Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

LiDAR-equipped Apple Maps vehicles are surveying select regions of Israel, New Zealand, and Singapore through early 2021, collecting street-level imagery and data, according to a list of locations maintained on Apple's website.

apple-maps-and-look-around.jpg

Apple will use the data collected to improve its Maps app and expand its Look Around feature beyond the five countries where it is currently supported, including parts of the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, and Japan. Introduced in iOS 13, Look Around is similar to Google's Street View, providing a street-level view of a location with high-resolution 3D imagery that can be zoomed and panned.

In areas where Look Around is available, a binoculars icon appears in the top-right corner of the Maps app. Tapping that icon opens a street-level view in a card overlay at the top of the screen, which can then be expanded to a full-screen view. Look Around also appears in the search results for a supported city, below the Flyover and Directions buttons.

Apple Maps‌ vehicles have also surveyed parts of Australia, Belgium, Italy, France, Spain, Portugal, the Netherlands, Slovenia, Croatia, and select other countries since data collection began in 2015. In some areas where streets are not easily accessible, Apple employees collect data using portable systems, such as a backpack with LiDAR.

(Thanks, Assaf!)

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles Collecting 'Look Around' Imagery in Israel, New Zealand, and Singapore

Konigi

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2017
Montréal, Québec
I gather it might take up to two years before it becomes available to the users. Unless they speed up the process for new countries.

It just appeared in Canada this month, while I saw their cars two years ago on the streets. I'm really liking it, higher quality than Google Street Maps.

Reactions: dreyp82

Polyphonie

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2013
Toronto
I’m in Canada and Apple didn’t bother to drive down my street so I can’t see my house.

I’m in Toronto Canada and Look Around work from downtown where I live all the way to Oakville, Hamilton etc

I’m in Canada and Apple didn’t bother to drive down my street so I can’t see my house.

Attachments

• 6C4DD046-4FF0-4B6A-8432-4D59960209CE.png
    6C4DD046-4FF0-4B6A-8432-4D59960209CE.png
    2 MB · Views: 35

Kentoch Mervel

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2020
I am really wondering what will be the update frequency for Look Around. Here in Montreal (Griffintown), the landscape is actually very different since construction has been severe for the last year and a half.

Reactions: NMBob

dreyp82

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2018
Barbados
I wonder how often Apple will update already existing places? I live in an area with a fair bit of teardown / new construction, and quite a bit of their current maps are out of date.

You can submit a report using the Maps app to state where is outdated or have incorrectly labelled places or buildings.

Robospungo

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2020
I don’t think they’ll ever be able to compete with Google in this space. I grew up in a very small Canadian town, and google has had every detail of the entire town captured for years now.

I do prefer using Apple maps though.

Reactions: NMBob

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Not sure where you are but I’m in Toronto and Apple Maps + Lookaround is a LOT better than Google Maps in North York! I’ve checked 4 places I’ve lived in Toronto (North York, East York, Downtown by Princess Gates, and Mississauga) and all have updated information where GMaps has data that is over 5yrs old!

PS: The only slight advantage of GMaps has over Lookaround is some businesses GMaps cameras have gone onto their property. Example Lookup a business lot and GMaps has driving onto the driveway and around, Apple Maps. + LookAround doesn’t. That maybe a privacy point of view or just rapid ignorance for roll-out.

Honestly I’m VERY happy with Apple Maps and have been since year 4, been using it on/off since its debut. So ... Forstall was right to have Apple implement their own mapping system. It wasn’t a failure, just lack of resources to get it right at a much quicker pace.

matt_randal

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2005
New Zealand
I saw them 3 weeks ago driving around the back roads of Wanaka New Zealand in a Subaru Impreza. It would have been capturing some great views of the mountains :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.