Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juuro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
Germany
Mixed with plastics, polyurethane for example. Which is a common commodity plastic, from oil which is from decayed animals… 🦖🦖🦖
Actually, there is at least one leather alternative that is 100% plastic free: Mirum It's even made in the US. 🙂

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016
You’re cherry picking stats. Start with the premise that you won’t tolerate animals being farmed & killed so that you can have a nice case for your iPhone. Then choose from the alternatives.
They make cases out of wood. Wool socks for your iPhone. As for “stats“ I was simply stating a fact.
Actually, there is at least one leather alternative that is 100% plastic free: Mirum It's even made in the US. 🙂
1 company using natural rubber isn’t exactly impressive, and not with its environmental impacts…

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
Vegan leather doesn't patina, right?

Considering the Apple leather cases have had terrible "patinas" since the 12 lineup, that might be a good thing
(especially if one buys the case for its original color)

• Disagree
Reactions: GGJstudios

SFjohn

macrumors 68020
Sep 8, 2016

Considering the Apple leather cases have had terrible "patinas" since the 12 lineup, that might be a good thing
Not my experience. My black leather iPhone 13 Pro Max case looks, feels like new… 👍🏻

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Like @SFjohn, all of the leather iPhone cases I've had have aged extremely well. No uneven or unattractive wear patterns, just a natural patina over time. Perhaps you've had a different experience, but it's not accurate to claim "terrible patinas" across the board.

Ameer_1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2023
Boca Raton, Florida
Why would they remove it when they're making money from it?
Do people really think Apple cares about vegans when a case brings in millions of dollars each year?

Last edited:

salutcemoi

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2021
Like @SFjohn, all of the leather iPhone cases I've had have aged extremely well. No uneven or unattractive wear patterns, just a natural patina over time. Perhaps you've had a different experience, but it's not accurate to claim "terrible patinas" across the board.
No, not my experience at all, as I have a black one
Just based on pictures I saw online for other colors

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Somebody kill a cow and give me a leather case for my iPhone 15 Pro Max! :p

After years of leather cases, I ended up with the silicon case. It's OK, but it does't slide in and out of my pocket easily, as the leather did. If I stand it up leaning on something, like trying to take a picture at a distance or watch something hands-free, it tends to slowly slide down, while the leather stayed put. Overall, it protects the phone, but it doesn't match the feel of leather in my hand. I know everyone has different opinions, but after a month without the leather case, I've determined this is definitely a step down, for reasons I disagree with.

/rant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.