Apple Music Launches New Classical Music Section Curated by Deutsche Grammophon, Including Full-Length Operas

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
It’s under video albums on DG’s curator page.
Thanks. But how do you find that? A google search resulted in an article with a link:

https://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?app=music&path=music/dg

which is a totally different place than going to

iTunes/browse/genres/classical/curators which doesn't have a video section.

Once you find it, is there a way to play it on an Apple TV? Airplay from my Mac fails of course due as it isn't an HDMI connection. On the Apple TV I went through all of the various apps ending up in music/music videos but wasn't able to find it.

Obviously I'm unfamiliar with Apple Music as my preference is Tidal due to its superior audio. If Apple comes out with a pair of high end headphones I am hoping that it means that they are going to introduce high res music as well. That would solve a lot of problems such as Bayo's "il Barbiere di Siviglia" that won't even mount in either of my Blu-Ray drives so I can't rip it.

I first discovered her when watching a video of her with Freddie Mercury singing "Barcelona,"
Same thing here. I have two videos of them performing, the live concert in Barcelona for the 1992 Olympics and a studio performance. The live concert may be my favorite music video of all time. Two performers at the height of their powers, one a rock star, the other considered by some the greatest female soprano singer ever. The incredible harmony of the supporting singers, the outside venue in Barcelona; the fireworks. I have attended opera performances on 3 different continents but this is the performance that I will never forget. How I would have liked to have been there.

The recording of some duets by Caballé and Verrett is nifty
Awesome find. Just got the CD (used) from Amazon for ~$8.

pipis2010

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2015
Greece
Can't imagine listening to good Classical music through Apple's DACs and earphones. But to each their own.
This is the kind of attention to detail Apple generally nails. Wonder why they haven't gotten around to this, especially when they asked their PR team to make a big splash out of this.
It feels sometimes that Apple is rushing to introduce new features without much thought...
[doublepost=1534051846][/doublepost]
Non-smart-aleck answer: "opera" is a genre. An opera is, essentially, a musical in which ALL of the dialogue is sung. There are modern operas (even rock operas, such as The Who's Tommy) and older operas, usually sung in one of the romance languages (French and Italian are the most common).

Traditionally, operas are performed in relatively small venues with good acoustics, without amplification. The singers must be able to project their voices sufficiently so that they can be heard, even in the cheap seats, without a microphone.
It’s sad that even with the internet providing such a huge universe of knowledge, people still relly on asking others instead of searching themselves...

Reactions: extrachrispy

Brenster

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2008
Soprano Montserrat Caballe......any opera that you notice that she is in, have a listen. She's astonishing!
Yah I have to say I make an exception to my habit of not listening to parts of classical works when it comes to opera. I do have and like to listen to certain operas in their entirety, but I love collections of arias too.

The recording of some duets by Caballé and Verrett is nifty. iTunes has it (and is available on AM).

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/great-operatic-duets/477953281

Bah! That album isn't available on Apple Music UK. There is an AM Essential playlist for Caballé though, will start there and work my way out. Appreciate the tip none the less though.

Thanks. But how do you find that? A google search resulted in an article with a link:

https://search.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZContentLink.woa/wa/link?app=music&path=music/dg

Once you find it, is there a way to play it on an Apple TV? Airplay from my Mac fails of course due as it isn't an HDMI connection. On the Apple TV I went through all of the various apps ending up in music/music videos but wasn't able to find it.
Having trouble finding it on Apple TV myself. It's not under Deutsche Grammophon as a curator, nor under videos when going to Browse > Classical. Hopefully the DG curators page will evolve a bit as time goes by. The best I can think of to find the Video Albums themselves in AM on an iOS device, then use the Add button on each to add them to your iCloud Music Library.

Doing this and I could then find the video album under Recently Added in the Music app on Apple TV.

Could do with being a little simpler and more elegant on ATV though.

In terms of finding the opera video albums themselves on my iphone/ipad:

Browse > Genre > Classical >Deutsche Grammophon on the first carousel as 'featured label' > scroll to the bottom of the page to find the three Video Albums.

I've also added DG to Connect, which might be the first useful thing I've found that Connect might do.

Reactions: matrix07 and HDFan

Mr. 123

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2016
First things first: "Opera" is the Latin plural of "Opus." Therefore, "Opera" means "two or more talking penguins."

