Apple Music Launches New Classical Music Section Curated by Deutsche Grammophon, Including Full-Length Operas

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Ugh! This has been SO ANNOYING at times - being able to read the catalog number and the start of the name of the entire work, with no clue as to what movement each track is... it's laughably bad - hard to believe they would have released it this way if they had had any classical music used in testing. I recall playing Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker for my niece (at her request) and she wanted to hear particular dances, and... there was simply no way to tell which was which.
Apparently nobody at Apple listens to classical music. To be fair, they have finally made some improvements, both in the iOS Music app and in iTunes, as long as you've entered all of the necessary metadata (on iOS specifically, you need to make sure that the grouping – followed by a colon – is a prefix of each track name). But there are still inconsistencies between the Apple Music catalog and the local library view. It is also often needed to make some adjustments using iTunes after adding Apple Music tracks with imperfect or incomplete metadata to your library, which thankfully works the same way as it does for matched and uploaded music.
am.png

Reactions: actcyclist

SBlue1

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2008
A pity. When you get older and wiser, you will perhaps learn that we have a whole world of music going back many hundreds of years, even dating back to that mysterious time before you were born, and with music, as with wine and some other spirits, newer does not necessarily mean better.
[doublepost=1533930252][/doublepost]Apps that are built in to iOS do not have separate entries in the App Store. Where would you leave such comments/ratings?
https://www.apple.com/feedback/

Reactions: OddyOh

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Imagine the freedom of not listening to your cool equipment but just listening to the music, like many have for generations.
Not to mention that iOS (and certainly macOS) has supported external USB-DACs for ages now.

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Great. Now how about making the UI usable for classical music? Make long track names double lined, instead of the ..., which makes all tracks look the same.
This is the kind of attention to detail Apple generally nails. Wonder why they haven't gotten around to this, especially when they asked their PR team to make a big splash out of this.

4jasontv

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2011
A pity. When you get older and wiser, you will perhaps learn that we have a whole world of music going back many hundreds of years, even dating back to that mysterious time before you were born, and with music, as with wine and some other spirits, newer does not necessarily mean better.
[doublepost=1533930252][/doublepost]Apps that are built in to iOS do not have separate entries in the App Store. Where would you leave such comments/ratings?
I would leave it here, on the store entry page for Apple Music, which I have to go to download the app after one deletes it. As I had done to stop my car from auto playing when I charge my phone.

Attachments

Reactions: CarlJ

extrachrispy

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2009
Austin, Texas
Sorry my ignorance but what is exactly the opera? I only know oprah. It’s something related with old music?
Non-smart-aleck answer: "opera" is a genre. An opera is, essentially, a musical in which ALL of the dialogue is sung. There are modern operas (even rock operas, such as The Who's Tommy) and older operas, usually sung in one of the romance languages (French and Italian are the most common).

Traditionally, operas are performed in relatively small venues with good acoustics, without amplification. The singers must be able to project their voices sufficiently so that they can be heard, even in the cheap seats, without a microphone.

andrew12

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
This is what Wagner looks like on my iPhone.
You need to guess which track is what
Serves you right for having Wagner on your phone in the first place. What’s Track 225, what’s Track 231 when you sit on the Twilight :)

tubular

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
First things first: "Opera" is the Latin plural of "Opus." Therefore, "Opera" means "two or more talking penguins."

Secondly: yay. I've stayed out of Apple Music world largely because of their problems with classical and the presentation of classical works. So I may give it a look.

Third: the only reason I don't run straight to it is the fundamental problem with Apple and classical, which is the metadata issue. "Artist/Album/Song" is meaningless in the classical world, and for twenty years now I've been watching as everybody makes up their own system for doing classical metadata.

So my made-up system is:
  • artist -> Conductor: Orchestra
  • album -> Work
  • song -> Movement
  • composer -> Composer
So if you patiently edit your metadata from your rips, this is an effective way to organize your music via iTunes without getting the problem shown in the photo in the story, where redundant information is crowding out real information in the track names, and in this case you literally only get a single letter to distinguish the tracks.

And if you edit your metadata to this sysem, it works great until the instant you sign into Apple Music, and their metadata spits all over yours, and your system is destroyed until the moment you log out of Apple Music again.

audiophilosophy

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2017
New Orleans
I prefer to purchase songs from iTunes the old-fashioned way instead of an Apple Music subscription. Seems like Apple, both in the home page of the iTunes Store and Apple Music as well, puts a significant focus on new garbage hip hop. So this news is very welcome, even though I don't listen to classical. Believing the"human curated" hype, I did an Apple Music free trial when it first came out, and I was really disappointed.
[doublepost=1533962857][/doublepost]
This is the kind of attention to detail Apple generally nails. Wonder why they haven't gotten around to this, especially when they asked their PR team to make a big splash out of this.
Tim Cook doesn't do what Jobs did by personally testing products for even the subtle details that make a difference and then sending them back for revisions before they're released to the public.

Superhai

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
This is what Wagner looks like on my iPhone.
You need to guess which track is what
I rip my music myself from CD and edit the metadata myself, and the Music app have the possibility to do it better than in your example. I am sure new albums added by DGG should also be able to benefit. Still the now playing should split it at least in two lines.

IMG_2048DE9FC5E3-1.jpeg

Reactions: matrix07

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Specifically, one of the three visual albums is a staging of composer Charles-François Gounod's Roméo et Juliette, which was held at the 2008 Salzburg Music and Drama Festival. The visual album includes 32 tracks, which can be played all at once and runs for 2 hours and 33 minutes.
How do you find this album? A search for "Gounod" comes up with a couple of DG albums, none of with this title. Searching for "Gounod Rome and Juliet" only comes up with the (non-DG) Metropolitan Opera Version ...

Reactions: CarlJ

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Just spent the past 20 mins with a coffe (taking a break from housework) wandering around DGs curated playlists and connect posts. They’re serious about this AM partnership by the looks of things. I’ve added so many albums and playlists to my library for later listening and enjoyment. Can also see this costing me a few quid in the iTunes Store as so many DG albums include digital booklets. More than a little giddy and excited at the prospect of exploring all of this!

How do you find this album? A search for "Gounod" comes up with a couple of DG albums, none of with this title. Searching for "Gounod Rome and Juliet" only comes up with the (non-DG) Metropolitan Opera Version ...
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/gounod-roméo-et-juliette-live-at-felsenreitschule-salzburg/1423936878

It’s under video albums on DG’s curator page.