Apple MBP Retina 13" 128GB OR 256GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macfreak101, Sep 3, 2014.

1. macfreak101 macrumors regular

Hi Guys! So I'm in a look out for the MBP Retina 13inch 2014 and am really confused between the 128gb base and 256gb mid model. As the only difference being the storage is it worth the extra 200$. Can I buy the 128gb and then upgrade the storage also I will be using this laptop for a good 4-5years. Apple is rumoured to launch a touch screen MBP so is it worth waiting for it? I have been on a look out for a laptop since the past 2 years and am now tired for waiting!But this time is the upgrade going to be worth it? If not the MBP Retina which other laptop would you suggest? I will be using it for photo and video editing and might even dual boot it with windows 8.
    All your suggestions would be really appreciated
    Thank You :)

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Nope, at the moment there are no third party options for the storage. I'd recommend biting the bullet now and getting the 256GB of storage.

3. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

I have been researching and have come across this aftermarket ssd upgrade http://www.transcend-info.com/apple/jetdrive/. So is it worth it? Should I buy a 128gb and when the need arises upgrade to a 256Gb? Or can I increase my storage capacity through a SDXC card?

Thank You for your input:)

4. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The JetDrive does not work in the late-2013/mid-2014 rMBPs.

The JetDrive (and the other one made by OWC) only works in mid-2012, late-2012 and early-2013 (Ivy Bridge) rMBPs.

There are no aftermarket options available for the current crop of rMBPs.

5. rpearlberg macrumors 6502a

I got the 256GB, but also just ordered the new Transcent JetDrive that supposedly fits the late 2013 and new 2014 models.

6. anarti macrumors regular

According to the Transcent website, Jet drive should work with 2014 retinas. It is just a memory card so why shouldn't it work?

As for their SSD replacements, they still haven't got the version for 2014 retinas.

I bought 128GB 13inch retina, but this is not my main machine. It is for travelling so I don't need much storage. Within the next 6 months there will be transcent ssd model for 2014 retinas so I'm not too worried about that.

After installing all my stuff on 13inch retina, I'm letft with 75GB free space. This isn't much:)

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

According to the Transcend site the Jetdrives are still only SATA interfaces on the early Retina MacBooks. The late 2013 and 2014 Retina MacBooks use a faster PCIe interface which Transcend does non list as supported.

http://www.transcend-info.com/apple/jetdrive/

8. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

Bite the bullet, spend the extra money and get the larger hard drive. A year from now you won't feel that $200 you spent, but you WILL feel it for the next 3-5 years (or however long you plan on keeping the machine) when you try filling it up with media and get warnings and alerts because your hard drive is full (I've been dealing with this for a couple years now, having a 128GB MBA). Also, larger hard drive = better resale value.

Maybe look at getting a refurb machine rather than a new machine, to offset the cost of the larger hard drive?

9. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

He might be talking about the JetDrive Lite 330 which is the SD card that fits "flush" in the slot and will add some storage to the laptop. If not, then I agree with you that Transcend does not make any SSD upgrades for the Haswell rMBP computers.

10. MCAsan, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

A SD card makes for slow memory. Better than nothing....but just.

Personally I would much rather have a SSD in a USB 3 enclosure that does UASP. The read/write speeds should be 400+. Via a SD card reader......not going to see those kinds of speeds.

11. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

I totally agree. If you want to save some money, do it by buying from the refurb section.

12. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I think I'll bite the bullet now rather than suffering later, will probably go for the 256 gb one! I'll probably leave out the Apple care plan instead, it's not that important afterall right?
    My other concern is whether I shall wait as apple is rumored to come out with touchscreen MBP Retina Laptops and considering touchscreen is the next thing and I will use this laptop for a good 4-5 years, is it worth waiting?Guys what do you think?

13. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

What rumors of a touch screen Mac? Don't get your hopes up, I doubt there will ever be a touch screen Mac.

14. sdilley14 macrumors 65816

I can't imagine any type of touch screen laptop coming out for another few years, if ever. I haven't really heard any "serious" type of rumors regarding such a machine. I think if you're going to wait until something like that comes out, you're going to be waiting a LONG time.

15. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

There are massive rumors of a touchscreen MBP in production.
    Apple had already filled the patents for it last year.
    I'm really confused if a touchscreen MBP would be worth it and if it would be provided at the same current price + the wait...AHHH!:eek::(

http://www.loadthegame.com/2014/08/29/new-slim-apple-macbook-pro-production/

http://www.christiantoday.com/artic...hscreen.feature.longer.battery.life/39270.htm

http://www.pingzine.com/macbook-pro...uch-screen-and-keystackers-to-be-added-34840/

16. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

I'm not surprised about a thinner model. Broadwell is a die shrink to 14nm, which means the processor itself will not only be physically smaller, it will also require less energy and produce less heat. This means Apple can shrink the internal components and make the laptop thinner.

