Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Real-time transit information in Apple Maps has been expanded to multiple countries and metropolitan regions, Apple today confirmed in an update to its Feature Availability page (via iphone-ticker.de).

real-time-transit-apple-maps.jpg

In addition to regular public transport information, Apple now highlights several regions in which transit information is displayed in real time. These include the whole of Canada, England, the Netherlands, Scotland, Sweden and Wales, as well as 32 metropolitan regions in Australia, China, and the United States.

Meanwhile, support for Apple's "Nearby" feature has been expanded and is now available in the following 31 countries: Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Croatia, Czech Republic, El Salvador, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Macau, Mexico, Montserrat, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey and Vietnam.

Turn-by-turn navigation now also covers Aland Islands, Anguilla, Aruba, Bahamas, Bermuda, Bonaire, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Chile, China, Dominica, Dominican Republic, Greece, Grenada, Haiti, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Palestinian Territories, St. Barth, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Turks and Caicos Islands and Uruguay.

Elsewhere, Apple has added 45 more airports where indoor maps are available, including Madrid, Prague, and Istanbul airport. Apple has also listed the 10 U.S. cities where Look Around is available: Boston, Chicago, Houston, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, New York, Oahu, Philadelphia, San Francisco and Washington.

In many of cases, these features have been available in the listed locations for a few weeks, but Apple is often slow to confirm with updates to its Feature Availability page.

Article Link: Apple Maps Real-Time Transit Information Now Available in Several More Countries and Regions

Reactions: Morgenland

zsbradt

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2014
California
I still don’t understand why SFO is not one of the airports with indoor maps available ... all of their other features seem to debut in San Francisco, plus they already have OAK and SJC.
Also don’t understand why none of the indoor maps features are available on Mac.

brandonct

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
"...transit information is displayed in real time. These include the whole of Canada"

They don't have real time in Toronto's TTC, the largest transit provider in Canada's largest city. So ya, no...

shieldcy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
I love Apple, but their maps app is (outside the USA of course) a disaster.

I am not sure why people keep saying this.

I tried walking directions (as a tourist) in the UK and Italy.
It was great. I honestly didn't expect it because people say it's a disaster etc etc.
Well, it is NOT a disaster.

What I hate about Apple is how long it takes them to support more countries worldwide (not only Maps but in general)

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Mount Florida! I used to go there from Edinburgh to visit its cracking brew pub - The Clockwork Beer Company. There are loads of places like it nowadays, but not so many back when it opened. They made a mistake once with a Ginger Beer batch. They put in far too much ginger, and it was heaven, but so strong, you could only sip it. Happy days!

Reactions: LeeW

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands

What I hate about Apple is how long it takes them to support more countries worldwide (not only Maps but in general)

When I got my iPhone in 2017 Apple Maps showed businesses in my city (third largest in The Netherlands) that had filed for bankruptcy NINE years prior. That's not a small mistake, that's ridiculous.

Reactions: Kinotto

CausticSoda

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2014
Abu Dhabi
Just wanted to say that the image shows where I live :)

It's wrong though, it says the train departed on time, they never do.
The icon next to it shows a yellow exclamation mark in a triangle, so something is probably wrong with the train. Normality restored!

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Apple still has maps?

I left Apple Maps years ago. It was the beginning of Apple releasing half-baked ideas. Unfortunately Apple does that with its MacOS now too.

Reactions: Kinotto and femike

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
When I got my iPhone in 2017 Apple Maps showed businesses in my city (third largest in The Netherlands) that had filed for bankruptcy NINE years prior. That's not a small mistake, that's ridiculous.

Thanks for giving us an update on what happened three years ago... :rolleyes:
[automerge]1591975926[/automerge]
Wow, well done Apple! Only * checks watch * a decade behind Google on this one!

Nice try...Apple has wisely chosen to work directly with the government agencies and transit providers to get the most accurate information including real time visual info as well as platform info, gate info, most updated station info, etc.

Google has some of that info, but the majority is based on timetable data and SOME platform data supplied by users or their own team (before anyone responds with, "They have ALL of that in MY city").

