Apple Maps still wrong in March 2014

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by desertman, Mar 25, 2014.

1. desertman, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014

desertman macrumors 6502a

Since I have an iPhone I always used Google Maps for navigation and got never, ever misdirected.

Today I tried to use Apple Maps instead (weren't there reports that now everything is ok with Apple Maps?) - and would have ended up in a pile of huge rocks just half a mile away from my home. See attached png file.

I think it is utterly ridiculous and pathetic that Apple is still not willing to get maps from a reliable source.

The conclusion is simple: Stay away from Apple Maps and use Google Maps instead.

Greetings - desertman

Attached Files:

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

I reported incorrect data in iOS 6 beta, and it still hasn't been updated.

3. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I got wrong addresses and misdirections on Google Map many times but I never bother to post (or started a thread) about it. I wonder if this points to the difference on people's perception of these two corporates?

4. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Same here. Been reporting a problem with data since day one. Have reported it on a few occasions and still no changes. So for me no changes either, I will continue to use Google Maps. Not perfect either but better.

5. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is that supposed to mean?

6. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I don't know. Maybe we just associate Apple with *perfection* too much. A few years ago when I tried Google translate I laughed so hard but no one, including me, cared how ridiculous it is. People just thought oh, it will get better. Just like when I got a wrong address from Google Map I chuckle and thought one day it will be right.
    I dread to think how Apple will be ridiculed if they decide to do translation. :eek:

7. elthesensai macrumors member

elthesensai

Apple Maps still wrong in March 2014

I've used Apple maps for awhile and it's pretty good. Directions in NYC were accurate. With that being said Google Maps blows Apple maps away. The biggest reason though has to do with Google strength and that's search. Lots of POI with peer reviews. That makes it hard to beat. Both of given me bad directions in the past. Tomtom and Garmin is guilty of that as well. None of the turn by turn devices or applications have ever been 100% accurate. I'd imagine that's be near impossible anyway.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Well, there is Mr. Bruce Tognazzini (www.asktog.com) who reports that Google Maps has a road going through his living room. Since 2005.