MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music on Android devices will not include Dolby Atmos support when Apple launches Spatial Audio on the streaming service in June. That's the claim from MySmartPrice, which says it received confirmation from Apple India that the sound technology would not be crossing the divide between Apple and Android ecosystems.

apple-music-android-listen-now.jpg

For anyone confused by all the audio nomenclature that's been bandied about since the Apple Music announcement on Monday, Dolby Atmos is based on surround sound technology that first appeared in cinemas but is now found in many home cinema setups.

It improves on standard 5.1 and 7.1 channel setups by adding extra channels that sound as if they're coming from overhead, resulting in a more immersive experience. The virtualized technology has since been used by sound engineers to enrich the recordings of both original and remixed music tracks.

Spatial Audio, based on Dolby Atmos, is basically Apple's way of delivering a similar immersive three-dimensional audio to listeners through Apple hardware. Spatial Audio takes Dolby Atmos signals and applies its own directional audio filters to make sounds appear to be coming from all around you. However, as mentioned, it only works on Apple devices and Apple headphones like AirPods Pro and AirPods Max, and there's no dynamic head tracking for Spatial Audio music like there is for movie soundtracks.

It's not clear exactly why Dolby Atmos won't be available for Apple Music users on Android when it launches, but it could be due to the lack of control Apple has over the handset and tablet hardware used, or perhaps rollout could come later. On the flip side, however, the higher quality Lossless audio streaming tier that Apple announced this week will be available on Apple Music for Android.

Article Link: Apple Music for Android Reportedly Won't Support Dolby Atmos

krspkbl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2012
UK
i know some people will think "It's only android who cares!" but Apple has totally messed up this whole announcement. If Apple really want to seriously compete with Spotify then they need to get their **** together and focus on not just people who buy iPhones/Macs but those with Androids and Windows PCs.

Yesterday many comment were like "Spotify is dead" but now that we know all those things about AirPods , HomePods not compatible and now this about Dolby Atmos on Android , I think Spotify is not scared at all anymore.
Apple has a long way to go before they can match Spotify. Apple Music is a great service but only if you own an Apple device. Spotify works great on everything.

I'm on my 3 month trial of AM and it's great on my 12 Pro Max. Using CarPlay is great (when the Music app launches...) but it's a god awful experience on Windows. Also, it's non existent on my TV which I would sometimes play music on.

Last edited:
Comment

CJM

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2005
U.K.
They need to update iTunes on Windows before I give up Spotify.
As the above commenter mentioned, people use a range of devices and platforms and high end streaming hardware often has Spotify built right in, saving you from having to AirPlay to the device from your phone.

Comment

krspkbl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2012
UK
Exactly. The right way to build an ecosystem is to offer great user experience everywhere. Not by being good only in your own hardware.
Yup. As a Windows user the options are: use archaic iTunes software or the buggy mess of a web player.

I'm using the web player. To be fair most of the time it does work but every so often songs will refuse to load. Also, it can randomly sign me out. Sometimes it thinks I'm in another country and says I can't play anything (refreshing helps). And there is some content that just isn't available so it tells you to use the app.

is it really too much to ask for a dedicated music app?

Comment

syklee26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2005
If u know anything about bluetooth then you would've known that none of Apple hardware would've supported lossless. Bluetooth as is just does not have enough bandwidth to support lossless.

I said many times to others but lossless audio is an ipados / macos feature and not an ios feature because ios devices do not have usb-c. You will need usb-c to 3.5 (or 4.4mm) dongle.

Comment

B/D

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2016
Yesterday many comment were like "Spotify is dead" but now that we know all those things about AirPods , HomePods not compatible and now this about Dolby Atmos on Android , I think Spotify is not scared at all anymore.

T3 is saying that Apple confirmed to them that Homepods will indeed support lossless audio as well, so we might have to wait to clarify that out.

We had hoped that Apple could enable some kind of Bluetooth secret sauce to allow for higher-quality audio over Bluetooth to its top-tier headphones, since the iPhone 12 and AirPods Max all support Bluetooth 5.0, which is theoretically capable of CD-quality audio transmission. But alas, it proved to be wishful thinking. And we presume the forthcoming AirPods 3 will be the same story.

