Apple Multi-SIM is revolutionary...when coming to iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 100thMonkey, Oct 16, 2014.

1. 100thMonkey
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

This is groundbreaking...switching carriers on the fly, imagine being able to do so with the phone...especially if the phone number went along with it. Being able to use TMUS in the city and VZW in the 'burbs and beyond. Just flip to whatever carrier you want....this is truly REVOLUTIONARY. I can't wait to see this evolve.

2. wxman2003
    Expand Collapse
    Suspended

I hope Apple does this with future iPhones. This would be great for competition. However, carriers love locking people into contracts, and they will have the final say, not Apple.

3. iolinux333
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

MultiSIM phones have been around for more than a decade. Why would Apple suddenly start now ?

4. 100thMonkey
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

I would, quite frankly, be more than happy to have two contracts and flip back and forth as needed, especially if my phone number would stay in place and it would be transparent...freakin' wet dream

----------

This is different...having a SIM and seamlessly switching between carriers without needing to reboot or anything else...clearly phones would have the extra hurdle of having the phone number remain consistent despite the carrier. I guess that is still in the future

5. jent
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

jent

Are you referring to phones with two SIM slots?

This is much bigger. Imagine switching carriers on the fly as if you were logging into a new email address. And you could presumably keep your financial details private by paying with Apple Pay. The iPad is baby steps and this will be huge when it (hopefully) eventually comes to the iPhone.

6. iolinux333
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

Hmmm. This is maybe a new thing. I will investigate. Do you have a good link?

----------

I always have the same phone number on all devices and have for years because of Google Voice. I'm still totally not yet understanding what the concept is this thread is about. Trying to understand...

7. 100thMonkey
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors member

Its about turning carriers into dumb pipes, switching back and forth as necessary.

Yes, it can be down with multi-SIM devices and with Google voice but its not seamless. Seamless is the elegant simplicity...

8. jayf
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

Imagine you travel between two countries frequently, as I used to do. Having two sims with two carriers, one from each country would have enormous benefits.

9. Applejuiced
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I really like this new multi carrier sim.
    Get the phone and use its sim with whoever you want.
    Off course Verizon didn't like that idea...

10. Lylyluvda916
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

I too hope to see these offered for iPhones in the future.

11. sillywabbit
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

Problem is your are locked into a contract.

I can see using data and switching when needed or some sort of phone service like a calling card where you pay by the minute.

12. yaboyac29
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

This would be great and would piss off a lot of carriers..

Imagine their faces when they see they can't charge ridiculous roaming fees in other countries?! LOL

Hmm.. Roam for $100/5mb of data or just go into your settings and buy a package for your trip.

13. Altimax98
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Altimax98

Apple Multi-SIM is revolutionary...when coming to iPhone

This could be one of the best things ever or the worst.

The best - this allows seamless usage between any carrier (CDMA excluded) and make it super simple for unlocked phones.

The worst - carriers get the best of this (meaning carrier locks of sorts) and the device is only certified for carrier A or carrier C but not carrier B because they didn't pay Apple... I hope that's not the case, but who knows.

14. Rayy42
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

Rayy42

I used to work for a small prepaid dealer and we sold Android powered phones from a new American based company called Blu and they would ship a majority of their phones with dual sim card features. It was really easy to toggle from one sim slot to another in the settings but unfortunately each SIM card still had its own individual number and plan with respective carrier.

But a girl can dream! Maybe one day

15. alphaod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors Core

alphaod

Until the day I can use the same SIM between multiple carriers simultaneously, it's not interesting enough.

16. Supermallet
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Supermallet

That's what the new iPad has. One Apple-branded sim, works on AT&T, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Verizon isn't on board for whatever reason. But there's no swapping of sims on the iPad Air 2 (again, unless you have Verizon), only swapping of carriers on the same sim.

17. E3BK
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

E3BK

Can you actually flip between carriers once it's been activated on one though?

18. mdlooker
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Well they've already started relaxing the phone capability. The 6 series are able to go from carrier to carrier unlike in previous years.

Come on FCC.. bring on some more heat

19. Supermallet
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Supermallet

It says you can use short term plans on each carrier.

20. haoledoc
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

This is nice, but ultimately it would be best to have no SIM at all.

21. DerekRod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Really?Cause I most definiltey can't use my AT&T iPhone 6 on Verizon or Sprint

22. mdlooker
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

mdlooker

If it's carrier locked, no you won't. But it has the capability as your AT&T phone has a MEID number (essentially the same as your IMEI minus the last digit) which is required on Verizon. As I've learned through threads on here, once your phone is unlocked, you can place an already-activated Verizon SIM into you AT&T phone and it should work w/o any issues.

23. DerekRod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yes only on Verizon though because Vzw can't block any LTE device that uses there 700Mhz frequency due to the open protocol.But Sprint most certainly can.My AT&T device is unlocked and won't work with the Sprint SIM(I just tried it)

24. mdlooker
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

mdlooker

Okay did a lil more research of threads and it seems Sprint isn't allowing their phones to be released.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1798901&page=2

25. DerekRod
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Sprint is supposedly unlocking phones domestically in February.We shall see though Sprint is completely FUBAR