Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That’s not true. A holder of a patent is under no obligation whatsoever to license their technology.
That’s not what I said. *Apple* has the ability to pay *Masimo* whatever it takes to obtain a license from Masimo. Masimo could refuse, but I don’t think there’s any chance that if Apple came up with a proposal that Masimo liked, Masimo wouldn’t license the (disputed) SpO2 tech to Apple, given the huge Apple Watch sales numbers.

Reactions: Chuckeee

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
That’s not what I said. *Apple* has the ability to pay *Masimo* whatever it takes to obtain a license from Masimo. Masimo could refuse, but I don’t think there’s any chance that if Apple came up with a proposal that Masimo liked, Masimo wouldn’t license the (disputed) SpO2 tech to Apple, given the huge Apple Watch sales numbers.
Rumor is that Masimo wants more than just a licensing fee, they want to be involved in product development of the Apple Watch, and that may be a non-starter for Apple.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Does anyone have any thoughts about what happens when one HAD a legitimate UW2, bought before all these issues, but now might need WARRANTY work or replacement? Are they able to provide a watch that truly REPLACES the watch under warranty but that today isn’t available in the market from apple?

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England
Does anyone have any thoughts about what happens when one HAD a legitimate UW2, bought before all these issues, but now might need WARRANTY work or replacement? Are they able to provide a watch that truly REPLACES the watch under warranty but that today isn’t available in the market from apple?
Based on the information we got at the apple store that if the S9 goes in and needs to be replaced it will not have the O2 functionality. That's from a manager. I wrote to Tim Cook and cooperate answered with email and phone call and they say they will not disable the 02 sensor. Apples price on the watch's have not changed. So the 02 hardware if there is any is still there. There have been people that bought them from Best Buy and done the upgrades and not had any problems. I would suggest you call in to AppleCare and see what they say.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.