Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChazSch

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
we should have the ability to remove some...the list is WAY too long
[doublepost=1512510180][/doublepost]
I dont care what the Macrumors community says. I love emojis, especially with my wife.
true....
[doublepost=1512510249][/doublepost]
People should not be using emoji. It's pretty ridiculous and a lot of us frown on it to say the least. You will look unprofessional the more you use it. Take warning.
so...I want to look professional to my wife and friends? Trust is to have the wisdom on when to use or not use them....
[doublepost=1512510411][/doublepost]
Kids won't read English in 10 years.
and they do now?

I've seen the worstest english recently. (yes, that was a joke)

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
Who needs prioritized Bluetooth, when you can get dozens of more unusable emoji's?
I mean, the idea of automatically setting a hierarchy of where Bluetooth goes to for phone calls (1- Phone; 2 - Airpods; 3 - Car Bluetooth) being different from where Bluetooth music is played. I doubt I'm the only one who wants a phone call routed to my Airpods while I'm driving, yet would listen to music in my Car audio system.
No, let's not do that .... more stupid emoji's. How bout some more cat emoji's? Maybe some killer clown emoji's? Certainly they are as useful as 99.5% of the crap emoji's that pollute the keyboard now.

Same with having separate Music EQ / volume settings for each source. It's so simple yet they can't be bothered to do it.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I don't mind emoji; I'm 38 and I use them myself. I think that they're useful to convey actual emotions that might get lost in just text.

But emojis are growing ungainly. There are way too many. Pages upon pages of tiny characters are already hard to find and getting harder with each new iteration. Apple needs to find a better way.

Animoji might have shown a way to do this. Top level characters — a monkey, a unicorn, poop, etc — can be a relatively small set of emoji with each one modifiable either by face recognition or swiping a character to show its different emotions or 3D pressing it to change its colour and accessories to design "job emojis". Objects can also be top level swipable items. Fruits, tech, vehicles, etc.

Most used versions of those characters would still be accessed by a Recents menu and predictive emojis would still suggest predesigned emojis that fit what you're typing.

The status quo can't continue for much longer with each version of iOS adding dozens of new emoji to a crowded field.
I like the interface on Apple Watch-- pick an image and turn the crown to get the variation you're after.

KingslayerG5

Suspended
Oct 16, 2017
Magical coming from a trillion dollar company. So the middle finger emoji can be upside-down, sideways, or pointed left and right?

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2017
Who gives a flying fudge about emojis?!? Can't believe effort is being put into ***** like this...

blmatthews

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2017
Cue rant about Emoji when the developers responsible for all the current bugs have nothing to do with the designing of them.
You're correct, the people that design emojis and those that, say, work on the Bluetooth stack, aren't interchangeable. But the money that pays them is. So I think it's perfectly valid for someone to wish Apple would spend less money on emojis and other such frippery and more on fixing bugs and usability and security problems.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
You're correct, the people that design emojis and those that, say, work on the Bluetooth stack, aren't interchangeable. But the money that pays them is. So I think it's perfectly valid for someone to wish Apple would spend less money on emojis and other such frippery and more on fixing bugs and usability and security problems.
So you want the emoji department to go from 1 person down to zero, so that software development can go from 30,000 to 30,001?

And then whenever an Android user sends you a new emoji, you’ll just get a ¿ instead. And a bunch of people on MacRumors will complain about how crappy Apple iOS has gotten :D

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005

I don't think it's an issue of Apple not spending money. Think about how massive the code for an operating system is. There are literally countless opportunities for something to go wrong. Apple has a world-class team in place to do software development. But, this sort of thing happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.