Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps now offers cycling navigation in Germany, allowing users across the country to receive turn-by-turn directions while riding a bike.

Apple-Maps-Cycling-Germany.jpeg

Apple Maps offers cycling directions along bike lanes, bike paths, and bike-friendly roads as much as possible, complete with details like elevation, how busy a street is, and whether there are stairs along a route. On the Apple Watch, voice guidance and haptic feedback make it easier for users to stay focused on the path ahead.

As noted by German blog Macerkopf, Apple Maps has also rolled out its "Detailed City Experience" to Berlin, Hamburg, and Munich. The revamped experience offers more detailed road markings, additional custom-designed 3D models of landmarks, and more.

Apple Maps cycling directions are also available across the United States, China, and Japan, as well as in select major cities around the world, such as London, Barcelona, and Toronto. Apple continues to play catch up with Google Maps, which began rolling out cycling directions in 2010 and now offers the feature in over 30 countries.

(Thanks, Daniel Marcinkowski and Mert Bulan!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Now Offers Cycling Directions in Germany

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
Apple has been slow and pretty poor rolling this out across the world. It’s not as if they don’t have the financial resources to accelerate the roll out. I have to use a 3rd Party App in the Uk, that allows me to select the type of bike I have and changes the route accordingly ( road bike v Mountain Bike). It’s kinda laughable that they roll it out in the US first as the difference in the % of Americans that cycle to work compared to many European countries is huge.

sos47

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2016
Extreme bad solution. I‘ve tested some routings.
it looks like Apple doesnt have a huge riding heatmap (database) in the backend like komoot, garmin or strava.
And there is only one bike type. So you ride on a road with an MTB? or you ride on a tarmac with a roadbike?
And how do you navigate through your map while biking? with an iPhone on the handlebar? or with an AW?
lol
garmin and komoot are lightyears ahead, even strava.

Skyscraperfan

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2021
I hope that works better than other services that sometimes even direct rider on highways.

Bike navigation is very complex, as the surface and the pitch have a big impact on how easy it is to ride a path. There also should be different recommendations for electric bikes, as they are easier to ride uphill. Even the age and the fitness level of rider could have an impact.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
And again, The Netherlands doesn't seem to exist according to Apple. While Google does seem to know us, as it launched here first in 2010....
Maybe it was all those fines they levied againt Apple 🤣

TheKerremenke

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
it looks like Apple doesnt have a huge riding heatmap (database) in the backend like komoot, garmin or strava.
And there is only one bike type. So you ride on a road with an MTB? or you ride on a tarmac with a roadbike?
And how do you navigate through your map while biking? with an iPhone on the handlebar? or with an AW?
lol
Do you really think Apple Maps will have off-road navigation. Then, think again. Is not gonna happen in a long long time. Enough other apps that already support that, as mentioned by you.

For mounting a iPhone or any other phone on a bike there are several solutions. Such a as quad lock, peak design or sp mount. Very suited for MTB.

Even so. Some new electrical bikes already support quad lock and wireless charging from the battery. So no worries for short battery live there.

Enough to explore for you in the world of biking and mtb

RickDEGH

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2018
Frankfurt, Deutschland 🇩🇪
lol
This comment - I think - is extreme. How is not having every feature you want an extremely bad solution? One could say Apple is late and perhaps slow in releasing this, but for me - and I believe for a lot of people - this is a good step (and solution). And I seriously don’t understand why Apple Maps is supposed to tell anyone how to “navigate through your map while biking” - it’s the rider’s choice!

NagasakiGG

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2017
Germany has always been a hassle. People there seems to be very old fashioned. Just take a look at Google street view, even some African cities have a better coverage than Germany.

TheKerremenke

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
Germany has always been a hassle. People there seems to be very old fashioned. Just take a look at Google street view, even some African cities have a better coverage than Germany.
That’s because of privacy in the past Google did one effort for street view and then was prohibited. (I believe, please correct me if I’m wrong).

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
It’s more about privacy. It’s seen as a human right here.

then was prohibited
It wasn’t. Unlike in other countries we have the rights/freedom to control our own data. Companies need permission to use our data. So when google started taking pictures of other peoples properties they (individually) told google to remove their data. When that became too much of a hassle for google because tens of thousands asked them to stop publishing their data they stopped expanding streetview.

Last edited:

TheKerremenke

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2020
It’s more about privacy. It’s seen as a human right here.

It wasn’t. Unlike in other countries we have the rights/freedom to control our own data. Companies need permission to use our data. So when google started taking pictures of other peoples properties they (individually) told google to remove their data. When that became too much of a hassle for google because tens of thousands asked them to stop publishing their data they stopped expanding streetview.
Thanks for the clarification. 👍🏽

lazybrowndog

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2016
Mainz, Germany
lol
Yes, you are right. Just tested it in Germany. Apple Maps doesn’t seem to know all the paved tracks across the fields. So it directs you along regular streets with high traffic, between trucks and cars.

In my area, only people who are very stubborn or have a death wish take these roads by bike.

Or now people with an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.