Apple Moving Ahead Of the Windows?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smogsy, Feb 2, 2008.

?

What Will Apple Catch up on the Gaming Market?

1. 6 months

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  2. 1 year

4 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. 3 Years

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  4. 5 Years

9 vote(s)
    11.3%
  5. Never

35 vote(s)
    43.8%
  6. When Apple Has Better Knowledge

7 vote(s)
    8.8%
  7. I wish This Happened

8 vote(s)
    10.0%
  8. This Shouldnt Happen at all.

13 vote(s)
    16.3%
  1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

we all know apples growing pretty fast with a lot of converters moving in,

i think personally to apple ahead faster or even catch up with windows in the market share.. apple needs to allow for gamers, in this respect i mean be as good as windows at playing games natively (i know you can boot camp but thats not the point)

so basically my question is when do you think apple wll get its gaming self come to scratch of say XP/PC??

With EA/ID software on board it has started moving slowly, But there not Gamers Games as in (Crysis,Call of duty 4 etc)

also apple would also need to allow better graphic card options, Such as 8800GTX and so on.

Maybe a Gaming Line With These options?

post your thoughts i know someone will flame...

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

I think you need to do a bit more research to find out what games are the most played.

Games cover a wide spectrum and Crysis, Call of Duty 4 etc. are part of a small market.

Casual gamers by far outnumber those who play Crysis etc.

And quite frankly I do not see the purpose of Apple supporting a different operating system so the minority gamers can get their fix. If it on the other hand meant that we would get an increased number of games available for Mac OS X that aren't crippled, ported pieces of manure then I am all for that.

But the current selection of graphic cards are really not that bad.

3. ceiph macrumors regular

this doesnt have to happen at all, i used to be a huge pc gamer, the advance in console gaming is what allowed me to buy a mac. i dont want to start a pc vs console war, but for the most part general people are fine using a mac and an xbox 360, :)

4. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

casual gamers dont count, due to most of there games are on the mac already

WoW,sims,tigerwoodsrollercoaster tycoon,simcity are all casual games.....

i know what games are the most played Your looking at CSS,COD4,C&C3(millions of gamers on these to games alone)

im not suggesting apple create a new os just to optimize there current Opengl as best they can

the only Gaming Card Apple Offers is 8800GT 2600XT is worthless in FPS Games when i meant a new line i mean for example modfifed line

For Example

Mac Pro
    8800GTX
    and as new Major cards are out a update to support them (such as 7900GTX,8800GTX,9800GTX) thats only a 6-12 month thing

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Never going to happen. Look at the stuff they sell; the focus is on consumer gadgets. That's where they make the bulk of their dough--hip, cool, whiz stuff that propels an image [justified or not] of quality, sophistication, etc. You don't get that from games. Alienware's client base is completely different from Apple's, and there's nothing wrong with that.

6. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

you mean dell client base a alienware is now dell :p

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Maybe some years after Steve Jobs retires if PC gaming is still prevalent.

8. lamerlizer macrumors regular

lamerlizer

9. -Noodles macrumors regular

-Noodles

If apple intends on attracting youngsters and keeping them for life they need to attack on all three fronts of the youth market - movies, music, and ahem* games. I realize in the short term this sounds like a sort of a pipe dream but long term this is as fundamental as music or movies. After all games are the leading type of software sold on the pc (second is anti-virus software, no surprise). Unfortunately Microsoft's development of the xbox has helped to fortify their position as a platform. But hopefully, (crosses fingers) leave it to apple to come up with something revolutionary.

10. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I'm saying 6 Months as i've seen EA get on the Apple band wagon with a few games and there are alot of PC games ported over.

I used to be a strong PC gamer but when the PS3 got released (Brought it mainly for Blu-Ray which Mac hasn't got) i bought it and now have 40 games which i play at least 3 1 hours segments on 3 games and find it better than on PC.

But if Mac does catch up in 6 months (Which i think it will) i'll go desktop and console best of both worlds.

My just 2¢

Northy124

11. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Gamers want the best machines for the least amount of money, Apple isn't that. PCs will always be cheaper and can be custom built for games.

12. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

What will Apple catch on the Gaming Market?

To answer your poll question precisely ...

I think Apple will probably catch the edge of it's sleeve on the Gaming market, or perhaps it's tie if it leans in too close.

;)

13. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

OP what country are you from?

Just a side question, but now to answer the central premise of the thread:

Gaming is, and will always be, a very niche market on computers. Most people who like to play games will buy a Wii or an XBox, or a PS3 (and their future replacements). Consoles deliver better interfaces and can support a wider variety of games without much trouble.

Gaming on computers requires a constant upgrade of hardware and that is contrary to Apple's core philosophy. Apple would have you buy a computer, use it for a few years, and then replace it with a new computer. It appears to be a successful business model as Mac sales are growing faster than PC sales (and have been for a while now).

The critical thing to remember is that Apple can only offer a limited array of products (only with the macbook air does Apple now have 3 notebook models and 3 desktop models; just a few years ago it was only 2 notebooks and 2 desktops).

In order to be profitable, Apple (and pretty much any company in the world) needs to know it's market and attract that particular market. Apple knows that gaming is at best a weak market, a market that needs more 3rd party upgrades, and a market that has traditionally shunned Macs.

So, why would Apple pursue the gaming market?

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Apple just doesn't place the same emphasis on gaming that Microsoft does.

15. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

i'm from england, just got my first mac last week and well. i love it, i ill be getting a Mac Pro Next Year (i2nd mac and 6th computer in this house)

i used to be a big gamer I've actually given them up for mac, but i just wondered in the future if it will catch up with the gaming market so i can have best of both worlds natively.. i don't see the point in buying a mac to run windows 100% of the time thats just dumb,

hopefully will get GOOD games natively with good gpus.

as above as for consoles there no where near as good as pc in fps market heck they have auto aim...

i did play games professionally, for quite a while it be great to show up with my Mac Pro at the next big lan and kick there bum as usual

16. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm kind of in the same position. I am looking to buy a Mac Pro between now and the summer and it will replace my self built powerhouse PC. My idea however, is to buy my Mac Pro with either a Dell monitor (which has 2 inputs) or an ACD (and use a KVM switch). I will then use my Mac Pro as my main computer and my PC for games.

17. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Get a Dell with HDCP it also cheaper than ACD without HDCP (Well for me it is)

18. smogsy thread starter macrumors 6502a

i dont like dell mointors at all most of them arent to great LG Samsung ftw

Samsung new 26inch is great 10000:1 constrat ratio

19. kabunaru Guest

Why do so many people think Mac won't someday be popular for games?
    I think more games will come to Mac sooner or later and the Mac will rival the PC someday (in games).

20. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Apple doesn't compete directly with Microsoft; they compete against Dell and other PC manufacturers that sell systems directly to consumers.
    Microsoft does not produce a "PC" per se.
    ie: You cannot go to Best Buy and purchase a "Microsoft" computer system.

Microsoft is a software company.
    Apple is a computer company.

21. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

Actually Stone Computers Is Owned By M$ So They Are Technically a PC Maker

22. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I voted Never. I don't see games as where it's at for Apple. Things like WoW, sure, and damn WoW runs well on Macs, but not your high end stuff.

23. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

Microsoft market share is based the composite sales of ALL PCs running Windows.
    Apple has already surpassed the Stone Computer company market share.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Frankly very few people game on the PC now to be honest, Crysis only sold 60 thousand copies on the PC, whereas Call of Duty 4 sold 1 million copies on the XBox alone.

25. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

I still think PC game is the way to go, it offers more controls for complicated games.