Apple Moved Location Services In-House With iPad and iOS 4

vaguely

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2008
I wonder if this explains why the "Locate Me" button is noticeably more accurate than it was before iOS4 on my 3g (which works perfectly with 4, btw, 'cos I had the patience to wait for it to finish the install properly)

reggoboy

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
WiFi Navigation Broke with iOS4

This explains why, after upgrading my iTouch to iOS4, the "WiFi navigation" in Maps that worked quite nicely stopped working.

Perhaps Apple's database of locations is much smaller than Skyhook's. And perhaps that will change over time. But for now, it's a big feature loss.

Dave

blubyu

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2010
But I think I would rather let Google handle my maps. The've been at it longer, StreetView shows that they really want to invest in it, and I have never had any problems with GoogleMaps. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
This kind of thinking has led to the demise of many tech companies my friend :)

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Disturbig Trend

Apple separating from Google is not a good thing for iPhone users. It's not just about WiFi location database. It's Google Earth, it's a huge database of businesses and all kinds of things where the search engine is of paramount importance. Going forward we can expect that iPhone users will have inferior experience in many regards. iPhone Google Maps application is very inferior to Android counterpart already. No Google Navigation on iPhone. The trend is not good.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
This maybe explains why my home location is now about 5 miles away with iOS4. Since they obviously never tested the OS on a 3G phone, I wonder if they tested this too.

chaosconan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2008
Apple separating from Google is not a good thing for iPhone users. It's not just about WiFi location database. It's Google Earth, it's a huge database of businesses and all kinds of things where the search engine is of paramount importance. Going forward we can expect that iPhone users will have inferior experience in many regards. iPhone Google Maps application is very inferior to Android counterpart already. No Google Navigation on iPhone. The trend is not good.
You yourself said it. You just made one of the major importance in not relying on Google services because "iPhone Google Maps application is very inferior to Android counterpart". Why? Google could have made both iPhone and Android apps with the same features. But they chose not to. And why is it that? Simple, when Google puts out an app for the Android they want iPhone app to leg behind on many features (competition). Regardless of whether Apple uses Google location-based services, Google will not change this approach and will continue to make iPhone apps inferior. And their excuse when questioned on my they don't introduce the same apps or same features on iPhone, they state that technologically its not possible. One of the worst lame excuses I have ever heard.

Nothlit

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2009
Google could have made both iPhone and Android apps with the same features. But they chose not to. And why is it that?
The Maps app on the iPhone is native to the OS. Updating that app requires an OS update. It can't simply be updated like a regular App Store app. I would also be willing to bet that Apple has a greater hand in the design and implementation of the Maps app on the iPhone than Google itself does... Apple just happened to choose Google as the underlying data provider for the app, but I'd bet that the app itself is written and maintained in-house by Apple.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Google services because "iPhone Google Maps application is very inferior to Android counterpart". Why? Google could have made both iPhone and Android apps with the same features. But they chose not to.
For your information that is Apple's fault, Google said many times (just look it up) they will bring the "same" google Navigation App to the iPhone if Apple Approves it. Guess what...they haven't!!

Same goes for Latitud and Gvoice

this is what Offical Google Spokeman said to Apple insider on a Interview:
"Apple is a close partner," a Google spokesperson told AppleInsider Wednesday. "Millions of users experience Google Maps on the iPhone. We will continue to work with Apple to bring innovation, including Latitude and Navigation, to users but you'll have to speak to Apple about availability."

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

Bing Maps is already better than Google Maps in a lot of things especially finding local businesses. and it looks cooler on the desktop version. and bing is already better at searching for things to do

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Bing Maps is already better than Google Maps in a lot of things especially finding local businesses. and it looks cooler on the desktop version. and bing is already better at searching for things to do
If history is any indication, Apple will not cooperate with Microsoft either so no Bing Maps for you ;)

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
The '1984' commercial by Apple was more foreboding than we could ever have imagined.
I wonder who'll be taking the swinging hammer to the :apple: in a couple of years.
Get a life. Apple relied on the likes of Microsoft in 1984 to be the agile hammer thrower and Microsoft turned out to be the IBM's successor to control.

Apple won't make that mistake with Google.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
If history is any indication, Apple will not cooperate with Microsoft either so no Bing Maps for you ;)

apple is already working with Microsoft on iOS for MS Exchange integration along with security. and OS X has all kinds of MS code to work with Windows and Exchange Server

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So, in fear of Google, Apple is reinventing the wheel? How much of this is taking place? Is Apple going to be sending vehicles around the world re-doing the mapping that Google (and others) have already done? How many people think this is a good idea? Can anyone say 'megalomania'? Are the meds influencing Steve's judgement? Heck, the maps are already screwed up enough.
I think it’s a good idea, and I’ve had no resulting problems. The benefit will come when Google/Skyhook are unable to interfere with or hold back Apple’s plans (not that they’d do so on purpose, but by lack of meeting Apple’s priorities).

What’s interesting is that AFAICT, they’re NOT sending vehicles around the globe like Skyhook and Google. They’re using our iPhones AS data collectors. As long as nothing is being sent about ME, that’s a pretty ingenious solution, far better than filling up gas tanks.

And if you’re paranoid that they ARE gathering info about you, then:

* Why do you trust Google and Skyhook more?

* Why do you trust their vans roaming the earth and reading your dreams?

* Why do you think it’s MORE scary that Apple SAYS they gather WiFi geolocation data like Google and Skyhook. Wouldn’t it be scarier if they pretended not to?

* If you don’t trust them (or at least, the likelihood that they’d get busted), then how can you buy anything that has WiFi or a GPS chip? They could track you, no matter what they “say.”

* In fact, how can you buy anything that has ANY chip in it? There could be a GPS in there you don’t know about!

