Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I'm sorry but, WTF is a Monthly Unique User?!.. All I can say is, if Apple Music was good, we wouldn't be having articles like this... Let's face it, Apple Music is the "Samsung Galaxy" of Music Streaming. Tim Cooks, please buy Spotify and don't change a thing. That way we can move on and forget about what a fiasco AM has been...

Wildhope

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2017
NY
I didn't like Apple Music at first because it ruined my library artwork etc. the first time but the iCloud library is really nice. I do think the app is still very confusing at times. By the end of this year it should be at 40 million users?

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
Useless study is useless.
How is it useless?
[doublepost=1490842442][/doublepost]I've found that Spotify's music selection is so lacking that I don't even consider it an option. Apple Music has a wide selection, but their UI is really confusing, especially because I'm way too scared to "merge" my local library with my Apple Music library for many reasons. Also, iTunes Radio has been becoming glitchier while iTunes and the iOS Music app have been becoming generally worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: tonyr6

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Apple hides Apple Music on the Apple App Store so I can't compare its rating and number of reviews to gauge popularity against Spotify but on Google Play store Spotify clearly leads Apple Music.

Spotify
4.5/5 rating
7,970,477 reviews
100,000,000 to 500,000,000 installs

Apple Music
3.4/5 rating
146,747 reviews
10,000,000 to 50,000,000 installs

sudo1996

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Berkeley, CA, USA
I have had the same issue twice now. Went for the 1 month trial when it started, then again when I got a free 12 month sub through my carrier (Telstra) with my 7+. Some of my songs are live or alternate versions, and they end up being replaced by album versions. Cover art for a few albums gets messed up too.
I think I'll just stick to my ripped CD collection and free Spotify for my music. My library is safe that way.
Yep, exactly why I keep saying no to iTunes merging my local and Apple Music libraries. Same kind of crap iCloud pulls when you start using it for photos, only probably worse. I don't trust it.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
I have to laugh at this article. Always spinning it to make Apple look like they're dominating. For smartphone articles it's always "but Apple is taking all the revenue". When it's something like this it's "but Apple has more unique users".

Always switching the criteria of success to make it look like Apple is always leading. Pathetic.

There's nothing in this article that hints to an AM "domination".

And yes, Apple is completely dominating the smartphone space, any way you slice it (best selling phone models, #1 phone seller, ASP, profits).

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
MR,

Why is the word beats in this title capitalized? Did Apple change the name of their music service to Apple Music Beats?

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
For the capital Apple has available to them, Spotify should be clinging to the edge of life at this point ... but it's not.

Yup. 'Cause Apple insists on making iTunes more and more counterintuitive … and ugly.

Col4bin

macrumors 68000
Oct 2, 2011
El Segundo
Congrats Apple... When you're all done giving each other hi-fives and patting yourselves on the back, as a paying Apple Music subscriber, please get back to work ironing out the bugs in the software to perfect the user experience. IMO Apple Music still has a ways to go in this regard.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
I find all this very interesting.
35 years ago I listened to LPs, and radio
25 years ago I listened to CDs, and radio
20 years ago I listened to MP3s from Napster, and no radio
10 years ago I listened to podcasts and no radio
Today, I mostly listen to radio, via internet.
I have a Spotify family account, but I haven't started Spotify in months. I don't think I would miss it, really. And Apple Music is so far from what I would want it's not even relevant.

I'm fed up with choices and playlists. I like curated music, well done, very well done. Public Service Radio, that's where it's at.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
I seriously don't get what so many of you find "confusing" about the new music app. Sure it's not perfect but Spotify has its own issues just maybe in different parts of the app. I'll agree the older interface was more of a mess than this new iteration.

Plus there's no use complaining much about it at this point. The new design language of the music, news, tv apps is here to stay. Even apples website is making fonts thicker and larger. I wouldn't be surprised if iOS 11 adopts this look in even more apps.

If you look at past subscriber numbers they've gained 8-10 million of the current "over 20 million" subs just in the last 6 months. So that right there is proof something's going right.