Real examples from users around the world (via Reddit usually) have confirmed the accuracy of Apple's info versus Google's is WAY better where they have implemented the updates...and that is a LOT of areas.

I'd rather wait for better looking, better performing and more up to date info with Apple than use Google's dated looking map.

And again..YES! I know Google has blah blah blah in your particular city/country/county/street and Apple doesn't. :p

Last edited:

Morgenland

macrumors 65816
May 28, 2009
Europe

It was great. I honestly didn't expect it because people say it's a disaster etc etc.

I assume it’s hard work for Apple to succeed; similar to Apple Card. Governments and Industries are often not pushing innovation. At least Apple will succeed ?.

Last edited:

citysnaps

Suspended
Oct 10, 2011

I think it's a knee-jerk comment that some people make to feel better.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
In all fairness, Apple is actually one of the best in this regard compared to the competition — at least when it comes to things like its media services.

iTunes, Apple Music, Apple TV+ were all available in dozens of countries around the world from the very beginning, rivalled perhaps only by Netflix, and, to a lesser degree, Spotify (which had a head start, but still originally took quite a while to expand to other countries). By comparison, Amazon Prime took years to expand beyond the U.S., and in fact the Prime Video store only arrived in Canada last month. Similarly, Apple Music wasn't available on Amazon Alexa in Canada when it first launched in the U.S., and I'm inclined to blame that on Amazon more than Apple. Google has similarly had a frustratingly slow rollout when it comes to things like Google Play Music, and even features like facial recognition in Google Photos (although at least with Google, you could "unlock" these things from a U.S. IP address, after which they'd stick with your account for life).

Of course, some things like Apple Pay, the Apple Card, and the Apple Watch ECG are outside of Apple's control, so as frustrating as those are, they're not really Apple's fault. The same was true of iTunes back in the 00's, since it was content licensing that held Apple back — for years I bought my TV shows and movies on the U.S. iTunes Store, since even though the store was available in Canada, most U.S. shows weren't because they were exclusively licensed to the Canadian TV networks, and Apple therefore had to negotiate separate deals to sell them in Canada.

That said, Maps is the exception to the above, since of course that requires legwork — Apple has to drive around and collect data — and it's chosen to focus on the U.S. first for that. But in every other area, Apple is generally one of the best companies when it comes to realizing that there's actually a world outside of the U.S.
[automerge]1591980035[/automerge]
"...transit information is displayed in real time. These include the whole of Canada"

They don't have real time in Toronto's TTC, the largest transit provider in Canada's largest city. So ya, no...
Even Google Maps seems to have been dodgy with its TTC data lately. I've found that it frequently only has real-time bus info for the main (one and two digit) routes, while the rest just rely on "scheduled" data. Knowing the TTC, I'm not sure how much of this one is on Apple...

Reactions: MozMan68

brandonct

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
Even Google Maps seems to have been dodgy with its TTC data lately. I've found that it frequently only has real-time bus info for the main (one and two digit) routes, while the rest just rely on "scheduled" data. Knowing the TTC, I'm not sure how much of this one is on Apple...

This is definitely on apple, I've been in touch in several operators who offer excellent gtfs RT in their open data catalogues. And it's not just TTC, DRT's data gets updated every 120 seconds and has been this way for a couple years.

Apple's transit quality is sometimes (perhaps often) above Google maps so I don't even bother checking out the latter. The gold standards here are actually one pretty small company (Transit app, which is actually Canadian), as well as the international Moovit app, which was founded by the same guy who made Waze and which harnesses crowdsourcing in a similar fashion.

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
This is definitely on apple, I've been in touch in several operators who offer excellent gtfs RT in their open data catalogues. And it's not just TTC, DRT's data gets updated every 120 seconds and has been this way for a couple years.
Yeah, I know the TTC has technically been doing it for years, but over the past few months the data seems to have been far less reliable, especially for secondary routes, and as far as I'm concerned, that one is definitely on the TTC.

I also primarily use Transit, and I agree that it's second to none, but on various occasions when I've spoken with them about data problems, they've had no choice but to shrug their shoulders and say that they can only work with the data they have, which of course is understandable.

