Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple may be continuing its plans to bring back the 12-inch MacBook, a sketchy rumor shared on the Korean blog Naver claims.

2016-12-inch-macbook-feature.jpg

The post comes from the account "yeux1122," which has a mixed track record aggregating accurate Apple rumors. According to an alleged source at a company that supplies parts to Apple in Taiwan, Apple is preparing to reintroduce the 12-inch MacBook. The company purportedly seems to be weighing up the future of the device and has yet to confirm if it will reach launch. Nevertheless, production activities related to the device are said to be ongoing. Apple apparently plans to confirm whether the device will move forward to mass production as soon as the second half of this year.

In 2022, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo said that he hadn't heard of any plans for a new 12-inch MacBook model. Display analyst Ross Young similarly expressed "skepticism" about Apple launching new MacBooks with display sizes below 13-inches.

Introduced in March 2015, the original 12-inch MacBook featured a thin and light design that weighed just two pounds, and was Apple's first notebook to feature a fanless design, USB-C port, and butterfly switch keyboard. Apple updated the 12-inch MacBook in June 2017 and discontinued the device in 2019. Upon the announcement of Apple's transition to its own custom silicon chips for the Mac, there was renewed interest in the potential of a new 12-inch MacBook.

Bloomberg's Mark Gurman was first to spark serious rumors about Apple reintroducing a 12-inch MacBook model with Apple silicon last year, saying that the device could come at the end of 2023 or in early 2024. Last month, he said that the new 12-inch MacBook was no longer on the company's near-term roadmap, but stopped short of ruling the device out completely, meaning that it being pushed into 2024 or later may still be possible, which could align with the latest claims from Naver.

Article Link: Apple May Still Be Planning to Reintroduce 12-Inch MacBook

Last edited:

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
I still think there's room for a computer just called MacBook. Bring high refresh rate to the Air and add another couple USB ports and slot in the MacBook where the Air is now, preferably even cheaper.

I know I know Apple's lineup is confusing enough already but I think in the area of laptops there is room for more option.

ThailandToo

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2022
I used to love this little guy. The MacBook that just didn’t cut it but was so lightweight.

I have an M2 13” MBA for travel and 16” M1 Max MBP with Pro Display now for home and office. Based on these devices being so great, the 12” MacBook really just doesn’t excite me like it used to. Screen size is important. It doesn’t save much for what I gain with the MBA in screen size or portability.

Also the iPad Pro really does everything this little MacBook would do for me…

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
Don't bring it back. It's been replaced by iPad Air, iPad Pro, and Macbook Air. It sold so poorly that it only lasted 2 years on the market. It's an even worse value proposition today because other devices in Apple's lineup has gotten better and could easily replace its niche.

Make a Macbook SE using the M1 Air instead. Sell this Macbook SE for $799 or $850. We don't need a 12" Macbook selling for $1300 in 2024.

Last edited:

alexe

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2014
Why would anybody need that?

You really need that ONE inch less than the 13-inch MacBook Air?

That ONE inch makes the difference between too big and just right for some people?

I‘ll never understand that, I almost find steps of two inches between models too little a difference. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Celebion

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2015
I don't get what people find confusing about Apple's Notebook lineup.

I remember the iBook times when Apple had "consumer" iBooks in 12" and 14" and "professional" PowerBooks in 12", 15" and 17".

Now we have the "consumer" MacBook Air 13" and maybe soon a MacBook Air 15" and the "professional" MacBook Pro 14" and 16".

dmcgoy

macrumors member
May 20, 2011
This seems like a no-brainer (to a still-owner of a 2017 MacBook). Apple in 2023 does not make an ultraportable* computer. Which is crazy.

Take the new MacBook Air, trim off the edges (the full-size MacBook keyboard went edge-to-edge left-to-right), shrink the battery, and you are done. Right? If Apple wants to insist this is for "pros", then make the default ram / SSD / M2 chip higher specs and charge more. They will sell. Plenty of business people travel a ton and want the lightest usable computer.

MacBook Air 2023: 2.8 pounds
MacBook 12'': 2 pounds

senttoschool

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2017
This seems like a no-brainer (to a still-owner of a 2017 MacBook). Apple in 2023 does not make an ultraportable* computer. Which is crazy.

Take the new MacBook Air, trim off the edges (the full-size MacBook keyboard went edge-to-edge left-to-right), shrink the battery, and you are done. Right? If Apple wants to insist this is for "pros", then make the default ram / SSD / M2 chip higher specs and charge more. They will sell. Plenty of business people travel a ton and want the lightest usable computer.

MacBook Air 2023: 2.8 pounds
MacBook 12'': 2 pounds
No one is going to buy it for $1300 in 2024. It sold so poorly in 2015 that Apple discontinued after 2 years. 2 years!!

A $599 iPad Air M1 can easily replace it as a media device that can occasionally edit an Excel and write an email. In fact, an iPad can do a lot more than a 12" Macbook can.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Apple will likely continue to expand their mobile solutions as they reduce their desktop solutions. The more different types of mobiles they offer, the more likely they’re apt to sell more hardware.

Reactions: jdb8167 and SFjohn

minik

macrumors demi-god
Jun 25, 2007
somewhere
Let’s do it, Apple! I’ve always been a fan of small notebook even using the 11” MacBook Air till last year. When they discontinued the 12” MacBook, I ran out and bought one at Costco.

12.2” MacBook + Apple Studio Display may be the best of both world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.