Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
iPhone 14 Pro with Leather Case in Saddle Brown.

F3zAfOrWUAE_N4Z
I’ve always had a leather case for my iPhones. Might just go without rather than adding more plastic to the world… 😉

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
You are of course correct and I didn't think about that. Still makes it far more accurate than the phrase "vegan leather."
When I was growing up, we just called it imitation leather or vinyl. The vegan name sounds like the trend where things now point themselves out as “plant-based” for reasons of marketing.

I think I saw oatmeal advertising itself as “plant based”. Oh. Really? Can I have the version that came from animals? There are other ones which obviously are from the vegetable kingdom and they say “plant based”. Oh please.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
When I was growing up, we just called it imitation leather or vinyl. The vegan name sounds like the trend where things now point themselves out as “plant-based” for reasons of marketing.

I think I saw oatmeal advertising itself as “plant based”. Oh. Really? Can I have the version that came from animals? There are other ones which obviously are from the vegetable kingdom and they say “plant based”. Oh please.
Like plastics & vegan leather it all comes from dead critters, so there’s nothing vegan about either… 😉

Bremse

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2020
Not a big loss. The Apple leather cases have sucked starting with the iPhone 12. They used to wear really nicely with iPhone 11 and prior models, but the newer ones fade and peel in no time.

Reactions: TroyJam and punkypj

msackey

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2020
Like plastics & vegan leather it all comes from dead critters, so there’s nothing vegan about either… 😉
I don’t know I’d take that analogy that far, because if you trace it way back, de-composition happens and mingles between plant, animal, and fungi kingdoms. I think typically the moniker of “vegan leather“ is trying to denote that no animals were specifically killed for creating that product. The fossil fuel argument isn’t a strong one as a strike against calling it “vegan leather” because fossil fuel comes from decomposition (and I’m repeating myself) animal, plant, and fungi kingdoms. Just as plants make use of decomposed animal matter (organic matter), so too do animals. It’s the reality and nature of interdependence.

punkypj

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
Not to my leather cases. I've only used Apple. Yes, they will patina which is normal, but I have not seen them peel and fray like the Apple silicone cases.

There was a video done by I believe a Swedish leather worker who showed by Apple leather cases from the past patina nicer than more recent ones. I'll see if I can dig it up. As I recall, it does not have to do with the quality of the leather but rather the kind of dye or something similar that was applied to the leather.

Edit: I found the video I was thinking of:

Basic argument has to do with the finishing or the coating. A very heavy coating means that it'll take the leather a long time to patina, but also patina unevenly in different spots. The leather worker in the video, Kim Bertilsson, says a lighter finishing makes for a better and more even patina.
Lucky you…

This is mine and has happened to all my Apple leather cases. I wear mostly jeans so I figure this is a rough material so doesn't bother my massively but it’s not like these leather Apple cases are much harder wearing than the silicone ones.

Attachments

• IMG_9801.jpeg
    IMG_9801.jpeg
    352 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_9803.jpeg
    IMG_9803.jpeg
    580 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_9802.jpeg
    IMG_9802.jpeg
    376.5 KB · Views: 45

pinkkie

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2022
I guess you go barefoot and use a hemp rope for a belt.
If you don't a hypocrite you are.
Nomad will send you a nice leather case for a better price.
looks like someone doesn't understand sarcasm

Flight Plan

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2014
Southeastern US
Dang! Looks like they will be ending up with how Apple eliminated Macbook leather sleeves. In addition, the leather case color fades away very easily within normal usage. Apple needs to use better leather.

> Rather than overtly discontinuing premium case options, it seems likely that Apple could replace leather with an alternative high-end material that is vegan and has a smaller carbon footprint.

If they come up with a nice alternative that's vegan and just as good or better, that would be great for both the environment and animal welfare.

Agreed. But I feel like the leather they are using is waste from food products rather than animals being killed for iPhone.

