Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ggab

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
Lol, I love how you can "feel" this.

Usually leather is from veal; since they won't have any scars from wounds that may devalue the leather with markings. The price of the leather is, pound-for-pound, the most expensive part of the cow (about 10% of its value). In many markets, veal meat is the by-product; the skin is the real money-item. Scarring and wounds is also why most milk/meat animals aren't used for leather production. However, you could consider it a by-product of the milk-industry. To have the cow keep giving milk, she needs to have a calve every now and then. Breeding the cow = a calf to slaughter for its skin + milk to sell from the mother. In that way, yes: the animals are literally bred for their skin (and milk).

Attachments

• IMG_3494.jpeg
    IMG_3494.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Haha
Reactions: 5105973

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
> Rather than overtly discontinuing premium case options, it seems likely that Apple could replace leather with an alternative high-end material that is vegan and has a smaller carbon footprint.
But most of these so-called 'vegan' textiles are essentially made of plastics. And I don't mean bio-plastics, but petroleum-sourced materials.
I have seen newer interesting (and beautiful) alternative textiles made from mushrooms (really) and cork, so I know it's possible, there just doesn't seem to be much desire in the manufacturing industry to really stop using petrochem plastics.

At least leather degrades and decomposes...as opposed to all synthetics that merely become smaller and smaller particulates, while never actually decomposing. I'm all for replacement materials if they actually don't further contribute to our plastics problem. Which (by the way) the petroleum industry spent the past 30 years convincing people recycling would work to eliminate the problem, while they knew it would not actually solve the plastic-waste problem.

Silverstring

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
Please explain how this is better for the environment because I am honestly curious. The leather they are using is a byproduct of the meat industry aka, the cow was already killed for meat. If the leather isn't used from the cow, it goes into the trash.
I wouldn't say it's "better", but I wouldn't say it's "worse", either—not enough information, because the issue is more complex than a 1:1 comparison.

In terms of environmental impact alone, do we know for certain that simply throwing away the leather at this scale wouldn't have a lower net cost to the environment than processing the leather, packaging the leather, putting that leather on planes and boats and trucks and delivery vans, and giving the consumer a bag or an outer box with packing material to put their just-purchased leather case in?

I would say that we don't know that.

So the idea that "they're (not) killing cows for this!" is way too simple and reductive to take all the variables into play that would determine overall impact on the environment.

robbietop

Suspended
Jun 7, 2017
Good Ol' US of A

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
I have no problem with a high quality sustainable product as long as the form factor remains the same.

Gherkin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 9, 2004
Me too, but I'm not going to this time. It always starts to peel after a year or so.

I just bought a silicon case for my 12 Pro off of eBay. After maybe 3 weeks it started to peel. It’s totally coming apart now (about 2 months after purchase). I’m wondering if it’s actually a counterfeit with how bad this one fell apart so fast.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I've been using third party faux leather for a while now. They last better then the two Apple cases I've had.

The silicone one was the worst, started peeling in less than 6 months.

Additionally it go stuck to my pockets every time I tried to take it out or put it in. I actually hated that case and was glad it started to break down. 🤣
My problem with the silicone cases is that they gather lint and dust extremely easily. And they're hard to get out of pockets. I do like the 'feel' of the material, but the lint/dust factor outweighs that.

Hank001

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2023
I always buy their leather case. I'm dumbfounded if they don't sell them this year. It'll upset stockholders I would assume.

Heck, I think I won't even buy a new iPhone if I can't get an original Apple leather case!

Attachments

• IMG_3950.jpeg
    IMG_3950.jpeg
    427 KB · Views: 43

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
I've had positive experiences with Apple leather cases, negative ones with silicone (cracking, chipping, etc.) over the years.

Mostly though, I've been amazed that throughout its environmental and ethical discussions, Apple hasn't brought up animal rights issues. I'd love to see them talk at length about how vegan leather reduces carbon emissions and doesn't require animals to die, and transition all phone cases, watch bands (even Hermes), MagSafe wallet, etc. to vegan leather. Prices can stay the same and profit margins would probably rise. This could set up a premium vegan leather interior for Apple Car too.
I find it hard to believe that petroleum-based plastics are more environmentally 'friendly' than a natural biodegradable material.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I really hope they come out with their own OtterBox type case, like the symmetry but made by apple with perfect fitment. Polycarbonate and tpu materials.

ak99

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2020
I had one of the silicone cases at first, and although the grip on it was great, it would turn my pockets inside out every time I pulled it out and gathered lint like crazy. I replaced it with a leather case and I don't think I would ever want to go back to anything else. The leather cases are absolutely perfect. It would be a huge bummer if they discontinued them.

Reactions: westcoastcyc

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
Personally use silicone cases myself, just because it bothers me how quickly the leather ones fade and break apart in a matter of months, if not weeks.
What do people do with their leather cases? Mine last at least 2 years. Though this current one is just nearing a year old and is nicked at some of the edges. I do like the way the color ages with use. I also have found third party leather cases to be better quality than Apple's.

Reactions: P-DogNC

Joosst

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
About time. It's a ridiculous backwards idea to kill animals for phone cases. Or anything else, for that matter. There are high quality vegan alternatives available, that use much less resources and are much more environmentally friendly. This is in line with Apple's sustainable goals, and I'm actually surprised this change didn't already happen years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.