• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has published a support document on its website confirming that it has been using a fleet of vehicles to collect street-level imagery for Apple Maps. Apple outlines that it will blur faces and license plates on images, as Google Maps does for Street View, and lists where Apple Maps vehicles will be driving in the United States, England and Ireland between June 15 and June 30.
"Apple is driving vehicles around the world to collect data which will be used to improve Apple Maps. Some of this data will be published in future Apple Maps updates. We are committed to protecting your privacy while collecting this data. For example, we will blur faces and license plates on collected images prior to publication."
Apple has been driving around fifth-generation Dodge Caravans equipped with LiDAR camera equipment on the roof to collect street-level imagery in the United States, starting with major cities and metropolitan areas in the south, northeast and midwest regions of the country. The mapping vehicles have been spotted in at least a dozen states to date as they continue moving further inland.

Apple-Van-New-Jersey.jpg
Apple Map vehicle collecting street-level imagery in New Jersey in May 2015

MacRumors has been tracking Apple Maps vehicles in the United States for the past several months, with the first sightings occurring in New York City in August 2014. Since then, using verified photos with GPS metadata, we have confirmed Apple Maps vehicle sightings in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Francisco and many other areas. Many of those locations are listed below.

Click on the map for an interactive view of Apple Maps vehicle sightings in the U.S.​

• Anaheim, California
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Chicago, Illinois
  • Dallas, Texas
  • Las Vegas, Nevada
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Maui, Hawaii
  • Miami, Florida
  • New York City, New York
  • Orlando, Florida
  • Palo Alto, California
  • Phoenix, Arizona
  • Salt Lake City, Utah
  • San Diego, California
  • San Francisco, California
  • Sunnyvale, California

Apple confirms many of these locations in the support document, while adding Oahu, Boston, Detroit, St. Louis, Seattle, Tucson and surrounding counties as additional U.S. regions it will be surveying in the second half of June. Apple Maps vehicles will also head overseas to collect street-level imagery in Birmingham, Dublin, Essex, Kent, London and several other cities and counties in England and Ireland.

The collection of street-level imagery is part of Apple's larger shift towards in-house mapping data, in order to reduce its reliance on third-party companies such as TomTom, which has provided data for Apple Maps since it launched. Apple is also allegedly taking photos of businesses, storefronts and other points of interest to replace photos currently provided by Yelp and other third parties.

Send your photos of Apple Maps vans to tips@macrumors.com.

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles Collecting 'Street View' Data in US, UK and Ireland

Last edited:
Reactions: Stenar

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
No joke, I was in the car with someone who used Apple maps to drive to a restaurant.

it sent it to the wrong one.

So No, Apple should focus on things they do well, they are 10 years too late in the 'map' industry

Comment

Loucifer

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2012
London

Apple has published a support document on its website confirming that it has been using a fleet of vehicles to collect street-level imagery for Apple Maps. Apple outlines that it will blur faces and license plates on images, as Google Maps does for Street View, and lists where Apple Maps vehicles will be driving in the United States, England and Ireland between June 15 to June 30.Apple has been driving around fifth-generation Dodge Caravans equipped with LiDAR camera equipment on the roof to collect street-level imagery in the United States, starting with major cities and metropolitan areas in the south, northeast and midwest regions of the country. The mapping vehicles have been spotted in at least a dozen states to date as they continue moving further inland.

Apple-Van-New-Jersey.jpg

Apple Map vehicle collecting street-level imagery in New Jersey in May 2015

MacRumors has been tracking Apple Maps vehicles in the United States for the past several months, with the first sightings occurring in New York City in August 2014. Since then, using verified photos with GPS metadata, we have confirmed Apple Maps vehicle sightings in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Francisco and many other areas. Many of those locations are listed below.

Click on the map for an interactive view of Apple Maps vehicle sightings in the U.S.
Anaheim, California
Atlanta, Georgia
Chicago, Illinois
Dallas, Texas
Las Vegas, Nevada
Los Angeles, California
Maui, Hawaii
Miami, Florida
New York City, New York
Orlando, Florida
Palo Alto, California
Phoenix, Arizona
Salt Lake City, Utah
San Diego, California
San Francisco, California
Sunnyvale, California

Apple confirms many of these locations in the support document, while adding Oahu, Boston, Detroit, St. Louis, Seattle, Tucson and surrounding counties as additional U.S. regions it will be surveying in the second half of June. Apple Maps vehicles will also head overseas to collect street-level imagery in Birmingham, Dublin, Essex, Kent, London and several other cities in England and Ireland.

The collection of street-level imagery is part of Apple's larger shift towards in-house mapping data, in order to reduce its reliance on third-party companies such as TomTom, which has provided data for Apple Maps since it launched. Apple is also allegedly taking photos of businesses, storefronts and other points of interest to replace photos currently provided by Yelp and other third parties.

Send your photos of Apple Maps vans to tips@macrumors.com.

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles Collecting 'Street View' Data in US, UK and Ireland

Just a quick note to help you out: Essex and Kent are counties (a county is an administrative district), not cities. x

Comment

cambox

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
omnipresent
They are mapping the whole of the UK and not just a few cities? UK being England, Scotland, Wales and NI. Apple maps have been a disaster so why they are bothering I really don't know. Google have a huge lead on Apple in this sector of mobile maps.

Comment

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
No joke, I was in the car with someone who used Apple maps to drive to a restaurant.

it sent it to the wrong one.

So No, Apple should focus on things they do well, they are 10 years too late in the 'map' industry

And Google maps has done the same thing to me in the past. So what? While Google has had a decade+ to get their data act together, Apple will catch up. Apple Maps is a nicer app to use, it's never, ever sent me to the wrong place and, unlike Google they don't use me as a pawn to sell to their real customers.

Comment

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I wonder why Apple is doing this now instead of before they canceled their maps contract with Google. Makes it seem like the original switch to apple maps was a impulse decision with no pre planning.

Reactions: satcomer
Comment

MagicHAM

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
Australia
I would pay a fair bit to,think that apple had already started planning out the future direction of its map,service and eventually adding street view to its map service pre planning around the ios4 or ios5 versions.

Comment

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Oh, all the naysays are out early. Switched from google maps to Apple when it first came out. Sure it was not that good. But to not realize that it has improved seems silly. It has. By a lot. I like it better and the integration with everything else on my phone means there is no way I am using google (and that is before we talk about privacy). Yes google on paper is ahead of Apple. But integration counts. To use Google stuff that integrates with everything else, the best case is to get a google phone. On an Apple phone, what apple is doing with their apps means I will keep using it. (deep integration through out -- mail, safari, etc. Hand-off. Siri.)

Comment

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Good to see apple putting more effort into maps. I'm still on google maps, though, apple still has some way to go to match the quality in my opinion.

Reactions: V.K.
Comment

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
It seems Apple are really going for it with Apple Maps.

I wonder if they can collect data showing user use of Apple or Google Maps on iPhone.
And if the balance is shifting towards Apple Maps in recent months..

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.