
Northern California, USA
 is keenly aware of the shortcomings of ipadOS but they had to push it out the door before all the little niceties could get worked out.
The operating systems of apples products are always a work in progress and will never be "done". It's always about the next update, then the next update, then the next ... etc until eternity
Apple is pretty conservative compared to the others. Not as much as Microsoft, though.

Comment

nexusrule

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
I saw several Apple Maps vehicles well over a year ago in Toronto. Still no sign of when it may come to Canada's largest city.

Anyway they have so much catching up to do, Google just has the market cornered for streetview, in so many places around the world that Apple will never do, or it will take them 10 years.

Too late in the game.

For Google maps is a product, for Apple is a feature. Apple can afford to slowly improve maps and gradually increase the numbers of iPhone users that adopt it with time. They are not competing with Google in the classical sense.

Comment

azentropy

macrumors 68030
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Cool. I live in Surprise (a western suburb) and just looked up my house and sure enough look around is available. Seems to be about a year and a half to two years old though.

Reactions: zinacef
Comment

coolfactor

macrumors 603
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Headline should include "Apple Maps on iOS", because Look Around doesn't work in Maps on macOS.

Just checked out Phoenix on iOS and the imagery is fantastic! Better than Google Maps!

Reactions: TouchedByAl
Comment

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Look Around is so much better than Google’s Street View. Problem is only available in a few big cities.

Reactions: TouchedByAl
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.