Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdarling

macrumors P6
BS!

Cellular Insights is a shell company created in 2016 by Qualcomm to FUD Intel broadband chips.

Proof? Not that it matters, since it was not them who claimed there's throttling going on.

While the article mentioned an earlier Cellular Insight speed difference report, the company that actually brought up throttling is Twin Prime.

LTE is GSM

LTE is 4G for both GSM and CDMA. In fact, as an early equipment buyer, Verizon was a major source for LTE specs.

It's similar to the way that UMTS-3G for GSM is WCDMA, which can also be (and is) used by both so-called "GSM" and "CDMA" networks.

Last edited:

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Dammit Apple, everyone loved it when you made one identical phone for all carriers. Android does this with many of their phones, why are you going in reverse?

So you are wrapping yourself around the axle base on some speculation on a website? Did you notice the key word on this click bait article? Apple "MAY" be throttling.
[doublepost=1479519404][/doublepost]
When the last 3 major articles posts are product issues, the last minor article post is also a product issue (not including the giveaway) and are about NEW or relatively new products - you know things are beginning to crack. :(:apple:

Yes, Chicken Little, the sky is falling. Apple is doomed! Tim Cook needs to be fired! Meanwhile, in the real world outside the troll heavy MR forum, Apple is selling the latest phone as fast as they can build them. The latest estimates are that almost a quarter of a billion people are going to buy it. Yes, let that sink in. Despite troll comments that the phone would be a total flop because it was "boring" and they replaced the legacy headphone jack, hundreds of millions of people the world over are going to buy it. And the latest laptops that suck so bad, are already selling at a record pace.

Oh, and that crack you are seeing emerge is the separation of Apple from all other phone builders since as you painfully read, Apple's success has just reached the point where they are now the only company making any profit and they have 100% of the entire industry profits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldfash33

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
BS!

Cellular Insights is a shell company created in 2016 by Qualcomm to FUD Intel broadband chips.

That is all they have been doing, and people are eating it!

Who is paying these "studies" after all? Who pays Cellular Insights? Where they get their money. Why did they only appear in 2016, when Apple is using Intel modems?

Also, Qualcomm is the #1 supplier for top of the range SOCs and modems for Android phones.

Care to revise your comments, now that Apple's own mouthpiece Recode has confirmed that the original report is true?

iPhoneONLY

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
Unless you are actually comparing the different dBm values, there is no proof to this.
For example, Android "bars" seem to exaggerate signal versus iOS devices, even though the dBm values might be similar.

I currently own an AT&T iPhone 6s Plus and an AT&T iPhone 7 Plus. At my home I usually get two or three bars on each device. I have run more than a dozen LTE speed tests with the devices side-by-side at the same time while connected to the same server. Every single time the iPhone 6s Plus has a better ping, faster download speed, and faster upload speed. Furthermore, the iPhone 7's download is much more erratic and is always the slowest for the first few seconds (most critical time since most downloads are small). Conversely the iPhone 6s Plus always starts out at its fastest, is more consistent, and still ends up faster than the iPhone 7 once the test is done.
Unfortunately, it makes sense for Apple to deliberately slow down the Qualcomm version of the iPhone 7 so people don't get pissed off that they got a substandard device with the Intel chip. My hope is that Intel will release a better driver in upcoming updates so that it will perform at least as good as the iPhone 6. If they don't in the next month or two, I will be seeking to exchange my AT&T (Intel) version for the Qualcomm version.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
It is so infuriating that Apple decided to use the Intel chip just to save a few dollars. Not only has it worse performance, it also limits international roaming.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
How so? Do the savings that Apple gets from using the older, slower, cheaper Intel chips get funneled down to us?
Do you have evidence that they don't? I seem to recall the iPhone 7 costing the same as the 6S it replaced, while having new features and double the base storage level.

Again, I am not sure how the extra competition in the cellular modem space is a bad thing.

weup togo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
How so? Do the savings that Apple gets from using the older, slower, cheaper Intel chips get funneled down to us?

The Intel baseband isn't older. It's brand new. This is the first time Apple has been able to second-source the baseband. They're doing it to diversify their supply chain and to try to drive down component costs.

It's also immature and unproven, relative to Qualcomm's kit. That's why it's slower and handles the real world worse.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
who is sprint ?????

SPRINT is my cellular carrier. I 'switched' from AT&T when the iPhone 7 came out.

AT&T cost me 225 a month and 15 bucks a gig over my 30 gig data a month data allocation.

SPRINT gave me three iPhone 7 phones In exchange for my three AT&T Phone 6 phones. No cost. Now I have UNLIMITED data and my total bill is 185 a month.

Reception is equal to my former AT&T performance.

What's not to like?

blackberrycubed

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2013
SPRINT is my cellular carrier. I 'switched' from AT&T when the iPhone 7 came out.

