Apple Mighty Mouse?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by faust, Sep 11, 2007.

1. faust macrumors regular

faust

I''m buying a mouse for my Macbook Pro today, and I'm wondering if I should get a Mighty Mouse(wired) or a third party mouse from Logitech or Microsoft. The reason I'm buying it is because playing computer games such as World of Warcraft or say, Bioshock, is annoying with a trackpad. I'm sure you all can agree with me on that. In addition to video games, I would be requiring the mouse for all Photoshop functions excluding when I use my wacom.

What should I go with?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Mighty Mice are pretty but have a high failure rate. It seems that later versions are more reliable than the early ones.

3. reno55 macrumors member

I can tell you that I just got an iMac and was using a 3rd party Logitech mouse until I was told the mighty mouse will also do right/left clicking...now I wont go back to another mouse...I LOVE IT!

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

From personal experience:

2 Mighty Mice — both had the roller ball pack up after a month or two. First I had replaced by Apple. The second I couldn't be bothered.

Replaced it with a Logitech MX Revolution. It doesn't "Look" like it fits with the Mac Pro etc, but it works and is a dream to use. :D

Apple's mice are cr*p! :mad:

5. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

It has a single click and doube click? I thought it was only single and to double click you would have to use the single click and the key on the keyboard.

6. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Nope, it has a left and right click. There isn't a visible divider on the mouse; simply press the left side and you get typical left click, touch the right half and you get a right click.

7. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

It also has squeeze buttons on the sides, and the roller can be pressed as a button also. The scroll ball also goes horizontally in addition to vertically.

I really do think the later ones are much improved. I went through two of these rather quickly with the typical roller ball problems, but the third one has been fine for over eight months now.

8. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

it is ok. I don't find it that comfortable and I wouldn't bet money on if it will right click all the time. Other than that it is a good mouse.

The Stig

9. mark2288 macrumors regular

Bought an Apple Mighty Mouse about a year ago and the trackball crapped out not too long after.

I've been using a Logitech VX which fits perfectly in my hand and I have absolutely no complaints. I highly recommend it.

I would avoid buying Apple Mice unless they took some serious steps to fix the issues with their mice.

10. MK2007 macrumors regular

Microsoft makes some of the best mice. I just bought another MS Comfort Optical Mouse 3000 last night for a new computer. Don't even think about getting the Mighty Mouse. Apple hasn't had a good mouse design since the days of the beige Macs.

11. faust thread starter macrumors regular

faust

I bought a Razer DeathAdder, and may I just say it's the most responsive mouse I've ever purchased?

12. dschiller macrumors regular

I'm currently using a Logitech VX Revolution with my iMac, and I can tell you it's by far the best mouse I've ever used (I've used a Kingston wired mouse, a Microsoft Wireless mouse and a Mighty Mouse in the last few years).

13. ChrisA macrumors G4

I've gotten used to the Microsoft wheel mouse, the optical ones. I have then one Linux systems and a Mac. Then I bough this imac with a mighty mouse. It takes a while to get used to it. To right click I need to kind of drag the right corner but I like the "scroll ball" and the side bttons. Get it a week and you might like it too.

I'm left handed but use the mouse in my right hand. I'm used to using the mouse and pencil at the same time and can use the mouse and wacom tablet at the same time too. Works great.

14. mets1125 macrumors regular

I agree. MS mouse is so ergonomic. I have a question tho, if the mighty mouse malfunctioned would applecare cover it?

15. chriscorbin macrumors 6502

chriscorbin

NO MIGHTY MOUSE

ive had 5 and they all go bad in about a a month more or less, get a microsoft mouse they are great, M$ makes crappy software, but all the hardware they make is top notch

16. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I would rather use one of those $5 generic Dell mice that come with bulk computer orders than the mighty mouse.

Apple simply makes horrid mice. Going with a nice Logitech mouse is infinitely better, especially in games and programs that have a lot of right clicking like Photoshop. Apple mice dont even have teflon feet, just plastic, I mean my god...

You should only get that thing if you care more about everything on your desk matching than you care about usability and ergonomics.

17. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

I used the mighty mouse for awhile and it was ok, but nothing I would prefer to my trackpad. Then I bought the VX Revolution and it's absolutely amazing. Feels perfect and I find myself using my laptop on a desk more because I just enjoy it

18. sahnert macrumors 6502

I've had my mighty mouse since they were first released and it still works great. Just keep it clean and it should last. Whenever the trackball gets gummed up I follow these directions or rub it vigorously over a sheet of paper. Fixes it every time.

19. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I'd say go with a logitech VX or MX revolution. Whatever fits your hand better. Even a G5/G7/

20. pscoble macrumors 6502

Honestly I've Had the mighty mouse I've been using since Jan '06 and I still have no problems with it. In fact I really like the design and the way it feels in your hand.

21. vtprinz macrumors 6502

Depending on how you hold your mouse though, I'd be cautious about this. I've used a couple different mighty mice in stores, and I've found on each one of them that if I have my fingers too close to the center (which is my normal hold), it registers a left click every time. I really have to go toward the right edge to get it to register a right click. The track ball is also a bit too small for my taste, and the whole thing feels pretty plasticy and not well made.

I've never had a problem with Logitech's, and I've always heard good things about MS mice. I've had a few Kensingtons go out on me so I wouldn't bother with those.

22. Italchef macrumors 6502

Which is what I did and it fixed the ball problem but now I have no right click. Everything is set as it should be in preferences but the right, ball, and left buttons all act as a left click. Any suggestions? I think that I did something internally the last time I cleaned my ball. :confused:

Mickmac

23. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

Same here. Use mine for WoW, not a problem. Would like a little more customization on the buttons but that's it.

Ball gets clogged, but just takes a minute or two to clean.

24. macnvrbck macrumors regular

Despite what others say I have had no problems with my mighty mouse in over 1 year and it has not even needed cleaning. I think I got it for $21 on eBay in the orginal box with the orginal Apple store bag!!! Having Expose on the middle button and application switcher on the squeeze is great! Try it!

B

25. richardson.hila macrumors member

I bought a mighty mouse about 4 months ago and REALLY regret it. I tend to love apple hardware, but i find it really annoying to use, especially in games. It's really easy to left click when you mean to right click, and i often find that the bluetooth cuts out every now and then...the squeeze also really isn't that great if you also have expose set up, pretty much the same function, and the scroll wheel is too small and involves a lot of finger work to move a small amount...

Asides from that i do like that it doesn't have that horrible red light underneath, but most mice come with this nowadays. But i'd definitely go with the MX Revolution by Logitech, or even the Razer Copperhead/Viper for gaming (it's meant to be amazing.)

I don't really like the microsoft mice, they don't tend to come with a warranty, and anyone who doesn't want to protect their own goods isn't worth paying for in my opinion.