Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Unicode Consortium has proposed new guidelines that would allow for reversible emoji. In other words, emojis such as a car or train that currently face to the left or right only would be able to face either direction.

reversible-emoji.jpg
Reversible emoji mockup via Emojipedia

Apple and other vendors would be able to choose which emoji can be reversible on their devices, if any, according to their preferences.

The guidelines are still a draft that should be finalized by time the next major batch of over 100 new emoji characters are made available for companies like Apple to implement starting in the second half of 2018.

The Unicode Consortium has also introduced a handful of new emoji candidates for the second half of 2018, including a swan, badger, infinity, and pirate flag, according to Jeremy Burge at Emojipedia.org.

Unfortunately, for true emoji aficionados, it looks like "Frowning Pile Of Poo" and two other faces haven't made the cut for the next batch.

Emoji 11.0, proposed earlier this year, currently includes 130 new emoji candidates. Some notable inclusions are faces with red hair, faces with no hair, faces with curly or afro hairstyles, and hot and cold faces.

emoji-11-faces.jpg

Other candidates include new superheroes, a firecracker, a fire extinguisher, a test tube, a lacrosse stick with ball, a softball, and a bagel.

emoji-11-objects.jpg

The timeline means that iPhones and iPads could support both the new and reversible emoji in iOS 12 or iOS 12.1 around September to November of next year. The new batch should extend to the Mac as well in a future macOS update.

The emoji included in this article are sample images by Emojipedia.org and could vary slightly from Apple's final designs.

Article Link: Apple May Add Reversible Emoji in iOS 12 and macOS 10.14 Next Year

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA

The Unicode Consortium has proposed new guidelines that would allow for reversible emoji. In other words, emojis such as a car or train that currently face to the left or right only would be able to face either direction.

reversible-emoji.jpg

Reversible emoji mockup via Emojipedia

Apple and other vendors would be able to choose which emoji can be reversible on their devices, if any, according to their preferences.

The guidelines are still a draft that should be finalized by time the next major batch of over 100 new emoji characters are made available for companies like Apple to implement starting in the second half of 2018.

The Unicode Consortium has also introduced a handful of new emoji candidates for the second half of 2018, including a swan, badger, infinity, and pirate flag, according to Jeremy Burge at Emojipedia.org.

Unfortunately, for true emoji aficionados, it looks like "Frowning Pile Of Poo" and two other faces haven't made the cut for the next batch.

Emoji 11.0, proposed earlier this year, currently includes 130 new emoji candidates. Some notable inclusions are faces with red hair, faces with no hair, faces with curly or afro hairstyles, and hot and cold faces.

emoji-11-faces.jpg

Other candidates include new superheroes, a firecracker, a fire extinguisher, a test tube, a lacrosse stick with ball, a softball, and a bagel.

emoji-11-objects.jpg

The timeline means that iPhones and iPads could support both the new and reversible emoji in iOS 12 or iOS 12.1 around September to November of next year. The new batch should extend to the Mac as well in a future macOS update.

The emoji included in this article are sample images by Emojipedia.org and could vary slightly from Apple's final designs.

Article Link: Apple Devices Could Have Reversible Emoji Next Year

Cant wait

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014
Maybe Apple will create a decent organizing and search method into messages. the orange letters are nice, and the tiny glyphs.... but it's still annoying to try and find that one specific emoji that you know exists, so you're left to swiping endlessly in the hopes you can find it.

How about a search bar like they have for #images?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Please let the middle finger be reversible. Right now I just send two in a row, but they're both the same sided hand so it doesn't look proper (although it could be argued that the gesture itself isn't proper, but that's in another sense of the word.)

Hodar1

macrumors regular
Who needs prioritized Bluetooth, when you can get dozens of more unusable emoji's?
I mean, the idea of automatically setting a hierarchy of where Bluetooth goes to for phone calls (1- Phone; 2 - Airpods; 3 - Car Bluetooth) being different from where Bluetooth music is played. I doubt I'm the only one who wants a phone call routed to my Airpods while I'm driving, yet would listen to music in my Car audio system.
No, let's not do that .... more stupid emoji's. How bout some more cat emoji's? Maybe some killer clown emoji's? Certainly they are as useful as 99.5% of the crap emoji's that pollute the keyboard now.

enkadrummer88

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
North Carolina
The first thing an Apple CEO is obligated to do: fire the entire emoji department and hire a new department for developing high end hardware and a better MacOS. Please, quit with the emojis already...

Apple isn't in charge of chosing new emojis. That's up to the Unicode Consortium (as stated in the first sentence of the article). Apple is only in charge of making sure their devices can display them properly once they are standard.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Cue rant about Emoji when the developers responsible for all the current bugs have nothing to do with the designing of them.

Who needs prioritized Bluetooth, when you can get dozens of more unusable emoji's?
I mean, the idea of automatically setting a hierarchy of where Bluetooth goes to for phone calls (1- Phone; 2 - Airpods; 3 - Car Bluetooth) being different from where Bluetooth music is played. I doubt I'm the only one who wants a phone call routed to my Airpods while I'm driving, yet would listen to music in my Car audio system.
No, let's not do that .... more stupid emoji's. How bout some more cat emoji's? Maybe some killer clown emoji's? Certainly they are as useful as 99.5% of the crap emoji's that pollute the keyboard now.
...and there it is! Lol!

Secondempire

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2017
With this onslaught of emoji they better come up with smarter ways to find them. Maybe utilize AI to suggest emoji, based on time of day, previous messages, etc. Maybe one day we don't have to communicate at all, software can auto send emoji and we get auto sent emoji back and so on.

Reactions: 5105973

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
The first thing an Apple CEO is obligated to do: fire the entire emoji department and hire a new department for developing high end hardware and a better MacOS. Please, quit with the emojis already...

Because one has ANYTHING to do with the other. :rolleyes: Also, until you are a majority shareholder, you really have no "obligations" to assign to anyone.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas

I can certainly appreciate the sentiment but it's true that these are (mostly) coming from outside Apple and thus don't take up a lot of dev room. At the same time, the UI for emoji is already bloated so Apple will be forced to invest time, money and resources to build a usable UI. Grrr...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.