Apple Maps Transit Directions Go Live in Iceland

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have updated its Maps coverage to add transit directions in Iceland, with a focus on bus routes in and around the capital, Reykjavik.

Apple Maps users in the region can now select public transportation routes when getting directions between two locations.

Transit directions were first added to Apple Maps in 2015 with the launch of iOS 9. Maps initially only offered transit information in a handful of cities, but over the course of the last five years, Apple has worked to expand the feature to additional areas.

Transit information is now live in dozens of cities and countries around the world, with a full list available on Apple's iOS and iPadOS Feature Availability website, although it has not yet been updated to include Iceland.

(Thanks, Jasmine!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Transit Directions Go Live in Iceland

Last edited:

JVNPhoto

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2017
This has been live several weeks already here in Iceland. They've also updated the maps themselves a few months ago with much more detail, bike lanes, and road conditions/closures. Very useful.

Last edited:

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
so thats the country where the capital is reykjavik!
i could never remember it was iceland...

• Wow
Reactions: Shifts

beanbaguk

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
If the directions are like what I have in Spain, it'll be as useful as walking into a brick wall.

Only this morning I used Apple Maps (for it's only useful feature to share journeys), to head to my inlaws home, and it wanted me to literally drive off a mountain....

Useless garbage!

Kabeyun

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
Seriously what's taking them so long to roll out this feature at least across all European Union member states?
Valid question, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t a valid answer.
Only this morning I used Apple Maps (for it's only useful feature to share journeys), to head to my inlaws home, and it wanted me to literally drive off a mountain....

Useless garbage!
You had a bad experience therefore it’s useless garbage. Thank you for personifying the internet.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Good for Iceland! Interesting since it's mostly bus-based, subject to significant seasonal route and timetable changes, and very useful given how many tourists go there. Iceland has a small population but millions of visitors (provided viruses and volcanoes are under control).

Kabeyun

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2004
Eastern USA
In his experience and in his opinion it is useless garbage. He is not claiming to be speaking for others so I see nothing wrong with his statement.
Then let me explain. Should one bad experience make something useless garbage? I’d bet money that even in his experience Apple Maps would be largely accurate, and probably improving over time. The internet is bloated with overreactions, histrionics, and the triggered. Everything is either your enemy or your bestie. I’d wager the “useless garbages” out there vastly outnumber the “could be better in my experiences.”

Northern Man

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2013
Then let me explain. Should one bad experience make something useless garbage? I’d bet money that even in his experience Apple Maps would be largely accurate, and probably improving over time. The internet is bloated with overreactions, histrionics, and the triggered. Everything is either your enemy or your bestie. I’d wager the “useless garbages” out there vastly outnumber the “could be better in my experiences.”
Thanks for your explanation which I did not require nor solicit. Enjoy your weekend if you can.

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
Next it'll go live in Kiribati. Seriously what's taking them so long to roll out this feature at least across all European Union member states?
Probably the fact that often (even within a country) every city has their own API... so it's a tedious job as fetching traffic needs to be adapted by hand for every city...

My guess is, that city-size divided by effort (to reliably fetch data from the public transport API) is how adding new cities are prioritized

boss.king

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
A "largely accurate" map service is a bad experience, considering the instances where it messes up could cost you hours of travel.

I recently tested Apple Maps where I live, looking for four local businesses and a park I regularly visit. It could direct me to one of the businesses. I don't speak for everyone, but as far as my experience goes, I'd call that pretty useless.

Largely accurate is only good enough when that's the standard for the industry. Unfortunately there are several more competent navigation apps out there, and so largely accurate in this case falls far short of the mark.

chucker23n1

macrumors 601
Dec 7, 2014
Next it'll go live in Kiribati. Seriously what's taking them so long to roll out this feature at least across all European Union member states?
Many more data providers to work with. Over a dozen just in Germany. Probably upwards of a hundred for all of the EU.

jouster

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2002
Connecticut
Good for Iceland! Interesting since it's mostly bus-based, subject to significant seasonal route and timetable changes, and very useful given how many tourists go there. Iceland has a small population but millions of visitors (provided viruses and volcanoes are under control).
How do you ensure volcanoes are under control?

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
All these people with horrible experiences never seem to provide proof of it telling them to "drive off a mountain."

Not a picture? Not a "tell the map to take you here and you'll see what I mean" statement? You know, you can record your screen from the control center and even take a video of it happening...but no, did you think to do that and replicate the issue to share with the world??

