Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be planning to start offering a one month free trial of Apple Music instead of three months, according to a new banner on Apple's webite.

On Apple's page for accessories, there's a banner that offers up a one month free trial of Apple Music rather than a three month free trial.

applemusiconemonthbanner-800x359.jpg

This could potentially be a mistake or a new change that Apple is rolling out. Clicking on the banner still brings up a prompt for a three month free trial in iTunes, and there are no mentions of a one month trial instead of a three month trial on Apple's dedicated site for Apple Music.

Apple has been offering three month trials of Apple Music for new customers since Apple Music launched in 2015, but Apple has to pay royalties on all songs played during free trials even when customers aren't paying.

It's not yet clear if Apple is making a permanent change to its free trial length, but we'll update this post when we hear more information.

Article Link: Apple May Be Changing Apple Music Trial From Three Months to One Month

Reactions: macfacts

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Could be a marketing mistake (wrong banner variant uploaded). Could be that this was meant for a non-US store, where the services and promotions vary. Could be that this was meant for users that perhaps previously subscribed but stopped and Apple is using this to target to those particular users.

Reactions: iPhysicist

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Either way, Apple won’t lose too much money. Offering three month trial would lure customers into subscribing it because of the built up habit, while offering 1 month would... wait. Would Apple lose money because more people will cancel sub immediately after? Ahh, no big deal. I give customers way too much credit. It’s fine either way.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
It's could be because they are going to bundle it with other stuff or partnerships -- buy a Homepod or Beats headphones or Denon speakers and get '3 whole months' of Apple music free!...

If they kept the current 3 months as free, then they'll have offer '6 whole months' in the bundle
... so they take the easy/cheap way out and offer only 1 month free, and 3 months for bundling or partnerships.

I'm guess it's for 'back to school' season marketing campaigns.

lec0rsaire

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2017
I’ve never taken the trial and I noticed a month back that the trial said one month one day but quickly said three when I checked again.

I guess I got a early preview. It’s a dumb greedy move IMO. The longer a trial lasts the less likely customers are going to cancel that service. People get used to things very quickly. Especially things that are convenient.

Alessiot

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016

Apple may be planning to start offering a one month free trial of Apple Music instead of three months, according to a new banner on Apple's webite.

On Apple's page for accessories, there's a banner that offers up a one month free trial of Apple Music rather than a three month free trial.

applemusiconemonthbanner-800x359.jpg

This could potentially be a mistake or a new change that Apple is rolling out. Clicking on the banner still brings up a prompt for a three month free trial in iTunes, and there are no mentions of a one month trial instead of a three month trial on Apple's dedicated site for Apple Music.

Apple has been offering three month trials of Apple Music for new customers since Apple Music launched in 2015, but Apple has to pay royalties on all songs played during free trials even when customers aren't paying.

It's not yet clear if Apple is making a permanent change to its free trial length, but we'll update this post when we hear more information.

Article Link: Apple May Be Changing Apple Music Trial From Three Months to One Month
Love getting it with my Verizon plan free

Mutepointer

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2018
It's could be because they are going to bundle it with other stuff or partnerships -- buy a Homepod or Beats headphones or Denon speakers and get '3 whole months' of Apple music free!...

If they kept the current 3 months as free, then they'll have offer '6 whole months' in the bundle
... so they take the easy/cheap way out and offer only 1 month free, and 3 months for bundling or partnerships.

I'm guess it's for 'back to school' season marketing campaigns.
In September and December, they may make it 3 months.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I went for the 3 month trial back when it launched and never renewed.

For more than 6 months, I've been getting prompts in the Music app for 1 month trial to entice me back.

7809FF58-F2AE-47BF-A307-2343E9281B34.png

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
YouTube music is garbage.

I didn't think so. I'm grandfathered in to the $9.99 price for YouTube Premium, Google Play Music, and YouTube Music. Other than the lack of high-quality audio, gapless playback, and an in-app EQ, it's a perfectly OK service. The "Your Mixtape" and "Liked Songs" auto playlists are fantastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.