Apple Maps Vehicles Collecting 'Street View' Data in US, UK and Ireland

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 10, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has published a support document on its website confirming that it has been using a fleet of vehicles to collect street-level imagery for Apple Maps. Apple outlines that it will blur faces and license plates on images, as Google Maps does for Street View, and lists where Apple Maps vehicles will be driving in the United States, England and Ireland between June 15 and June 30.
    Apple has been driving around fifth-generation Dodge Caravans equipped with LiDAR camera equipment on the roof to collect street-level imagery in the United States, starting with major cities and metropolitan areas in the south, northeast and midwest regions of the country. The mapping vehicles have been spotted in at least a dozen states to date as they continue moving further inland.

[​IMG]
    Apple Map vehicle collecting street-level imagery in New Jersey in May 2015

MacRumors has been tracking Apple Maps vehicles in the United States for the past several months, with the first sightings occurring in New York City in August 2014. Since then, using verified photos with GPS metadata, we have confirmed Apple Maps vehicle sightings in Atlanta, Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Francisco and many other areas. Many of those locations are listed below.

[​IMG]
    Click on the map for an interactive view of Apple Maps vehicle sightings in the U.S.​

Anaheim, California
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Chicago, Illinois
    Dallas, Texas
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Los Angeles, California
    Maui, Hawaii
    Miami, Florida
    New York City, New York
    Orlando, Florida
    Palo Alto, California
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    San Diego, California
    San Francisco, California
    Sunnyvale, California

Apple confirms many of these locations in the support document, while adding Oahu, Boston, Detroit, St. Louis, Seattle, Tucson and surrounding counties as additional U.S. regions it will be surveying in the second half of June. Apple Maps vehicles will also head overseas to collect street-level imagery in Birmingham, Dublin, Essex, Kent, London and several other cities and counties in England and Ireland.

The collection of street-level imagery is part of Apple's larger shift towards in-house mapping data, in order to reduce its reliance on third-party companies such as TomTom, which has provided data for Apple Maps since it launched. Apple is also allegedly taking photos of businesses, storefronts and other points of interest to replace photos currently provided by Yelp and other third parties.

Send your photos of Apple Maps vans to tips@macrumors.com.

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles Collecting 'Street View' Data in US, UK and Ireland

2. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

"Apple is working on a self-driving card."

3. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

4. jhts macrumors newbie

Awesome, I'll be sure to put my NSFW underwear on the washing line.

5. RichTF macrumors regular

RichTF

I've loved the switch to Apple Maps, although admittedly I live in London which is well-supported. Looking forward to this change — their data is slowly catching up with Google's, and their app remains (for me anyway) much nicer to use.

6. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

Classic misdirection. Apple Car confirmed! :)

7. uid15 Suspended

uid15

All this effort, and for what? Google have already saved them the time and expense.

8. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

No joke, I was in the car with someone who used Apple maps to drive to a restaurant.

it sent it to the wrong one.

So No, Apple should focus on things they do well, they are 10 years too late in the 'map' industry

9. Loucifer macrumors member

Loucifer

Just a quick note to help you out: Essex and Kent are counties (a county is an administrative district), not cities. x

10. DaveN macrumors 6502a

DaveN

To keep your usage data anonymous.

11. darcyf macrumors 6502

darcyf

Just a friendly reminder, Apple, that Canada is accessible by road from the U.S... :rolleyes:

12. MagicHAM macrumors 6502

MagicHAM

Apple street view , would,be good if the maps didn't lead me into a river or into a street that doesn't exist anymore.

13. cambox macrumors 6502

They are mapping the whole of the UK and not just a few cities? UK being England, Scotland, Wales and NI. Apple maps have been a disaster so why they are bothering I really don't know. Google have a huge lead on Apple in this sector of mobile maps.

14. rdlink macrumors 68040

rdlink

And Google maps has done the same thing to me in the past. So what? While Google has had a decade+ to get their data act together, Apple will catch up. Apple Maps is a nicer app to use, it's never, ever sent me to the wrong place and, unlike Google they don't use me as a pawn to sell to their real customers.

15. theFly macrumors member

theFly

Yes, but now you'll be able to see what part of the river you're driving into before it does.

16. MagicHAM macrumors 6502

MagicHAM

Haha that's true.

17. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

I wonder why Apple is doing this now instead of before they canceled their maps contract with Google. Makes it seem like the original switch to apple maps was a impulse decision with no pre planning.

18. MagicHAM macrumors 6502

MagicHAM

I would pay a fair bit to,think that apple had already started planning out the future direction of its map,service and eventually adding street view to its map service pre planning around the ios4 or ios5 versions.

19. 2457282 Suspended

Oh, all the naysays are out early. Switched from google maps to Apple when it first came out. Sure it was not that good. But to not realize that it has improved seems silly. It has. By a lot. I like it better and the integration with everything else on my phone means there is no way I am using google (and that is before we talk about privacy). Yes google on paper is ahead of Apple. But integration counts. To use Google stuff that integrates with everything else, the best case is to get a google phone. On an Apple phone, what apple is doing with their apps means I will keep using it. (deep integration through out -- mail, safari, etc. Hand-off. Siri.)

20. 2457282 Suspended

Yes, you are right. Someone should have been fired for that. Oh, wait....

21. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Good to see apple putting more effort into maps. I'm still on google maps, though, apple still has some way to go to match the quality in my opinion.

22. HabSonic macrumors regular

Is it me or the UK has suddenly become the second priority for Apple instead of Canada?

23. Kariya macrumors 68000

Kariya

If people had your mentality we'd still be using Windows Mobile and XP

24. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

It seems Apple are really going for it with Apple Maps.

I wonder if they can collect data showing user use of Apple or Google Maps on iPhone.
    And if the balance is shifting towards Apple Maps in recent months..

25. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

It's hard to fire a dead person. And Steve Jobs absolutely was involved in Apple's maps strategy.