Some of the real-time data problems have been there since the beginning — for example, if you're at a stop within a couple of minutes of an endpoint, a bus that's sitting at the station will show a two-minute arrival time for about 10 minutes while the bus sits at the station waiting for its scheduled departure, and while that's sort of understandable, there are several ways the TTC could avoid it if they actually cared.

However, lately there have been much worse problems. Real-time tracking is intermittently available on secondary routes (even in Transit), and when it is available, timings are frequently way off, buses will randomly disappear from the routes entirely, only to actually show up five minutes later (even though none of the apps have any indication that said bus even exists). Or a bus that's scheduled to be coming in five minutes never shows up at all, despite a real-time tracking countdown that says it's coming and even counts down to zero with no bus in sight. Of course, the TTC's schedule is a mess at the best of times, and sometimes I wonder if they've disabled real-time tracking on some routes deliberately just to obscure that fact.

I check Google Maps from time to time out of curiosity, and it was about six months ago they stopped tracking most of the secondary bus routes in Toronto, which I found rather odd. However, that was around the same time that the data that Transit was providing for many of those routes started to get a bit weird as well, so I assumed that Google just turned off real-time updates entirely for those routes where it wasn't consistently available, whereas Transit is still making a best effort basis to provide it whenever it can. With Apple's penchant for perfectionism, I could see it waiting until it has reliable data across the city before it wants to enable the feature.

brandonct

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2020
Yeah, I know the TTC has technically been doing it for years, but over the past few months the data seems to have been far less reliable, especially for secondary routes, and as far as I'm concerned, that one is definitely on the TTC.

I also primarily use Transit, and I agree that it's second to none, but on various occasions when I've spoken with them about data problems, they've had no choice but to shrug their shoulders and say that they can only work with the data they have, which of course is understandable.

Some of the real-time data problems have been there since the beginning — for example, if you're at a stop within a couple of minutes of an endpoint, a bus that's sitting at the station will show a two-minute arrival time for about 10 minutes while the bus sits at the station waiting for its scheduled departure, and while that's sort of understandable, there are several ways the TTC could avoid it if they actually cared.

However, lately there have been much worse problems. Real-time tracking is intermittently available on secondary routes (even in Transit), and when it is available, timings are frequently way off, buses will randomly disappear from the routes entirely, only to actually show up five minutes later (even though none of the apps have any indication that said bus even exists). Or a bus that's scheduled to be coming in five minutes never shows up at all, despite a real-time tracking countdown that says it's coming and even counts down to zero with no bus in sight. Of course, the TTC's schedule is a mess at the best of times, and sometimes I wonder if they've disabled real-time tracking on some routes deliberately just to obscure that fact.

I check Google Maps from time to time out of curiosity, and it was about six months ago they stopped tracking most of the secondary bus routes in Toronto, which I found rather odd. However, that was around the same time that the data that Transit was providing for many of those routes started to get a bit weird as well, so I assumed that Google just turned off real-time updates entirely for those routes where it wasn't consistently available, whereas Transit is still making a best effort basis to provide it whenever it can. With Apple's penchant for perfectionism, I could see it waiting until it has reliable data across the city before it wants to enable the feature.

You realize the TTC is just one of a dozen agencies in the GTA right? cause none of that is any reason to ignore the real time data for DRT, HRT, etc which is much more reliable than TTC's

jhollington

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2008
Toronto
You realize the TTC is just one of a dozen agencies in the GTA right? cause none of that is any reason to ignore the real time data for DRT, HRT, etc which is much more reliable than TTC's
Oh, of course and I agree completely. I wasn't aware that Apple was ignoring the other areas... My original comments were specifically in response to somebody who pointed out that it wasn't available for the TTC, and since the TTC's data has been sketchy lately, I wasn't entirely surprised by that omission.

OlliFlamme

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2018
Sweden
I think it's a knee-jerk comment that some people make to feel better.
It mostly is a character trait of people that barely achieve and value themselves... If they were, they’d be miles away of their current perspective...

Translation for those people: if you spent your time bashing on everything around you, it surely says more about you than about the topic at hand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.