Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be planning to add support for "custom routes" in Apple Maps in iOS 18, according to code reviewed by MacRumors.

apple-maps-3d-feature.jpg

Apple Maps does not currently offer a way to input self-selected routes, with Maps users limited to Apple's pre-selected options, but that may change in iOS 18. Apple has pushed an iOS 18 file to its maps backend labeled "CustomRouteCreation." While not much is revealed by the file except for the name, it does mention that this upcoming feature will be limited to the United States at launch.

Custom routes would allow users to set what specific roads they want to travel down, whether for scenic purposes or for the familiarity of a route. Route options beyond the default have been a highly requested Apple Maps feature for several years now, and other services like Google Maps allow users to create custom routes on a computer and then view them on an iOS device.

iOS 18 will be introduced at the Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday, June 10. For more details about the update, check out our iOS 18 roundup.

(Thanks, Nicolás!)

Article Link: Apple Maps May Gain Custom Routes With iOS 18

Last edited:
Reactions: Justin Cymbal

coachgq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Another Apple app that has failed to gain any traction despite years of work and investment. It lags so far behind Google Maps it is embarrassing!

Add it to the ever growing bonfire of failures…. Fire is roaring now!
How does it lag behind? I put an address in and it tells me how to get there. Is there stuff I’m missing out on?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Another Apple app that has failed to gain any traction despite years of work and investment. It lags so far behind Google Maps it is embarrassing!

This was true up until like 5 years ago. Now, even people on Android forums complain about how Google Maps has fallen behind.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Yeah, the only way Apple maps lags behind is not having street view in most areas. But where it does exist, it's much smoother and nicer than Google's. Otherwise, the idea of "lags so far behind it's embarrassing" is just...er...how to say..."special". Or mindless trolling.

GrayFlannel

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2024

I’m not disagreeing with you because you‘re likely a user in need of pro functions. In my case I just need simple driving directions which Maps does fine in my small world.

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
If I want to go on a specific route, I just add stops and it works just fine. Stops usually mean going through a town, but I could easily add pins.

MrGimper

macrumors G3
Sep 22, 2012
Andover, UK
I’ve always wanted a feature since Sat Nav existed that would allow you to record a route. Many times I’ve had someone tell me they know a better route and they either guide me or I follow their car. Would be great if you could record the journey and then reference it as the preferred route for future journeys.

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
Ironically, I sent this as feedback a few years ago so I love this! My parents like to take backroads to get to our house but not necessarily avoid all highways. They like to take a certain route that avoids a major highway and their ETAs are always messed up because of the route that they like to take.

Reactions: Shifts and Tagbert

Yonizzle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2005
Durham, NC
I’ve been impressed with Apple Maps’s incremental updates, but one thing I really wish it’d do is just turn off directions early when I’m going to my house (or other frequent destinations). Like, sure let me ask for directions home, but assume I know where I’m going when I’m within a ½ mile radius!

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
I hope this turns out to be the case. I’ve often tried to make a custom route to see how long a walk of run would be, and it’s the worst.

johnnytravels

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2019
I wanna switch to Apple Maps so bad but I just can't stand the Yelp integration 😩

Also: FIRST!
This exactly. What Apple Maps really needs is a proper review system.
The should buy the Yelp data to integrate properly into their own system and then allow people to write new reviews in that system.
Without reviews, Maps is only half complete.
And yeah I wanna switch too, but assessing businesses and restaurants is nearly impossible without proper user engagement…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.