AT&T cost me 225 a month and 15 bucks a gig over my 30 gig data a month data allocation.

SPRINT gave me three iPhone 7 phones In exchange for my three AT&T Phone 6 phones. No cost. Now I have UNLIMITED data and my total bill is 185 a month.

Reception is equal to my former AT&T performance.

What's not to like?
i still dont get what this sprint is? is it some mom and pop carrier with family members standing around corners with antennas?

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I thought about this and users could just be blaming Apple for poor performance, when in fact its the mobile carriers the issue..

All all carriers may have LTE but that doesn't mean every iphone LTE will have the same factor i the same location, performance in all situations based on average and other factors outside mobile network's control including distance from cell tower (but if in same location then it would be network performnace, how many users are using cell at any given time) makes a big difference...... But its just eaiser to blame the iPhone 7 because, well its just easier than accept permanence of mobile networks does not laways mean the same speed..

It's like saying every cable or DSL line will operate at the same speed.. which isn't true either.

Example.. i can get top speed at 3am in the morning on 4G, but much lower in other suburbs at the same time fro the same carrier

I quick switch to any non-iphone 7 will tell u this

Last edited:

Murphintosh

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2013
So you just defend Apple no matter what? Apple is infallible and no one could possibly have a legitimate complaint?

Sincere question. How does "Another day. Another complaint." look like a statement of belief in Apple's infallibility? Yes, there are more complaints every day, most of them are justifiable. For me lately, I think of Apple and think; another day, another disappointment, and therefor another complaint. I hope that's less ambiguous.

I don't see a defense of Apple in those 4 words. I guess I'm going to look stupid if "another day, another complaint" is an allusion to something I should know or a quote from literature or a movie. What did I miss?

Be gentile. I'm someone for whom the expression glass half full/empty was never helpful. They literally mean the same thing and that's the point, but I've don't think I've ever heard anyone say "half empty."

Reactions: C DM

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

Because that means Qualcom doesn't have the Power to jack prices up by 1000%, resulting in the phone price increasing even more.

It also funds a new team which could result in a better end product once Intel starts getting traction.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Do you have evidence that they don't? I seem to recall the iPhone 7 costing the same as the 6S it replaced, while having new features and double the base storage level.

Again, I am not sure how the extra competition in the cellular modem space is a bad thing.
Is the Intel phone cheaper to buy than the Qualcomm phone? If Apple is indeed is passing down the savings, that means those who get the bad (Intel) phone subsidize those who get the good phone. That doesn't seem fair. If Apple is indeed passing down the savings, the Intel phone should be cheaper than the Qualcomm phone.

rasputin1969

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2010
I think it may be time for Apple and I to part. Breaking up is hard to do, but I'm beginning to feel like a punch drunk boxer whose been caught on the ropes one too many times.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I don't understand why this is an issue at all. If your iPhone is not having a faster connection than a Samsung, then exchange or get the Samsung. I don't get it.
In reality, will any phone on any network can even reach 400mbps? Let's be real. By the time that happens, we all probably will have iPhone 10S or Samsung S15 already. No point in complaining about some theoretical speed that you wouldn't even reach.

Instead, I would complain more about Apple still making different iPhones with variations of the LTE bands supported. In contrast to the iPad where Apple actually can make one single device with all the LTE bands supports.

coreypdx

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
Can someone explain why my iPhone 7 Plus on Verizon just got 11Mbps down on Ookla? This report doesn't make any sense. Maybe someone can explain it to me.

Jimmy Bubbles

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Nashville, TN
I can definitely confirm this anecdotally. AT&T only gets 1-2 bars of service at my home, but that translates into constant dropped calls, or even the inability to make calls. Verizon gets the same 1-2 bars, but I haven't had a single dropped call and have been able to make all my calls.

I'm surprised Verizon wouldn't be miffed if this article were true, they like to take every opportunity to tout their network and it seems having a faster and more reliable iPhone would be great for their PR.
Have you ever thought about using your Wi-fi Calling??

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I can definitely confirm this anecdotally. AT&T only gets 1-2 bars of service at my home, but that translates into constant dropped calls, or even the inability to make calls. Verizon gets the same 1-2 bars, but I haven't had a single dropped call and have been able to make all my calls.

I'm surprised Verizon wouldn't be miffed if this article were true, they like to take every opportunity to tout their network and it seems having a faster and more reliable iPhone would be great for their PR.
I've run into the same with AT&T at work. Consistent service, I can hear the caller, but callers say my audio is breaking up. Walk outside and it improves. With my 6S on AT&T in the same room/parts of the building, this never happened once. I've been told that this happens now on almost every call I've taken since getting the 7.

Frankly, the LTE speed performance is marginally worse, if at all. But this poor call performance is unacceptable -- especially for as expensive as these devices are.

Reactions: spinedoc77
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.