This is a very likely scenario, in fact, it's quite possible Apple has already finalised the designes but are simply waiting for Broadwell to become available, which will not be until at least February or March, or possibly even Summer 2015.

I'm very skeptical about these claims, to be honest. It's highly unlikely Apple will release a 17" MBP again, let alone a touch screen version. OS X is not optimised for use with touch screens, it is optimised for use with a mouse and keyboard. Apple will not make the same mistake Microsoft made with Windows 8 and produce an all-in-one operating system.

In theory, it is possible that iOS will one day grow to be the successor to OS X when tablets have enough processing power to compete with laptops, but it will take some time to get there (and it might not even be Apple's intention at all).

Furthermore, Apple pretty much patents everything, but that doesn't mean they will actually use them. Since Microsoft 'stole' their operating system a long time ago because they didn't properly patent it, they are simply not taking any chances today.

I wouldn't worry about a touch screen Mac coming any time soon. If you need a Mac now, just buy one now. They are fantastic computers and they will still be fantastic 5-6 years from now. Heck, I'm typing this on a 2010 MBP which still rocks almost 5 years after I bought it.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Just to wrap up my point, yes Transcend came out with SSDs for the MBA and rMBP, but those SSDs were for the older models, not the 2013. To date they have not released any for the newer models. Will they, perhaps but as of now they haven't. Why take a chance on purposely shorting yourself with storage?

18. anarti macrumors regular

I think that more important is to give more RAM to macbook than to have bigger SSD. There will be solution from OWC and Transcend till the end of this year for 2014 retinas. Just a matter of patience. There are SSD from Tanscend and OWC for 2013 models as well.

In an age where we can store everything externally, quite cheaply, what's the point of having really big SSD in macbooks?

We are not limited any more and SSD can be replaced, so we can hold decision of getting bigger SSD til lthe later date:) Simple.

19. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Do you think it is worth waiting for the broadwell processors as you said they will be thinner and consumer less energy so more battery life and they might be fanless too? Is Broadwell the next BIG thing? Or just a bump from Haswell?
    I have a feeling that apple will come out with touchscreen Macs considering windows already has!

That's completely true! But installing a ssd aftermarket can void your warranty and if anything goes wrong? BOOM!:eek: The difference is the speed ssd is much faster compared to anything else.

20. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

Broadwell will also see a significant GPU upgrade so if you're into gaming or other GPU intensive stuff, it'll be worth the wait. CPU performance will probably by similar to Haswell since the architecture will be the same.

Personally I'm waiting for Broadwell because I'm curious how Apple will handle 14nm, my 2010 still works fine so I can wait. If you need a Mac now, just go with the Haswell. They are amazing machines and they will last you a long time I'm sure.

21. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

What is a GPU:eek: Sorry I'm clueless about the technical details! To be honest I have been trying to buy a mac since 2012 but everytime I have waited for the next gen as the rumors were pretty intriguing so I don't know if I should wait for this last time but again people speculate that it will be out in 2015 or so as apple just refreshed the haswell models. So I'm stuck again :confused:

22. Tourgott macrumors member

This is what happens if you always wait for something better :D
    Imagine how much fun you could have had since 2012 with your Mac.

Seriously, get the 2014 rMBP if you really want one. There's nothing wrong with it and I'm pretty sure there won't be a design change in the next few years. Apple really got the perfect design with their rMBP's. I also don't think it will get any (noticeable) thinner, because there's no space anymore for the ports. It's already incredible thin. I think they will concentrate on longer battery life and such things instead.

Of course CPU and GPU will get better but that's always the case. You could wait every year like you did it since 2012.

23. macfreak101 thread starter macrumors regular

Haha, now that I think of it this way I feel that you're right! But there were rumors that Apple is going to completely change the design and re innovate the new Mbp retina laptops, I would just feel bad if I got the current one and if something like that happens! But again if I procrastinate I will end up with nothing hehe 😂😂I'll just go for it probably! By the way is the apple care worth it? Should one purchase it?

24. Tourgott macrumors member

When are there no rumors that Apple re innovates a product? ;)
    These are mostly just rumors.

I never needed the Apple support or repair service. Mac's are very durable. Maybe if you travel a lot Apple care could be worth it.

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

Try to get the rmbp 2013 2.4/8/256 on a discount. For your described uses 128gb will be too little.