Apple Maps Vehicles to Begin Surveying Final U.S. States

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As part of its efforts to rebuild Apple Maps, Apple has been collecting street-level data with LiDAR-equipped vehicles for over three years, with at least 45 states across the U.S. partially surveyed to date.

[​IMG]

That total is set to rise in the coming months, as Apple has confirmed it will begin surveying Alaska, South Carolina, and Tennessee between March and July, according to an update to its recently revamped Apple Maps image collection website. Data collection is also set to continue in seven other states over that time.
    To our best knowledge, the only states that Apple has yet to confirm surveying are Arkansas and Oklahoma, although Twitter users have spotted the vehicles in both states since last year and perhaps earlier. It's possible the vehicles were only passing through those states without collecting mapping data.

Whether the total is 48 or 50 states, Apple's surveying efforts have reached nearly every corner of the United States. Apple plans to roll out its improved Maps app across the country section by section over the next year.

The improvements first rolled out in Northern California in iOS 12 and have extended to Hawaii and Southern California over the past few months. The overall look and feel of Apple Maps is mostly the same, but zooming and panning reveals more details like grass, trees, sports fields, and parking lots.

Apple Maps vehicles have also surveyed parts of Croatia, France, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Portugal, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom, and they are headed to Andorra in April, according to Apple's website. It's unclear when the Apple Maps improvements will be available internationally.

Article Link: Apple Maps Vehicles to Begin Surveying Final U.S. States

2. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors member

IRockThat828pScreen

Great! There's one big complaint about Apple fixed. Now fix Siri.

3. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

I've gotten to prefer Apple Maps over Google Maps.

In fact, I recently deleted Google Maps due to privacy concerns.

4. bchery21 macrumors 6502a

bchery21

I enjoy Maps and it's good to know they're improving it. I only turn to Google Maps for POS info which, admittedly, is a big thing.

5. realeric macrumors 65816

realeric

Are Apple still doing Maps business? I thought they abandoned it long time ago.

6. citysnaps macrumors 601

I've been using Apple Maps exclusively for the last 5 years. It's an excellent app. I have no need for google maps.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Never had much of a problem with Apple maps. When I punch in an address, click an address and so forth. It gets me there without a needlessly complicated or questionable route (Waze). Usually it is right on with the address number too. It was a bit shaky at first but by iOS 7/8. I found it to be solid.

I suppose finding points of interest could be better. I use Google for that anyways. Then link it to Apple Maps for navigation.

My only complaint is how many times I have to click it to get it to start navigating. I hate having to choose a route. Then confirm it again. I'd like there to be an option. Where if I click an address from a browser, contact or calendar. It will simply start navigating. At least if I enter an address. Start navigating if I make no selections after a ten or fifteen second timeout.

I'd also like an option to make Apple Maps a top priority for attention. When I'm navigating. I don't want the screen to disappear for a phone call or be partially covered by a notification. Automatic do not disturb only works in cars with Bluetooth.

8. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

There's already 4 out of 5 (5 including me) people saying Apple Maps does not suck, you should try it, it's more accurate than G. Maps nowadays.

9. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

I laugh at all the people who think Maps isn’t any good. People are quick to forget Google started somewhere too. Mapquest was the go to at the time and Google maps had my friends on the complete other side of town driving in circles because their mapping was garbage. Apple has made huge progress. It’s all I’ve used since it’s debut. Admittedly, at first it wasn’t great. In some ways, downright abysmal. I have to give credit where it’s due, Apple has taken on a large undertaking.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 19, 2019 ---
    There’s an auto feature for DND. It should activate upon your movement. I used to use it, but it got old when I wasn’t driving. So I only have it activate when connected to BT.

10. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

"We are committed to protecting your privacy while conducting these surveys. For example, we will blur faces and license plates on collected images prior to publication."

It would be really great if rather than blurring faces, Apple used their capture redundancy to intelligently remove individuals entirely. It'll take time to process given the amount of data they're collecting, but it's not particularly difficult at all.

11. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Agreed, the joke is getting old, Maps came a long way and surpassed Google Maps in many ways, and in the meantime won't sell that data or have dubious privacy standards.

Or, drive at nighttime with insanely sensitive cameras, way less people on the street, I know there are some impressive cameras on the market which can capture colours even at low light levels.

12. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

The only options I see are "When Connected to Car Bluetooth" and "Manually".

13. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

Then apple can go back and repeat to update what was first mapped years ago, I'd imagine.

14. AngerDanger, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

It’s going to be a shame once they wrap things up; we won’t get to see those terrifying data-collection cars in an article every month or so… until one goes rogue. :eek:

spidercar.gif

15. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

That’s bull, Apple maps has lead to to roads that haven’t existed since 2008 and lead me to wrong locations. Apple will never catch up to Google since Google got years head start

16. ksec macrumors 6502a

Again, It needs to compete with GMap on an International Level. I hope we could see some of the improvement soon. May be it really is better as a few comment suggested in US, but everywhere else it pretty much sucks.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Why are you under the impression that Apple Maps “Needs to catch up to google maps”? All that matters, is that Apple Maps continuously keeps improving, as it has over the years. Is it as proficient as Google maps? You’re never going to have a concrete answer on this, but there’s no denying to Apple Maps is certainly much better than it once was.

I admit, I was a Google maps user for years, but Apple Maps from my location, is clutch when I need it most, that I don’t even use Google maps at all, anymore.

18. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

I saw the apple mapping vehicles in my neighborhood and also by my work....I followed it...I may have made faces at it form my car window.....may....

19. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

Not bull, many agree and switched solely to Apple Maps, Google Maps has more mistakes than Apple Maps nowadays, you're living in the past as some others do, as I said before, the joke is getting old.

20. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

I do not use google anymore either...

21. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Yes, the joke is getting old but it's entirely Apple's fault for the joke's existence. Probably shouldn't have overhyped a product that was clearly not ready for prime time. Curious about the rest of your comment though. Which company would be selling data or has dubious privacy standards?

22. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

F3202A2C-3627-4971-A193-FF473B6D558D.jpeg Nothing like this? Odd.

23. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

It was Apple's fault, but that's years ago, people should let it go.

Not Apple, Google tracks you, they know if you're near to a certain place, they can then serve you adds or whatever data.

24. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

not if you turn off the setting. who says apple doesn't or won't sell info? apple? just wait to the iphone sales continue to drop.

25. gtg465x, Feb 19, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2019

gtg465x macrumors 6502

gtg465x

Google lets you opt out of location tracking. You can log in to your Google dashboard and see all of the information they collect about you, and if you've opted out of location history, you won't see any there. I honestly don't understand people's fear of Google. Their privacy terms are clear, they give you easy access to see and delete any data they've collected about you, for some things they let you opt out of the data collection altogether, and they only use your data to show you targeted ads and improve their products. They don't sell your data.

That said, I prefer Apple Maps. But it has nothing to do with privacy concerns.