I'm in the camp of "I'll believe it when I see it" when it comes to these type of posts.

We come across issues in every mapping software all the time. And when that happens, some post actual pictures or examples in places like the Maps thread or on the Apple Maps Reddit page. When they do, others try to replicate to see if it is a real issue or an isolated incident (or it never happened as the original poster thought it did). Funny enough, no one has ever posted a picture, video or been able to give an example of Maps telling them to drive off a mountain. In most cases, the worst that has been seen is a misplaced POI (report it) or traffic glitch that gives a slower route.

Google Maps has had me making illegal turns and going in the wrong direction many times...reported and fixed. Waze routed me through a cemetery once and down dirt roads that would have required a lifted 4x4 vehicle. Reported and fixed.

Strangely enough, Apple Maps has never done that type of what I would call "dangerous" directions...ever! Bad POI info, sure, but not in the past 2 years for me and was sporadic before that.

Commodore 64

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2009
If the directions are like what I have in Spain, it'll be as useful as walking into a brick wall.

Useless garbage!
I suppose they have the experience that a lot of people would rather drive off a mountain than visit their in-laws...;)🤣😇

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
The internet is bloated with overreactions, histrionics, and the triggered. Everything is either your enemy or your bestie. I’d wager the “useless garbages” out there vastly outnumber the “could be better in my experiences.”
All these people with horrible experiences never seem to provide proof of it telling them to "drive off a mountain."

Not a picture? Not a "tell the map to take you here and you'll see what I mean" statement? You know, you can record your screen from the control center and even take a video of it happening...but no, did you think to do that and replicate the issue to share with the world??
I just find it odd that people continually complain about a service "they don't use" for the past eight years. I don't like Final Cut Pro X, but I haven't been complaining about it for a decade.

Reactions: Kabeyun

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2016

Useless garbage!
Did you drive off the mountain?

odin

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Some of you getting bad directions I would ask if you’re reporting the issues to Apple. I ask because they seem to be much more responsive with the new maps. In the past I’ve reported and they’d make corrections but it could take quite a while.

With the latest I’m seeing responses and corrections in a day or two, and always within a week.

• Disagree
Reactions: B4U

MozMan68

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2010
Right here...
Some of you getting bad directions I would ask if you’re reporting the issues to Apple. I ask because they seem to be much more responsive with the new maps. In the past I’ve reported and they’d make corrections but it could take quite a while.

With the latest I’m seeing responses and corrections in a day or two, and always within a week.
I think most of the people I hear complaining live outside the USA and are still on the “non-Apple” data.

Despite that though, most seem to be as stated above; still complaining about why may have happened to them years ago and probably exaggerating at that.

• Disagree
Reactions: odin and boss.king

one more

macrumors 68000
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Just some feedback on my current Apple Maps experience as a European, driving mostly around eastern areas of France and Switzerland.

Both countries are on the “old” set of Apple Maps, yet both have lane guidance and public transport on.

Apple Maps positives:
- a clean clear UI with very well implemented lane guidance, IMO;
- the routing options seem to prioritise simpler and more straightforward routes to follow; this, however, might also mean that they would not include some useful shortcuts known to locals;
- during the Covid-related border-closures, I was quite surprised to see that Apple Maps knew and accurately showed routes through the borders open only at certain times of the day. Meantime, Google Maps would route people through the biggest and thus often congested road.

Apple Maps negatives:
- POIs

So I am looking forward to the new Apple Maps coming over here, but for now am quite happy using them they way they are, mostly due to the cleanest UI, compared to the competition.

Reactions: MozMan68

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Probably the fact that often (even within a country) every city has their own API... so it's a tedious job as fetching traffic needs to be adapted by hand for every city...

My guess is, that city-size divided by effort (to reliably fetch data from the public transport API) is how adding new cities are prioritized
Isn’t GTFS the standard for public transit schedules? Most of these systems used by US cities and EU cities are quite universal and Apple taps into these feeds.

I know cities like London, NYC, Phoenix, Portland, LA, Berlin, Paris etc all use GTFS. Most bus/train CAD/AVL systems will output in GTFS including those by Clever Devices (NYC, Phoenix, Chicago), Conduent (LA, SF, Paris), and Trapeze (London, Baltimore, NJTransit, Tokyo), etc.

source; worked in public transit for far too long.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.