It raises questions over what the best options for listening to the higher-quality music will be – Apple has already noted that listening to the 'Hi-Res Lossless' tracks will definitely require wired hardware such as an external DAC, but with no aptX Bluetooth support on iPhone, that means some kind of wired headphones and likely a dongle for 'Lossless' listening listening from an iPhone too.

Apple has also confirmed T3 support on Apple TV and HomePod, which may make it easier to hear the high-quality tracks. And if you have a Mac plugged into great speakers, that'll be an easy source, potentially.

Comment

EmotionalSnow

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
Apple has a long way to go before they can match Spotify. Apple Music is a great service but only if you own an Apple device. Spotify works great on everything.
Unfortunately yes. Spotify works on PlayStation and has a Discord integration. No such thing for Apple Music.

Comment

heov

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2002
Good post, Tim. You're a good journalist who simply reports without an obvious bias.

It could be a licensing thing on Android and/or device specific code that Apple's not ready for.

With all that said, I know very few people who use Apple Music, and basically no one who uses it in Android. There's basically no advantage to using Apple Music on Android unless you're somehow saving money.

Reactions: GeoStructural
Comment

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
i know some people will think "It's only android who cares!" but Apple has totally messed up this whole announcement. If Apple really want to seriously compete with Spotify then they need to get their **** together and focus on not just people who buy iPhones/Macs but those with Androids and Windows PCs.

I'm on my 3 month trial of AM and it's great on my 12 Pro Max. Using CarPlay is great (when the Music app launches...) but it's a god awful experience on Windows. Also, it's non existent on my TV which I would sometimes play music on.
Owning an Apple device does not guarantee Apple Music being a great service. On my brand new MacBook Air M1 Apple Music is terrible. Slow as molasses, buggy, search is garbage as it is on all Apple devices. However, Spotify is very good on the same Mac. Super fast and responsive, not buggy at all.

Things are seriously messed up in Apple HQ when they either cannot or have little interest in making Apple Music work smoothly in their own Operating System. What a way to run an operation...

Comment

AhRiHmAn

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2016
France
Owning an Apple device does not guarantee Apple Music being a great service. On my brand new MacBook Air M1 Apple Music is terrible. Slow as molasses, buggy, search is garbage as it is on all Apple devices. However, Spotify is very good on the same Mac. Super fast and responsive, not buggy at all.

Things are seriously messed up in Apple HQ when they either cannot or have little interest in making Apple Music work smoothly in their own Operating System. What a way to run an operation...
True , Spotify on Mac M1 is miles better than Apple Music , and it’s not even an Apple Silicon app…..

Reactions: Shadows_lord
Comment

dinosrk

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2019
Fine with me, just need the lossless confirmation! ~95% of the music is CD Quality anyway!

Comment

BuffaloTF

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2008

That's more around the assumption that Spotify is planning a premium tier to access lossless. Spotify will also fall victim to the shortcomings of 90%+ of Bluetooth devices currently owned.

Comment

Musicfanatic815

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2021

Agreed!! I thought it was just me! Apple Music on my M1 MacBook Pro is horrendous! Very slow, doesn’t always load when clicking on listen, browse, radio etc…. Spotify has no issues on the same device.

Comment

Freeangel1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2020
Apple Music for Android has Crossfade.

Apple Music for iOS has Lossless, but it doesn't work with my AirPods Pro or 3 HomePods (themselves worth over £800).

Think I'll just make the switch to Android! 😂 Kidding of course - I'm not an animal - but it does suck that features you want aren't on your platform, and even features you've got you can't use easily.
WOW. Not an Animal? and those of us that use Android on a daily basis are Animals?

Who blew all that money on Audio equipment that is not Future proof?

Comment

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
Has anyone yet found a good explainer of what devices are and aren’t compatible with which elements of the new lossless/Atmos features?

Comment

SirAnthonyHopkins

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2020
WOW. Not an Animal? and those of us that use Android on a daily basis are Animals?

Who blew all that money on Audio equipment that is not Future proof?
Relax, I think he was doing a joke.

But at the same time, yeah, Android? On a daily basis? What kind of creature are you?

Comment

somnolentsurfer

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
With all that said, I know very few people who use Apple Music, and basically no one who uses it in Android. There's basically no advantage to using Apple Music on Android unless you're somehow saving money.
It's not difficult to imagine scenarios where you might be saving money. Here's one: You're a kid with an Android handset, and your parents are already paying for Apple Music.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.