Reactions: Neonblue

iamtheonlyone4ever

Suspended
May 27, 2016
i recently signed for a free trial in apple music and it was only one month free not 3 months, i downloaded many songs and when i started listening to them i noticed something very weird and strange, the music in apple music doesn't have bass, well it does have bass but very little compared to original cd's or flac even mp3, the songs from apple music has a little more fidelity, like more treble but it lack on bass, i think apple did something to the songs so they sound good in headphones, air pods etc but if you compared the songs using a sound system you will notice the difference very quick, i cancelled the subscription and deleted the whole library i can't listen to music if they lack on bass, they should leave the song normal "untouched"

set the equalizer in iTunes listen to a song that you downloaded from apple music, now listen to that same song from a cd without changing anything on the equalizer, you will notice the difference quick
but you need a sound system with subs.

Last edited:

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Can anyone explain why this is different per country?
In the Netherlands we only have 1 month (was 3 months previously!)

87a1911dfdf0d8bd8c348d2e084203d3cd17b124_69271.png

098783cb77c68996ff4a13558898f4d91f7943fb_69271.png

bobmepp

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
For the capital Apple has available to them, Spotify should be clinging to the edge of life at this point ... but it's not.

I shouldn't have issues queuing up songs that contain a mix of AM downloaded music, AM streamed music, and songs from my own library.

And I never do. Why am I never able to replicate the issues people say they have with AM as it is now? Note that I was a severe critic of AM during its early iterations and quit twice - but I feel it has surpassed Spotify at this time at least with respect to interface and library size. If you are satisfied with a much smaller library size limit, then Spotify may be fine for you, especially for popular music which is governed by trends. I am not at all surprised that Spotify continues to do well - there are a lot of people on this earth all with different tastes & needs - it's a good thing there is competition.

Last edited:

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
There's nothing in this article that hints to an AM "domination".

And yes, Apple is completely dominating the smartphone space, any way you slice it (best selling phone models, #1 phone seller, ASP, profits).

Not if you slice it as market share / units.
idc-jan-2017-2.png

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Apple hides Apple Music on the Apple App Store so I can't compare its rating and number of reviews to gauge popularity against Spotify but on Google Play store Spotify clearly leads Apple Music.

Spotify
4.5/5 rating
7,970,477 reviews
100,000,000 to 500,000,000 installs

Apple Music
3.4/5 rating
146,747 reviews
10,000,000 to 50,000,000 installs

User mi7chy hides the fact that Spotify has been out far longer than Apple Music and neglects to provide a timeframe. Also no stock app has ever been on the app store

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
idc-jan-2017-2.png

That chart shows Apple as the #2 smartphone manufacturer out of literally hundreds of OEMs. That's actually pretty good.

It looks like Samsung is "dominating"... but that doesn't mean Apple is some kind of failure. :)

Seriously... if #2 is bad... what about #3 or #52 or #147 ?

bobmepp

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2014
I find all this very interesting.
35 years ago I listened to LPs, and radio
25 years ago I listened to CDs, and radio
20 years ago I listened to MP3s from Napster, and no radio
10 years ago I listened to podcasts and no radio
Today, I mostly listen to radio, via internet.
I have a Spotify family account, but I haven't started Spotify in months. I don't think I would miss it, really. And Apple Music is so far from what I would want it's not even relevant.

I'm fed up with choices and playlists. I like curated music, well done, very well done. Public Service Radio, that's where it's at.

Everyone is different, but for me, as a classical and jazz fan, mainly, I currently have a library on AM of about 40,000 tracks. This allows me to either pick an album to listen to, or, if I am driving or working, to shuffle play, knowing that whatever comes up will be something I like and something that I expressly chose. And that makes me look forward to using AM every day. I tried to accumulate a library on Spotify to use in a similar manner, and I was hit with a rather cocky message that my library was big enough, when I hit 10,000 tracks - Spotify's apparent limit. That was the Spotify deal breaker for me. I understand that AM's library limit is about 100,000 tracks, far more appropriate for a true music lover.
[doublepost=1490856524][/doublepost]
idc-jan-2017-2.png

But IDC beats the sad dead horse of market share year after year, ignoring the most important stat, which is share of market profits, where Apple massively dominates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.