MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a research note shared by Business Insider, Wedbush Securities analysts said that Apple may release a cheaper iPhone 12 in early 2021 with no 5G connectivity.

iPhone-12-4G-Feature-blue.jpg

Wedbush initially believed Apple would launch a mix of 4G and 5G iPhone 12 models this fall. Following re-examination of Asian supply chains, analysts Daniel Ives, Strecker Backe, and Ahmad Khalil revised the predictions, concluding that they now expect multiple 5G iPhone 12 models this fall, and one cheaper 4G-only model in early 2021.

Ives told Business Insider that this 4G-only variant could launch around February, and would be cheaper than 5G iPhone 12 models, with a price around $800. He added that the 5G iPhone 12 models are unlikely to be more expensive than the current prices of iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro, despite the additional connectivity features.

"Price points will be aggressive as Apple goes after their broader customer base," Ives commented. "Especially in a recession, in a COVID-19 backdrop, they need to make sure they're hitting all price categories."

A total of four OLED iPhones in 5.4, 6.1, and 6.7-inch sizes are expected in fall 2020. Rumors suggest the 6.7-inch ‌iPhone‌ and one 6.1-inch model will be higher-end devices with triple-lens cameras, while the 5.4 and 6.1-inch models will be lower-end iPhones with dual-lens cameras and a more affordable price.

It has been reported that the different sizes may see a staggered launch. During Apple's third fiscal quarter earnings call, Apple CFO Luca Maestri confirmed that Apple is expecting to release this year's iPhones later than usual.

Article Link: Apple May Release 4G-Only iPhone 12 in Early 2021

Last edited:

retta283

Cancelled
Jun 8, 2018
Victoria, British Columbia
Perhaps XR will remain on sale until this thing comes along to replace it. Seems like the most likely outcome of this launch, but I could be wrong. Certainly would be a nice option to have, but I wonder if they'd cripple it a bit to offset the possible gains of having less taxing modems. But, XR did have better battery life than the XS line so it's possible they won't.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I’m sure some people make a big deal of this, but realistically speaking 5G just isn’t widespread at this point and I don’t really see that changing during the iPhone 12’s cycle due to COVID.

I do look forward to it though. I did not jump on the 4G LTE bandwagon until several years after it came to the iPhone and by that point the network was so congested that I can barely watch YouTube videos when I leave the house. LTE feels very slow.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
So the 4g only variant is going to launch with a price of around 800, cheaper than the 5g iPhone 12, but yet the 5g one is going to be the same price or less as the 11? That doesn’t make any sense, or am I reading it wrong?
The iphone 12 5g will be around 650$ the 12 plus around 750 and the 2 pro models 999$ and 1099
So next year 4g only will be 550$..

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

Jony Ive and Co.

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
So this is the new SE2 Plus ....
iPhones are really getting too fragmented now and Apple should move on to new tech (5G) faster, not linger around like how LCD iPhones are still be produced 3 years after the first OLED iphone arrived

iBluetooth

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2016
So this is the new SE2 Plus ....
iPhones are really getting too fragmented now and Apple should move on to new tech (5G) faster, not linger around like how LCD iPhones are still be produced 3 years after the first OLED iphone arrived
It's not good to move to fast on to new tech as some other 5G phones show, if the infrastructure is not ready. Apple want's the customer experience to be positive, instead of ticking all the feature boxes.

AngerDanger

macrumors 603
Dec 9, 2008
So the 4g only variant is going to launch with a price of around 800, cheaper than the 5g iPhone 12, but yet the 5g one is going to be the same price or less as the 11? That doesn’t make any sense, or am I reading it wrong?
My guess is that the 6.1" iPhone 12 Pro will be $999, and this cheaper phone will be a 4G version but $800.

• Haha
Reactions: JM

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
I wonder if the 12 size will become the SE?

Launch a new SE in 2021 with iPhone 12 body, "new" color options (to visually differentiate), 4g modem, keep it the same A13 processor as the current SE (Because the A14 will be tied into the 5G modem.) The old processor fab will let them keep it around the $400 range.

Zorori

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
I do look forward to it though. I did not jump on the 4G LTE bandwagon until several years after it came to the iPhone and by that point the network was so congested that I can barely watch YouTube videos when I leave the house. LTE feels very slow.

That's a problem with your network provider, not LTE. Do you happen to be on an MVNO? The smaller providers rent a limited portion of bandwidth from the main carriers, once they get popular in your area the speeds will tank. That shouldn't happen on the main carriers unless they just suck were you live.

In Tokyo I was struggling to load google maps on Line Mobile (Softbank MVNO) as the speed fell to less than 0.5Mbps. Switched to Softbank and now get 30Mbps in the same scenario and an absurd 50 gig monthly limit (which doesn't count bandwidth used on various sites, like Youtube...)

Reactions: compwiz1202

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
the iPhone 12 isn't sounding very appealing this year. Apparently there will be no 120Hz screen, smaller battery, no USB-C, no headphones, and no power brick. The costs are just too high to justify these impulse incremental updates anymore. Well I mean I COULD buy one, but its the equivalent of throwing over 1K away when I have a perfectly good iPhone 11 Pro.

JM

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2014
My guess is that the 6.1" iPhone 12 Pro will be $999, and this cheaper phone will be a 4G version but $800.
Ahahaha, yeah right Apple releases a Pro at $800..... Not salty at your comment, just Apple.

JM

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2014
the iPhone 12 isn't sounding very appealing this year. Apparently there will be no 120Hz screen, smaller battery, no USB-C, no headphones, and no power brick. The costs are just too high to justify these impulse incremental updates anymore. Well I mean I COULD buy one, but its the equivalent of throwing over 1K away when I have a perfectly good iPhone 11 Pro.
You gotta get that flat edge love, then you'll be excited. Other than that, yeah.

vseera

macrumors regular
May 27, 2011
The iPhone 12 pro max was going to be a day one purchase for me. I have money allocated for it since the last 6 months.
Now I’m not as sure, as like you said, it won’t be coming with USB-C. The other things are nice but you can still do without.
To be honest, just the addition of that would be worth it for me - I already have an MBP and an iPad Pro and I travel a lot (or used to).

dkh587

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2009
I have an iPhone X that I’ve had for 3 years and it’s just as fast as it’s always been. Your 11 Pro should last you several years, at least long enough until there is a significant update worth upgrading to.

I don’t believe in upgrading every year anymore. The phones last longer than they used to.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.