Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Media Event Near April First?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

AppleInsider reports that Apple will hold a media event in conjunction with its 30th anniversary on April 1, but that the date of the event may be just before or after April 1st since the day is a Saturday.

Sources are almost certain the event will play host to a new line of 13-inch widescreen consumer iBook notebooks based on Intel microprocessors. Additional announcements such as a high-end 17-inch MacBook Pro and a high-profile iPod-related product may also be in the cards.

The last media event, on February 28, saw the introduction of the new Intel Mac mini and the iPod Hi-Fi.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
AppleInsider also states that the event should be more exciting/important than the previous event, and that Apple needs to move quickly because of the upcoming educational buying season.

Comment

Chundles

macrumors G4
Jul 4, 2005
So has AI just become a subsidiary of the Stating the Bleeding Obvious Media Group??

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Prepare to start whinning when those 13" iBooks come with IIG..

( Personally, I don't care - I'm hoping for dual cores!)

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Chundles said:
So has AI just become a subsidiary of the Stating the Bleeding Obvious Media Group??

Probably because they got sued a while back right? Or was that think secret?

Yeah Stella, I wonder how they will fill the $1000 price range they have now...Will they go from bottom of the barrel single cores up to really nice dual cores?

Comment

gunm

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2006
HI
I don't care, I'm still excited as I'm really looking forward to a duo core Macbook.

Anyone care to wager whether the event will be held on the 28th of this month or 4th of next month as Appleinsider speculates? Of course both dates might be wrong, but I'll choose the 4th to be safe...

Comment

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I vote for Wednesday the 29th of March. Apple has shifted some of the big announcements to Wednesdays in recent past, and that gives ample time for the media outlets to crow or bash whatever they unveil. OTOH, Steve is certainly not above making us wait until the following week.

Comment

Mammoth

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2005
Canada
Perfect timing.. I happen to be on vacation in Silicon Valley on the 1st, maybe I can go watch myself. Anyone know if 'civilians' are allowed into these things, or just devs and media peeps?

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Mammoth said:
Perfect timing.. I happen to be on vacation in Silicon Valley on the 1st, maybe I can go watch myself. Anyone know if 'civilians' are allowed into these things, or just devs and media peeps?

You need a ticket which is pretty pricey.

Comment

darh

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2005
Mammoth said:

probably inventation only:(

Comment

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
I know that the IBOOK is one of the biggest sellers in the MAC range, but wouldn't that be kind of a mundane thing to drag out to mark the company's 30th anniversary?

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
iMeowbot said:
I know that the IBOOK is one of the biggest sellers in the MAC range, but wouldn't that be kind of a mundane thing to drag out to mark the company's 30th anniversary?

Not if it has a redesigned case like people were discussing before... (was that even a real rumor or did people just say it so often they thought it was true?)

Comment

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'm intrigued that they think there will be ibook and 17" MB Pros but not 12/13" MB Pros. Does that mean the 12" powerbook is not going to be replaced and there will be no "pro" laptop below 15"?

If that's the case, there had better be some nice offerings (at least on a higher-end model) on the 13" ibook. If apple doesn't offer a 12/13" notebook (they can call it either line they want) with DVI, core duo, and dedicated graphics, I (and a lot of others) are going to be pretty angry.

Personally, I think there will be no 12/13" "pro" notebook. The MBP will be available only in 15" and 17", and the ibook/macbook will be available only in 13" but will have options ranging from a 1.5 Ghz core solo to a 1.66 Ghz core duo, all models with DVI. I think this because Al casing not withstanding, the 12" PB has always been a lot closer to the ibook than to the bigger powerbooks. So I think apple will make it official and just axe it rather than trying to differentiate between the 13" ibook and 13" MBP.

Comment

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
iMeowbot said:

Not if they go on to sell a shed load of 'em!

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Yeah, QCassidy352 if they don't release a smaller 'book that packs a pretty nice punch (a duo) we should storm Apple HQ. I don't care what the call it as long as they can put nice specs in it. Do you think that a smaller book would be able to handle higher end core duos and video cards or would they need to water it down to get it to fit in a smaller case? From what I remember it seems like the 15" is pretty packed right?

Comment

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
I know I'm just dreaming, but I wish they'd offer a higher-end 13" MacBook with a BTO option of aluminum or similar metallic enclosure. Then just have 15" & 17" pro models.

But I know that won't happen...

Comment

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
m-dogg said:
I know I'm just dreaming, but I wish they'd offer a higher-end 13" MacBook with a BTO option of aluminum or similar metallic enclosure. Then just have 15" & 17" pro models.

But I know that won't happen...

We don't know what the enclosure type will be at all...

Comment

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
excalibur313 said:
Not if it has a redesigned case like people were discussing before... (was that even a real rumor or did people just say it so often they thought it was true?)
it's been rumored numerous times but that doesn't mean it's a bunch of made-up hooey.

Check out this report from AI back in November.

Without getting into specific dates at this time, sources familiar with Apple's Macintosh hardware roadmap say the company is striving to unveil a completely redesigned set of Intel iBook laptops just in time for next year's K-12 educational buying season, which takes place around April or May.

Apple currently offers iBooks with either a standard 12- or 14-inch screen, but looks poised to introduce a completely new model built around (what appears to be) a 13-inch widescreen.

-13" widescreen
-built-in iSight
-25% thinner
-new magnetic latch
-frontrow with apple remote
-magsafe
-mac mini mobo

Please please please, Steve, let it be true. And yeah, discrete graphics in the higher end!

Comment

Agathon

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Hope it ain't a revamp of the iPod since I bought one yesterday.

Ahhh.... who am I kidding, if I lost an arm today, I wouldn't notice as long as it wasn't the one holding my iPod. lurve....

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.