* In fact, how can you buy anything that can’t be pushed through a sieve? :)

As for me... I say enjoy the benefits of technology, and rather than rejecting every item of personal electronics, keep a close eye on the practices of corporations. Abuses and mistakes WILL happen, so be glad for anyone out there (security researchers, regulators, paranoid users with Little Snitch) who can catch them and maybe stop them. They’re only human and it’s not a perfect answer, but giving up electronics and living in a tree eating grubs isn’t ideal either.

For all the anti google speak. For Android users we know that you have the ability to control a lot of aspects of privacy from the system settings. A lot more control than I had on my iPhone for sure.
What specifically? iPhone has pretty extensive and fine-grained privacy control, especially for this topic: location services. You can even see a history of which apps have tracked you lately, as a second-wave defense if you ACCIDENTALLY said Yes to a GPS request without realizing it. Android may have some specific benefits, but you can’t ignore that iOS has it’s own as well. Big ones.

The freedom and safety of Google over Apple seems to be largely soundbites to me. Specific examples of user freedom Apple took away seem to be quite rare and obscure—and the same could be said of Google or Microsoft easily.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple obviously need to have a strategy, a backup plan. We saw this again and again (intel switch, ROKR -> iPhone, etc). The current Google is not the old Google anymore. The Google fanboys are still thinking that Google is still the innocent and do-no-evil startup for some reason.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I think it’s a good idea, and I’ve had no resulting problems. The benefit will come when Google/Skyhook are unable to interfere with or hold back Apple’s plans (not that they’d do so on purpose, but by lack of meeting Apple’s priorities).

What’s interesting is that AFAICT, they’re NOT sending vehicles around the globe like Skyhook and Google. They’re using our iPhones AS data collectors. As long as nothing is being sent about ME, that’s a pretty ingenious solution, far better than filling up gas tanks.

And if you’re paranoid that they ARE gathering info about you, then:

* Why do you trust Google and Skyhook more?

* Why do you trust their vans roaming the earth and reading your dreams?

* Why do you think it’s MORE scary that Apple SAYS they gather WiFi geolocation data like Google and Skyhook. Wouldn’t it be scarier if they pretended not to?

* If you don’t trust them (or at least, the likelihood that they’d get busted), then how can you buy anything that has WiFi or a GPS chip? They could track you, no matter what they “say.”

* In fact, how can you buy anything that has ANY chip in it? There could be a GPS in there you don’t know about!

* In fact, how can you buy anything that can’t be pushed through a sieve? :)

As for me... I say enjoy the benefits of technology, and rather than rejecting every item of personal electronics, keep a close eye on the practices of corporations. Abuses and mistakes WILL happen, so be glad for anyone out there (security researchers, regulators, paranoid users with Little Snitch) who can catch them and maybe stop them. They’re only human and it’s not a perfect answer, but giving up electronics and living in a tree eating grubs isn’t ideal either.

What specifically? iPhone has pretty extensive and fine-grained privacy control, especially for this topic: location services. You can even see a history of which apps have tracked you lately, as a second-wave defense if you ACCIDENTALLY said Yes to a GPS request without realizing it. Android may have some specific benefits, but you can’t ignore that iOS has it’s own as well. Big ones.

The freedom and safety of Google over Apple seems to be largely soundbites to me. Specific examples of user freedom Apple took away seem to be quite rare and obscure—and the same could be said of Google or Microsoft easily.
The Android has 4 different location services you can enable or disable, as well as a history of connections, as well as when downloading an application it specifically tells you what services are being used by the app. I think Apple does a fine job but all these useless blab of Google being so much eviler than Apple is dumb. Both companies use us all for 1 thing... data because data is the new dollar.

Apple obviously need to have a strategy, a backup plan. We saw this again and again (intel switch, ROKR -> iPhone, etc). The current Google is not the old Google anymore. The Google fanboys are still thinking that Google is still the innocent and do-no-evil startup for some reason.
Same could be said for Apple.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
We already have the option to use Bing on Safari. Really though, if you look at Microsoft, it seems like they are a tamer giant now. Besides, your enemy's enemy is your friend. Google is doing all it can on all fronts to compete with MS (Chrome OS, all their online services, etc).

AlphaBob

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2008
Rhode Island
Location service off when using Microcell

That is interesting to know and probably explains why my updates to WiFi MAC address and location info to Skyhook have failed to produce accurate location service reporting when I am on my local WiFi, or 3G Microcell service.

I sure wish Apple would let us know how to correct mistakes in their database, because they are precisely 1 degree off in their reported Latitude, which puts me in the middle of a lake in a totally different state.

The only time my 3G or 4 phone reports the correct location is when it is using a cell phone tower.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Same could be said for Apple.
How so? Sure, Apple is big too, not disputing that, but the core ideology is still the same. Apple (Jobs) is all about control. This is true from the beginning till today. Nothing has changed other than their products are more widely used by the masses.

Google on the other hand used to talk big. Do no evil. Heck, they even joined the spectrum bid, and how they wanted everybody to have fast internet access. Yet they didn't follow through with any of those. Now, they're trying to copy Facebook, copy twitter, copy Bing, bitch with Apple, made a deal with China, etc. Oh, and Android is taking us back to carrier-controlled phones (US). :rolleyes:

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
For all the anti google speak. For Android users we know that you have the ability to control a lot of aspects of privacy from the system settings. A lot more control than I had on my iPhone for sure.
As long as you don't download any wallpapers. :mad:

gnasher729

macrumors P6
Nov 25, 2005
I sure wish Apple would let us know how to correct mistakes in their database, because they are precisely 1 degree off in their reported Latitude, which puts me in the middle of a lake in a totally different state.
Turn on "Location Services" on an iPhone or iPad with built-in GPS. That's all.