Apple Music Integration Possibly Coming to Google Home Devices [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music may be soon be available as an option on Google Home devices, according to an image that was shared by MacRumors reader Jason.

We were able to track down the Apple Music listing within the Google Home app for iOS devices, but at the current time, it can't be linked to a Google Home device.

In previous versions of Google's software, Apple Music was listed in a separate "limited availability" section of the app and also "Only available on iOS devices". The updated listing suggests that Apple could soon make Apple Music an available option for Google Assistant-powered playback on Google Home devices, much like it did with the Amazon Echo.

Back in December, Apple Music became available on Amazon's range of Echo speakers, allowing Alexa voice commands to be used to control Apple Music playback.

The Apple Music listing appears to be relatively new, and given that it's not working, it suggests an upcoming feature.

Apple Music expanding to Google Home speakers would make Apple's music service more accessible across all of the most popular smart home speakers that are available at the current time, expanding access far beyond just the HomePod. Many other music services are available on Google Home, including Spotify, Pandora, Google Play Music, YouTube Music, and Deezer.

Update: In a statement to VentureBeat, Google said that Apple Music is limited to Google Assistant and there is no new announcement regarding Google Home: "Apple Music is currently only available for Google Assistant users on mobile phones. We have nothing to announce regarding updates to Google Home."

Update 2: Apple Music is no longer showing up as an option in the Google Home app.

Article Link: Apple Music Integration Possibly Coming to Google Home Devices [Updated]

Reactions: jeremiah256

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
This is all I was waiting for to ditch HomePod tbh.

As soon as Sonos Beam adds GA or ideally if google comes out with a first party soundbar I'm out.

Last edited:

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Makes sense. Apple is not going to release cheap smart speakers, and this is an excellent way to ensure their services are supported on as many devices as possible. Meanwhile, the HomePod is still there for people willing to pay a premium for the best Apple experience.

As for Apple giving up on the smart phone, I will say that fears of that are overblown. The smart home is far from over, and who is to say that it’s current incarnation is even the right one?

https://www.aboveavalon.com/notes/2019/2/21/revamping-apples-home-strategy

With renewed focus on privacy, I will say google and amazon should be more worried about their current strategy than Apple.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Well, that's great. But from Apple's standpoint it's a move that will allow customers to just walk away off Apple ecosystem. And not losing anything by doing it.

I already love Music app on iOS and Android (instead of bloated iTunes). Add Google Assistant support for it and boom, you're able to enjoy AM at its fullest.

Next: iMessage app for my Windows 10 desktop

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple is going for Spotify’s throat.

Apple will never compete in the sub $50 speaker category so they have nothing to lose by making Apple Music available everywhere where Spotify is available.

Spotify’s entire revenue comes from their service. Apple Music exists to keep people in Apple’s ecosystem, buying iPhones, iPads and Apple Watches which is where Apple makes their real money.

In the same way that Apple didn’t give up on Macs and iPods when offering iTunes on Windows PC’s, there is still room for HomePod as the native Apple Music experience for those who want superior audio.

nawnp

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2017
Little rock, Ar
Well considering Airplay 2 speakers aren't all that popular and the HomePod is priced at a point where its competing with home theater systems (assuming you buy 2 for stero sound), Amazon or Google speakers are the most popular way to encourage the streaming of music services for $200 or less, and Apple knows they need to compete on these devices.

This was a factor behind me stop using Apple Music when it wasn't really compatible with my amazon Alexa speaker.

Reactions: zulkiflim

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Well, that's great. But from Apple's standpoint it's a move that will allow customers to just walk away off Apple ecosystem. And not losing anything by doing it.

I already love Music app on iOS and Android (instead of bloated iTunes). Add Google Assistant support for it and boom, you're able to enjoy AM at its fullest.

Next: iMessage app for my Windows 10 desktop
Really? You think people are only in Apple’s ecosystem because they absolutely must have Apple Music? Not like there’s Spotify or anything available on other platforms or anything.

No, it’s the other way around. People are on Apple Music because it’s the native music solution to their decision to own an iPhone.

Offering Apple Music everywhere where Spotify is available keeps people on Apple Music which in turn keeps them inside of the Apple ecosystem.

What this move does is make life very difficult for Spotify. Now an iPhone who might own a Google Home or an Amazon Echo doesn’t have to abandon Apple Music and sign up for Spotify because they had no Apple Music as a choice. Spotify is no longer the default, almost exclusive choice.

maxdefcon

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2007
Really? You think people are only in Apple’s ecosystem because they absolutely must have Apple Music? Not like there’s Spotify or anything available on other platforms or anything.

