MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Maps vehicles equipped with LiDAR technology have started surveying select regions of Czech Republic this month, collecting street-level imagery and data, according to a list of locations maintained on Apple's website. Apple also started surveying the neighboring country of Poland in May as image collection expands across Eastern Europe.

apple-maps-and-look-around.jpg

Apple will use the data collected to improve its Maps app and expand its Look Around feature beyond the five countries where it is currently supported, including parts of the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, and Japan. Introduced in iOS 13, Look Around is similar to Google's Street View, providing a street-level view of a location with high-resolution 3D imagery that can be zoomed and panned.

In areas where Look Around is available, a binoculars icon appears in the top-right corner of the Maps app. Tapping that icon opens a street-level view in a card overlay at the top of the screen, which can then be expanded to a full-screen view. Look Around also appears in the search results for a supported city, below the Flyover and Directions buttons.

Apple Maps‌ vehicles have also surveyed all or parts of the United States, Canada, the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Belgium, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Croatia, Singapore, and select other countries since data collection began in 2015. In some areas where streets are not easily accessible, Apple employees collect data using portable systems, such as a backpack with LiDAR equipment.

Apple says it is committed to protecting the public's privacy while conducting these surveys. For example, Apple blurs out faces and license plates in street-level imagery that is made available through the Look Around feature.

(Thanks, Jan!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles Begin Collecting 'Look Around' Imagery in Czech Republic

user0779

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2021
Feels like Christmas when you read something about Apple & Czech Republic.

We need:
- Siri in Czech language
- Apple Watch with LTE
- Apple Store in Prague

Thank you and sorry for bothering 99.95% of MacRumors members 😀
Same here in Slovenia 🇸🇮
+ we have been waiting for iOS translation for wayyyy tooooo looong 🥲

Ley's hope that day comes one day 🤞

Comment

Ken88

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2020
* dining at the restaurant * reading latest Macrumors thread. Country of Czech map came up.

me: “ I don’t care about Czech. That’s it..I’m outta here. waiter, CHECK please “.

waiter brought a tablet with a map of ZCECH. I asked “ why you brought me a map of Czech? Waiter replied, “ sir you did ask for Czech “. “ yes I sure did but I was asking for CHECK..you know 5-letter word starts with letter C “..waiter, “ sir, you DO know Czech have 5-letter word and it happens start with letter C..” of course you’re right how silly of me “..next time I am going to eat at pizzeria called “ eatery “😆

• Sad
Reactions: Unsupported
Comment

DesertNomad

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2008
Nevada
I lived in the Czech Republic for 12 years. It'd be great to see an Apple store there. I got lucky with the first Intel MacBook Pros - an Apple dealer in Prague accidentally ended up with the MBP which had an American keyboard and American power adapter. They sold it to me at a discount because it was an oddball machine in that market. :D

Reactions: TheWatchfulOne
Comment

GumaRodak

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2015
A u nas ani ofiko shop nemaju... 😂😂
And here apple cant have even official shop ..

Comment

swm

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2013
- Apple Watch with LTE
this entirely depends on your carriers. t mobile czech could do the trick, as tmobile germany and magyar telekom did.
but in most cases telco’s internal it systems are a massive pile of overly convoluted dung. and AW LTE requires tight integration, which is quite different from the regular “eSIM support” they might already have, and also the use of a so called entitlement server to interact with apple.

Comment

hagar

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2008
Still waiting for the many many other features in my country (Belgium) announced over the years.

Where is real-time public transport, speed limits, accident reporting, bike navigation, … ? And the most important one: road works on the municipal level.

Why the glacial pace, Apple? What resources does Google have that you don’t?

Reactions: one more
Comment

meme1255

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2012
Czechia
Feels like Christmas when you read something about Apple & Czech Republic.

We need:
- Siri in Czech language
- Apple Watch with LTE
- Apple Store in Prague

Thank you and sorry for bothering 99.95% of MacRumors members 😀
I could manage live without this… The #1 priority should be a real CZ Apple Support which is actually able to provide at least some help, not the … thing they offer now if you make the mistake to call them.

Comment

LV426

macrumors 65816
Jan 22, 2013
I’d quite like to drive one of these mapping cars. It would be a bit like Grand Theft Auto, minus the carnage.

Comment

one more

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Still waiting for the many many other features in my country (Belgium) announced over the years.

Where is real-time public transport, speed limits, accident reporting, bike navigation, … ? And the most important one: road works on the municipal level.

Why the glacial pace, Apple? What resources does Google have that you don’t?

The same applies to France and Switzerland. 🖐 Buffles me too, practically limitless resources and taking so long to implement. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: CosmicRadiation
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.