Apple Music Connect's 'Clunky' Posting Process Detailed by Indie Artist

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 3, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

After the launch of Apple Music earlier in the week, many users began searching and following their favorite artists on Apple's new social platform Connect, which aims to showcase new songs, videos, and pictures to fans of artists like Pharrell, Dr. Dre, and more, directly within the app. The process that artists have to take to create content for their fans was unknown, until today, when app developer and indie musician of the band Airplane Mode, Dave Wiskus, posted a detailed summary on his blog of the steps needed to make a post on Apple's new social platform.

Wiskus hoped that Apple's promise of Connect at WWDC meant a more level playing field between the musician and app developer worlds within the iTunes marketplace, and that "giving musicians any control at all over their brand identity on the iTunes Music Store," would create a more stress-free and inviting platform for musicians, especially independent ones. So, Wiskus and his band Airplane Mode decided to put Connect through the ringer: debuting a brand new track on the service and seeing if the fans' connection is as front-and-center as Apple intended.

The musician's first thoughts of the upload process are summed up in one word: "clunky." Wiskus found he needed the song he wanted to post to be in My Music in the iOS Music app, so for a brand-new, unreleased track, he had to sync it off his computer and then search for it on iOS. GarageBand updates for iOS and Mac released earlier this week also support uploads to Connect, but it is unclear if the format and process of using those apps was even more awkward or if Wiskus was unaware of these options. Other quirks with the upload process made it difficult to finalize details for his Connect post.

[​IMG]

For Wiskus, the biggest personal drawback is actually the complete lack of any in-depth fan interaction for his band once the content is actually uploaded to Connect.
    The indie musician makes multiple good points, especially in the lack of any in-depth social networking features on the service. Taking his band's new post as an example, Airplane Mode's post for the new song "Over It" got 7 loves and 4 comments, but the band can't determine its own follower count or the amount of people that actually interacted with the post.

Lacking as well is any interaction on a user's name or handle, which aren't clickable on iOS or Mac and PC, leaving musicians with no real way to browse their fan community in any meaningful way. But, as Wiskus notes, the service has laid the groundwork for a possibly richer version of itself in the future. "These are early days," the musician notes, "And there's hope."

For the full story of Wiskus's experience with Connect, check out his full blog post.

Article Link: Apple Music Connect's 'Clunky' Posting Process Detailed by Indie Artist

2. OzyOly macrumors 6502a

It's just Ping all over again. I disabled it the moment I signed up for Apple Music.

3. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

You would think that Apple would REALLY try and make this spectacular since Ping failed so hard.

4. kevin4 macrumors newbie

Connect is good enough. One thing that bothered me was that I couldn't listen to my music because apparently I wasn't subscribed to Apple Music, I had to reboot my phone in order for it to work again.

5. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

"But the worst offense of all is this: I can see no way to invite people to follow us on Connect."

Thank GOODNESS. The last thing I want is to be spammed with such trash. If I wanted that I'd be on Facebook all day.

6. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

The problem is, if it were any easier for artists and users to connect, they'd bond over how clunky Apple Music is as a whole. This was most likely a defensive measure.

7. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

I’ve already totally disabled the abomination that is Connect.

8. AngerDanger macrumors 601

AngerDanger

Ditto. I wish we could get that customizable bottom navigation back, too.

9. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Not sure that I care much about artists posting pics of themselves. The coolest feature here is the ability for artists to share playlists and unreleased music.

10. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

11. noty macrumors member

noty

I hope Apple can figure this out and artists start using it to post unreleased songs. Just in the 2 days since Apple Music has been released a number of artists I like have posted songs to soundcloud. It would be great if they would also posted them on Connect so I could add them to my playlists.

12. ke-iron macrumors 65816

I would expect nothing less. This is a 1.0 software release as the music app has been completely rewritten. However I still believe Apple has done a wonderful job overall and I'm sure they will move swiftly to rectify any bugs with the new service.

13. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

Couldn't agree with you at all.

It's a 1.0 of a music screaming app from the world's biggest company.

It's terrible for a 1.0 release.

14. schmidm77 macrumors member

And because Apple is still stupidly tying updates to built in app like music and iBooks to iOS releases, they can't push out updates or new features without releasing an entire OS update. By comparison, Google is constantly updating their apps and services.

15. Mackinjosh Suspended

Clunky pretty much sums up every single thing about Apple Music.

16. mrgraff, Jul 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

Sorry, but Apple doesn't get to use the "1.0" excuse. I can't tell if Apple forgot about Ping or they're hoping we did.

17. Wurm5150 macrumors regular

All Apple had to do was study Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social platform and what made them successful..then they can add their own flavor to Connect.

Apple is clueless when it comes to social. They need to improve Connect fast or this becomes the second coming of Ping.

18. mdellepi macrumors regular

Apple Music, for obvious reasons, is the first of Apple's new services without a public beta (like iCloud Photo Library had). The fact that they released if with iOS 8.4 and did not wait for iOS 9 suggests that they wanted some feedback as soon as possible. I hope most problems will be corrected in September...

19. knemonic macrumors 6502a

You'd think with the beats crew they would of put more curation tools to the musicians side.

My guess is everyone was focused on the consumer and not the supplier side. Build the consumer side and they will come, then musicians will be more involved and then apple will please them.

20. ke-iron macrumors 65816

Apple Music will succeed and it's obvious they've put a whole lot more effort into this than they have done with ping.

21. Tsuius macrumors regular

It is version 1.0 and I'm sure it will get better but it is far far from clunky.

22. Pagemakers macrumors 68020

Pagemakers

23. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

This is still the head scratcher for me.

There is NO REASON for these apps to be tied to an iOS update outside the major point release. Decouple the apps from the OS and let each team work on it and update it on their schedules.

24. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

Really? Can you give me one example of a Connect feed that has that? Because to sign up to Connect you have to already have music on Apple Music (for the most part, there are a couple of exceptions) and, at least to the Artists that Apple Music has me initially following, not one of them are posting "childish drivel" like what you mention. I have a feeling you may be exaggerating just a bit (or don't understand what Connect is) but if you are not, I really would like to see an example.

So far my Connect feed is filled with posts from Trent Reznor, Alessandro Cortini, Autolux, Beck, Muse and of course, my six music projects where I am posting mostly rare, unreleased demo tracks.

As to the OP, it is slightly clunky, but nowhere near as bad as Wiskus claims... it sound more like he just didn't know what he was doing, which is surprising for an iOS developer (I'm just a musician and I was able to easily upload all sorts of content with no issues, including photos, songs and videos.) But it's always the negative blog posts that get the most views, and that's where he succeeded, since his post got picked up by Macrumors...

25. Jason83 macrumors regular

Jason83

So let me get this straight, he was confused because he needed to have the song available on his device in order to upload it from said device? Apparently common sense is in the cloud, because this guy is stuck in Airplane Mode and can't Connect to it.