Apple Maps Transit Directions Expand to Prague, Czech Republic

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 31, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple continues to slowly expand the transit functionality of Apple Maps, today adding Prague, Czech Republic as the third city in Europe behind London and Berlin to be supported.

[​IMG]

Apple Maps transit data in Prague includes the Prague Metro and Esko Prague commuter rail, as well as local trams and buses and even Czech Railways' seasonal Cyklohrácek "excursion train" targeting cyclists and families.

[​IMG]

Prior to today's expansion to Prague, Apple last week added transit information for San Diego, California and areas of British Columbia, Canada including Vancouver and Victoria. Apple Maps transit data is now available in roughly two dozen metropolitan areas scattered around the world, with an additional concentration of cities in China visible to users only when in the country.

(Thanks, Ram!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Transit Directions Expand to Prague, Czech Republic

2. slammer0 macrumors newbie

I think this is the first city where you can get transit directions by app but not by Siri, at least not in the native language - Siri doesn't support Czech.

3. mw360 macrumors 65816

mw360

Let's give that European intern a great big round of applause.

4. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Wohoo, great! Thank you the either the European intern or the person who have visited Prague and liked it that much! :)

5. Andy00m macrumors newbie

6. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

I wish they'd had this when I visited Praha. None of the signage was in English. I ended up walking from one side of Prague to the other and then back on they day I was there.

On the plus side, everything was cheap. I changed a $20 travelers check and couldn't spend it all in one day.

This was 25 years ago. It's probably not like that anymore.

7. Baby12 macrumors member

Wow. But nothing in Poland or any estern countries. Shame

8. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

9. FieldingMellish Suspended

While wonderful for Maps expansion, I'd still like to hear at that, while in NYC and searching for a common street name, that Apple maps does not first show me that common street name on another continent.

10. Simche macrumors member

Simche

This is good news, I'm all for it.

Strange thing though, is that they've made it available in Czech Republic which doesn't have an Apple Retail presence & only 1 Flyover city (Prague ofc). YET they recieve this exclusivity, when for example Sweden (3 Apple Retail Store, 5 Flyover locations) has a need for it. People comute here regularely and local traffic in general is available everywhere for everyone, Transit would be a big welcome to have.

11. palmerc macrumors 6502

palmerc

If you only knew what a **** show the job of public transit data can be. Each and every town can operate independently and with very little in the way of standards. Not to mention the fiefdoms and ownership issues.

Apples first choice to push the problem to the public transit authorities was the logical decision from a developer pain standpoint, unfortunately you can't rely on public transit agencies to have budget or even interest in a reasonable user experience

12. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

To me as a user it doesn't help.

13. Schranke macrumors 6502a

Schranke

Glad to see one more european city joining:)
    I do however not have any hopes of this coming to Denmark anytime soon. i think we have to many delays and work done within our public transport sector for this to ever make sense for a developer:rolleyes:

14. palmerc macrumors 6502

palmerc

I was responding to your statement that it would take 20 years, which while hyperbolic is not exactly inaccurate.

In my own personal experience as a developer for such apps, even seemingly well run public transit agencies have terrible IT Infrastructure, poorly conceived APIs and cobble together data from several systems - Realtime data, scheduled, GIS (walking directions), and some sort of deviation notification system.

In the end, you end up with a custom solution per town, and sometimes even by form of transit (for example bus company and light rail are two different entities). Hence, the slow pace of progress.

15. IGI2 macrumors 6502

IGI2

Sorry man, the truth is he was TOO optimistic. It will take about 70 years to get to the Poland, a country which is four times bigger than Czech Republic.

16. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

I
    I was about to ask why it was taking so long... Thanks for answering so quickly!

17. John Mcgregor Suspended

John Mcgregor

Maybe Apple can learn from them - http://www.trafi.com
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Yeah i kinda was optimistic in my gestimate :)

18. Creek0512 macrumors 6502

But does Sweden have an Apple Museum?

19. Baby12 macrumors member

In Poland Apple maps are totally useless! Most of features do not work. I mean nearby feature, FlyOver, transit, Siri. In Poland we love contactless payments but Apple Pay seems to be far dream.

Google maps offers more options
    Firstly transit
    Secondly fantastic navigation with line suggestions
    Thirdly street view

And so much more!
    In Poland for 16GB iPhone 6S we have to pay around 800€ and we get 1/2 of iPhone. That's true. I hope Apple will notice central and eatern Europe.

20. truthertech macrumors 68000

Facts- While over two hundred million people are now in areas covered by Apple Transit, along with a thousand cities, here's why Apple declined to simply throw the switch and turn them all one at once, ala Google.

-http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/07/07/why-apples-transit-maps-are-rolling-out-so-slowly

21. IGI2 macrumors 6502

IGI2

Amen.

Great post man, so true.

I'm glad I didn't have to write it.

100% true.

22. Gasu E. macrumors 601

Gasu E.

Thank you. Great article!

23. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Prague Transit on Maps has a particular problem: There are tram stations and metro stations with the same name, and Maps will guide you to whichever one is nearer to you - even when you can save 20 minutes travel time by walking another 100 meters.