No, it’s the other way around. People are on Apple Music because it’s the native music solution to their decision to own an iPhone.

Offering Apple Music everywhere where Spotify is available keeps people on Apple Music which in turn keeps them inside of the Apple ecosystem.

What this move does is make life very difficult for Spotify. Now an iPhone who might own a Google Home or an Amazon Echo doesn’t have to abandon Apple Music and sign up for Spotify because they had no Apple Music as a choice. Spotify is no longer the default, almost exclusive choice.
This... exactly! I'm an iPhone user who chose to switch from Spotify years ago to Apple Music. Just to simplify my experience to one login since I'm already using the family feature within iOS. Spotify is a great service and recommend it all the time. I went in on the Google Home experience as I didn't need an expensive HomePod and skipped Amazon's ecosystem. Also... thanks MacRumors for the mention.

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
A little too late, myself and damn near everyone I know moved to Spotify, from Apple music or Google Play.
It’s not too late. It’s a subscription. People can change at any time. It’s easier now than ever to change to Apple Music and take your Spotify library and playlists with you. There are apps like SongShift that do all the work and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple build in a Spotify migration tool into Apple Music.

You just spelled out why Apple is doing this. Apple users had been forced to sign up for Spotify because they had no other choice when getting a Google Home or Amazon Echo, both very popular because of their low price. Now, they can stay on Apple Music which builds loyalty and keeps them in the Apple ecosystem where they’re buying iPhones and other Apple devices.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors 604
Oct 27, 2009
It’s not too late. It’s a subscription. People can change at any time. It’s easier now than ever to change to Apple Music and take your Spotify library and playlists with you. There are apps like SongShift that do all the work and I wouldn’t be surprised to see Apple build in a Spotify migration tool into Apple Music.

You just spelled out why Apple is doing this. Apple users had been forced to sign up for Spotify because they had no other choice when getting a Google Home or Amazon Echo, both very popular because of their low price. Now, they can stay on Apple Music which builds loyalty and keeps them in the Apple ecosystem where they’re buying iPhones and other Apple devices.
The problem is Spotify is so good and it's compatibility is unmatched.

If I was to switch to Apple Music based on compatibility on Google Home, then I would miss out on Spotify from my Echo, Echo dot, Samsung smartwatch, Smart TV, Xbox One X, and etc .... which Apple Music isn't compatible with. So that will never happen.

burgman

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2013

I disagree because Google and Amazon speakers have Bluetooth and the Amazon Apple Music skill isn’t that great. I assume the Google app will be just as bad.

ipedro

Suspended
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The problem is Spotify is so good and it's compatibility is unmatched.
I’m not sure how long (if ever) you used Apple Music but it’s crazy accurate at choosing music I’ll love. It didn’t even take that long to learn. I wake up and tell Siri on my HomePod to play music and 9/10 times, it plays music that I love, including stuff from artists I’ve never heard about. At night, when winding down, I’ll ask it to play music and it’ll play music appropriate for that time of day and again, from artists I know and new ones I don’t.

Last edited:

zulkiflim

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Singapore
Hmm..

If only Apple have a lossless option.

I dumped Apple Music 2 yrs ago due to bugs and A messy UI.

If a person REALLY love music, use Tidal or Qobuz and get a GOOD earphones... your ear will thank you for it!

Reactions: sunwukong

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011

I don't know how you went with that conclusion? Most people use AM because they are familiar and regularly use Apple devices, not the other way around? I decided to jump ship for Apple Music BECAUSE I already go deep down into Apple ecosystem for so long. I use iPhone iPad, Watch, ATV and HomePod. Since Spotify will never have deep integration with Siri, then it only make sense for me to switch. I can play and command for my music anywhere. That is so convenient.

AM is NOT about luring people into Apple's ecosystem, because those people already did. I see AM as a "gift" or perk for people who decided to stay with Apple. Now AM will be available for Google Home, and I assume, also Google Assistant? Then it will be easier for those people to reach out for Google devices, and enjoying AM a little better with voice command and everything. I might even able to play AM in my car with Android Auto?

OTOH, many Android users hate Apple for obvious reasons. Just because AM will be available on Google Home and Assistant does not mean they will switch to iPhone. They will just keep using Android forever and enjoy AM just like us. And when they're able to control it with voice, just like us, that's one major argument to just stay with Android and NOT switching.

Last edited: