Apple marketing nonsense

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPad 3, Oct 21, 2011.

1. iPad 3 macrumors member

One of those things that annoys me (but maybe shouldn't), people who get so taken in by apples marketing they refer to products like they are a human, rather than calling it "the iphone" they just say "iphone", as in.

"with iphone you can..."

it makes no sense, its with THE iphone.

The iphone isnt human.

They do this will all there products, just look on their site, listen to the steve jobbs key notes, they always refer to them this was, dont get sucked in by it.

I know this will get down voted to death because a lot of you on here do it, and it will annoy you being told to stop and having it pointed out to you that you have been taken in by marketing, :D

because (an/the) ipad brings the usability...
    (an) imac will enhance your workflow...

etc. etc.

2. deeddawg macrumors 604

Interesting interpretation.

I see the reference as to a platform rather than a device, sort of like if you refer to the Windows operating system as "with Windows, you can..."

3. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, the the iphone is a device in its own right, its a particual product, it must be refered to as such, a key part of apples marketing is to "humanize" their products to help people relate to their machines as if they where an extention of themselves, its no suprise they drop the "the", but what is quite sad is so many people have unknowingly picked up on it!

4. Welovelegend macrumors member

Whats the point? Its just a marketing thing, who cares, at least I never care about "THE". :rolleyes:

5. dotme macrumors 6502a

6. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

"Its just a marketing thing"

I know, hence the thread title.

It shows how many people pick up on the subtle things apple do in their marketing.

7. tk0084 macrumors newbie

The funny thing is that it's not just Apple that does it. Are you on other forums for products (like Microsoft for their Windows 7 commercials) bashing their advertising?

Why do people always have to complain, complain, complain about everything???

8. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

Are you seriosuly trying to suggest they don't do what I've stated in the origanal post, it really would be hard to show a few examples, I would only need to point you to www.apple.com

Yes, there are certainly some exceptions but frequently they drop the an/the.

9. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Apple's philosophy is to get the users to connect with the company in a somewhat personal way.

Jobs died and everybody felt bad like they knew the guy.

Apple markets their products and their image in such a way that you feel connected and you want the next one; people wait in anticipation for the next.

And now they're pushing the ball with Siri, which is this semi sentient being that people will feel comfortable talking to.

You should both watch the TED talk on Apple and their philosophy; a guy did a good presentation on that. Don't know the name of him so just google around.

10. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

It's a brand name. They can use it however they want. Do you order "The Coca Cola" at a restaurant?

Also, I tend not to take English usage tips from someone who uses "there" instead of "their".

11. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly, and they are very sucsessful with this, it would be good to see that TED talk.

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Don't get sucked in by what? I'm more concerned about the number of people on here that seem to want to have literal phone sex with Siri (pro tip - it's software people) rather than how a company refers to its products.

13. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

When Steve announced the iPhone back in 2007 he didn't refer to it as the iPhone. To top it off the original iPhone was referred just as iPhone. The consumers added the 'the' when the 3G launched.

"Today Apple.. Today Apple is going to reinvent the phone. And we're calling iPhone."

14. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

I think you've missed the point big time, I'm not trying to suggest they cant do it, I'm saying they do.

Criticizing what someone says due to a spelling error is always a bad look.

15. elistan macrumors 6502a

I'd suggest you change the thread title, and the overall point of your post, to something like "Marketing nonsense." Because more than just Apple does this. Pay attention to car commercials, for example - you'll hear things like "Lease Camry for blah-blah-blah," "Chevy Cruze gets better gas mileage than Camry," etc. It's not 100% this way, but often enough.

From Toyota's website:
    On Ford's website:
    From Chevy's:

16. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Sorry, but when you comment on how someone uses language, you'd better use it correctly yourself if you want to be taken seriously. There are no blind movie critics.

17. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

I'm more bothered by how Apple's Marketing department is trying it's damnedest to elevate Steve Jobs to god-like status and how the fanboys are more than happy falling all over themselves to oblige. It's leaving a bad taste in my mouth for the whole Apple' experience'. He's not Martin Luther King for god's sake.

18. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Steve Jobs had god like status well before he died, and without much effort on Apple's part. Just sayin.

19. xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Is is not nonsense, but marketing brilliance. Standard usage rules allow for some leeway with product names. Traditionally, dropping "the" is viewed as adding more "punch," for instance, with movie titles. Many product brands can't get away with it. Apple can, and it works.

20. iPad 3 thread starter macrumors member

I think I speak for more than just myself here when I say that you don't like apple being criticized and are trying to use my spelling error as their defence.

When you criticize someone, if you want to be taken seriosuly, don't find a spelling mistake in their post and use that as the sole basis of your argument, its just embarrassing.

----------

It may work for the weaker minded, but for me it stands out a mile every time I hear it.

21. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I couldn't care less if you criticize Apple. I do it myself. And if your criticism is valid, I'm right there with you. Unfortunately for you in this case, it's not, as evidenced by the majority of replies you've received.

But I do take exception to the butchering of the English language by people who are trying to make a point about its misuse. Your post doesn't have just one spelling mistake BTW. It has no less than a half dozen grammatical and punctuation errors.

Maybe stick to a topic you know.

22. xav8tor, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

xav8tor macrumors 6502a

Exactly. Apple is now marketing to the masses, ninety percent of whom are just that...weaker minded. I don't believe a word I see or hear in ANY advertisement. The vast majority of the time, I assume that it is either a lie, or, at best, the truth warped beyond recognition. Either way, as a fairly new user of Apple products after well over two decades on the dark side, I am very happy. As a shareholder, I like what Apple is doing as well.

23. trouble747 macrumors 6502

Are they? How so?

True. But let's not sell him short; he did make a significant contribution to modern technology.

He died relatively young. People tend to react when individuals of such significance leave us. Can't imagine being bothered by it (though you're certainly not the only one). Those who have done far less have received much greater attention in life and death.

24. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

You must be a very sad, bored individual to be irritated that Apple is personifying their merchandise. They are far from the first to do so.

We so-called "weaker minded" people have better things to do rather than look for flaws in which to criticize a company for using a literary function properly.

Oh, and when you criticize a company for personification, if you want to be taken seriously, it is better to sound more educated and make sure that you proofread your posts before submitting them.

25. BadMoon macrumors 6502

Some people scare me a little by how much some things apparently ruin their day. :eek: