Apple Maps - Serious Question

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by cardinalryan, Sep 18, 2012.

1. cardinalryan macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

For those of you who are already using iOS6...in your honest opinion, how bad is Apple Maps? I really find a ton of negative reviews and want some honest assessments.

I'll lay it out for you...I'm an original iPhone user and have owned every model, but recently switched to the GS3. I want to go back to the iPhone and will most likely buy a 5, but I'm thinking I will miss Google Maps.

Am I accurate to think this, or will Apple Maps serve me just as well?

2. Mercennarius macrumors member

The bigger question is, will Google Maps be available in the app store?

3. nostresshere macrumors 68030

There have been some discussions in the IOS forums about this.

Google maps will probably still be available.

4. JoshGlzBrk macrumors 6502a

JoshGlzBrk

I'm hoping google will release their own map apps because apple's is just not up to par.

5. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

The next question after that is, will a Google Maps iOS app include turn-by-turn directions like the Android counterpart? My guess is that the answer is still "no" due to Google wanting to keep that feature for Android only.

IMO Apple Maps probably isn't going to be nearly as bad as folks have made it out to be. Frankly, people just expect too much.

6. Mutherluver macrumors member

honestly i disliked it a lot. when looking for a store or something when driving, google always found what i was looking for. using apple maps, nothing ever showed up so i just used safari. it was honestly pathetic. i will miss google maps, hopefully they make an app soon!

7. spinstorm macrumors 65816

It looks nice but lacks the data of Google maps and so is only really useful as a map to see where you are. It won't help you find things like gmaps. hopefully with time it will get better.

If google do make a new maps app id strongly recommend that.

8. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Well I for one thought the google maps sucked on the iphone but not so on Android... maybe now that it will be a separate app it will be better. The turn by turn nav in the apple maps is pretty good IMO.

9. THEAnonymous macrumors member

What?
    People just expect, at the very least, that the product you're replacing (Google Maps) is just as good as your product. So far, it doesn't seem that is the case.

That's not expecting too much.

10. jmgregory1 macrumors 65816

jmgregory1

Chicago and a few other places around the world
    You didn't hear this from me, but the new maps on the GM 6 version is really good. It is most definitely different than google maps but I won't say either is better than the other - different. The final build has good warnings for construction, closed roads and the turn by turn has been working much better than any of the apps I've been using, even before the final build.

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by Apple's in-house maps development. I know I am and I was a strong supporter of Google's mapping app.

11. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

Has Google announced that there will be an app for iOS6 or is this just wishful thinking?

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Performance wise, the vector based solution blows the tile based Google Maps out of the water.

As far as content, Google has had about 10 years to build up their service, Apple has the basics but still will lag for a few years at least.

That said, it does everything I'm looking for right now, I'm interested to see where its going, but so far I'm pretty happy.

13. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I hope you are correct, because one of the things I really love about my S3 is Google Maps...it's implementation is impeccable.

14. bigreat macrumors member

It's really really bad. I have been using it for a couple months, basically, you can only or can't even find places have already existed for 20 years.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Are you on the GM?

16. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

This is discouraging. I think I'm getting the 5 regardless, but this maps thing is a real downer.

17. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

The web app is pretty good. Have you tried it and what did you think?
    It even keeps Transit and Walking routes and adds a beta Bike route option

18. HardHatMac9 macrumors regular

Turn by Turn Directions App (Free)

I've encountered very few problems using the Mapquest App (free) from the App Store. It's accurate, fast and works great with a bluetooth headset as well. Great app for turn by turn directions.

19. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Google switched to vector maps in Android 10 months ago.

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Only in Android.

21. cardinalryan thread starter macrumors 6502

cardinalryan

I was going to say, there's no denying Google Maps greatness within Android. There are a lot of things I prefer about iOS, but Maps is fantastically integrated in Android.

22. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

I am using the GM and my experience does not match this. The integration with Siri is nice, but the couple of times I've used it made me glad I still have 3rd party apps - it has a long way to go to catch up to the competition, slick interface aside.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is exactly why Apple had to go in house, as tensions between the two started rising, each company was restricting features from each others platforms (such as apple ending google exclusivity in the safari search bar).

24. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

As an alternative solution us google mobile maps in safari and make it a web app, works pretty well.

25. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

What was the map company Apple bought for these maps?