Get rid of them all for all I care. #NoCaseHere

I used to get the silicone case but moved away from that. Due to friction over time, silicone cases in my experience begin to peel or have frayed edges. It gets kinda ugly.
My Apple Silicone case is the 2nd one for my 12 Pro Max. Same reason.
Vegan Leather? So, plastic. “Unapologetically Plastic” that is.
Could be made with a hemp weave of some sort.
I used to love the saddle brown leather cases until they changed how the cases are colored (iPhone 12?) and it started looking like absolute garbage with time instead of developing a patina. It’s like the color just rubbed off instead of staining.
No leather is indestructible. All leather eventually needs cleaning and a re-dressing with a good polish.
Will they call it the Impossible Case like they call Vegan burgers the Impossible Burger LOL
That’s funny. But Impossible Meat is in big financial trouble. It seems nobody buys it a second time.
Soy plastic? keep your rats away.

neighbor has rats eat through the wire insulation on his tesla because they use soy plastic insulation. Rats love it
Insulation may just be the safest use of soy. For male humans, anyhow. When us guys have too much soy in our diet, we tend to get all estrogeny and grow bustage. Oh sure, having a sip of soy milk now and again won’t hurt anybody…unless you have an allergy. But too much over time, and yeah…it can cause body changes in men, and not in a good way.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
They did, and it tanked:
iPhone 12 Pro Max Leather Sleeve with MagSafe - Saddle Brown

View attachment 2248038

This reminds me of the pouch that came with my HTC Desire back in the day. It felt so... sophisticated to pull it out of my pocket with the pouch and then pull the phone out of the pouch to check the time/messages/whatever.

It would probably drive me nuts these days to have that extra step (pulling the phone out of the pouch) in there.

iu

jonblatho

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2014
Oklahoma
No leather is indestructible. All leather eventually needs cleaning and a re-dressing with a good polish.
That has nothing to do with what I said. Apple changed how their leather cases are manufactured with the iPhone 12 series and they no longer age nearly as well as they used to.

As I mentioned, it appears they switched to just painting over the leather, which of course doesn’t age well as the paint just rubs off, especially around the edges if the device is pocketed regularly. It’s not a nice, gradual patina like one would expect; it’s a harsh blackening. Numerous reports and photos of this online aside from my personal experience. As someone who had bought Apple leather cases for years, it absolutely comes down to a manufacturing change.

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Not a big loss. The Apple leather cases have sucked starting with the iPhone 12. They used to wear really nicely with iPhone 11 and prior models, but the newer ones fade and peel in no time.
That’s disappointing. I guess I’m lucky, my black leather iPhone Pro Max case (bought both as soon as released) look like new… 👍🏻

Danny_N

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2020
Have the blue leather on a 12 pro. Great protection and has lasted 3years no issues. Plastic lasts 6 months. Someone will sell one for my 15 and probably charge less than Apple. I guess PC doesn’t only mean computer for Apple.

Reactions: Wags

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
Have the blue leather on a 12 pro. Great protection and has lasted 3years no issues. Plastic lasts 6 months. Someone will sell one for my 15 and probably charge less than Apple. I guess PC doesn’t only mean computer for Apple.
So far it’s just a rumor. Apple sells itself as a luxury brand, I’d be surprised if they stop making leather cases. If, and that’s a big if, they stop, others will make them. 🤷

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
Well that's inaccurate its leathers are from Europe

Well, the end-product (Italian companies have a lot of knowledge about processing leather - centuries of it sometimes) - but where the the leather actually come from?

I checked the supplier list:

But there's no obvious leather-related entry in Italy.

I don't have time to check the other 20-something pages of suppliers - but I suspect the suppliers for materials for cases aren't even in that list.

The supplier responsibility report, at first and quick glance, didn't really elaborate on "natural" products much, if any.
Mostly about conflict minerals, mining, labor etc.pp.

Wags

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2006
Nebraska, USA
The ip12 apple leather case was the last one they made that had quality and would patina so no surprise.

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
The main reason I'm using the Apple leather case on my 13 pro is the slim profile, it's just perfect
I have their silicone cases but they are a bit thicker and heavier than the leather cases

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Mixed with plastics, polyurethane for example. Which is a common commodity plastic, from oil which is from decayed animals… 🦖🦖🦖
You’re cherry picking stats. Start with the premise that you won’t tolerate animals being farmed & killed so that you can have a nice case for your iPhone. Then choose from the alternatives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.