Secondly: yay. I've stayed out of Apple Music world largely because of their problems with classical and the presentation of classical works. So I may give it a look.

Third: the only reason I don't run straight to it is the fundamental problem with Apple and classical, which is the metadata issue. "Artist/Album/Song" is meaningless in the classical world, and for twenty years now I've been watching as everybody makes up their own system for doing classical metadata.

So my made-up system is:
  • artist -> Conductor: Orchestra
  • album -> Work
  • song -> Movement
  • composer -> Composer
So if you patiently edit your metadata from your rips, this is an effective way to organize your music via iTunes without getting the problem shown in the photo in the story, where redundant information is crowding out real information in the track names, and in this case you literally only get a single letter to distinguish the tracks.

And if you edit your metadata to this sysem, it works great until the instant you sign into Apple Music, and their metadata spits all over yours, and your system is destroyed until the moment you log out of Apple Music again.
I do this as well with classical music. I also put the last name of the composer as album artist. I wish albums were sold like this on the iTunes Store (I don’t like streaming services).
[doublepost=1534065451][/doublepost]
I rip my music myself from CD and edit the metadata myself, and the Music app have the possibility to do it better than in your example. I am sure new albums added by DGG should also be able to benefit. Still the now playing should split it at least in two lines.

View attachment 775350
How did you manage to group the different concertos with titles over the tracks?

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
then use the Add button on each to add them to your iCloud Music Library.
Thanks to your help I can now find the videos on my iMac. Unfortunately I can't add to a playlist as that requires iCloud Music Library which I don't use it due to the lossy audio.

So it looks as if there is no way to play it on the Apple TV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brenster

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I still think apple music has a long way to go in terms of ui. While its ui has trickled over to podcasts and books, i feel as if its in dire need of a rethink.

Clix Pix

macrumors demi-goddess

Obviously I'm unfamiliar with Apple Music as my preference is Tidal due to its superior audio. If Apple comes out with a pair of high end headphones I am hoping that it means that they are going to introduce high res music as well. That would solve a lot of problems such as Bayo's "il Barbiere di Siviglia" that won't even mount in either of my Blu-Ray drives so I can't rip it.

Same thing here. I have two videos of them performing, the live concert in Barcelona for the 1992 Olympics and a studio performance. The live concert may be my favorite music video of all time. Two performers at the height of their powers, one a rock star, the other considered by some the greatest female soprano singer ever. The incredible harmony of the supporting singers, the outside venue in Barcelona; the fireworks. I have attended opera performances on 3 different continents but this is the performance that I will never forget. How I would have liked to have been there.

Awesome find. Just got the CD (used) from Amazon for ~$8.
Good to see some fellow Caballe fans here! :)

AriaScribe

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2018
Great. Now how about making the UI usable for classical music? Make long track names double lined, instead of the ..., which makes all tracks look the same.
This is one of the reasons why I created The Opera Player (see it on the App store). My app shows the track listing so that they are actually useful.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2007
What a wonderful resource this is! Thank you, Apple, for making this available to us.

I’ll offer a different experience, as the way I listen to music is different from yours. I’ve been living a somewhat nomadic lifestyle—home, classrooms, studio and places in between—and at the same time, I’m intentionally paring down my physical possessions. If I waited for “good equipment” to listen to music, I’d never listen.

Instead, I find that my memory and my imagination are more than enough to make up for any deficiencies in my equipment. With just a pair of AirPods, I can enter into the music and it can be as expansive or as intimate as necessary.

I’m just so grateful that with Apple Music I have access to anything I want to hear, any time and anywhere.
Yep, some people strive for the best possible, some just strive to get by with minimal (effort, gear, etc.). Not a judgement, not saying one is better than the other, just a fact of life. Apple gear is designed for those that are NOT expecting the best experience possible, yet don't mind paying for it. Just sayin'.

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Yep, some people strive for the best possible, some just strive to get by with minimal (effort, gear, etc.). Not a judgement, not saying one is better than the other, just a fact of life. Apple gear is designed for those that are NOT expecting the best experience possible, yet don't mind paying for it. Just sayin'.
LOL I wouldn't like to read some post of yours that you do consider judgmental. Just sayin'.

Leaving aside matters of physical gear, I've found Apple Music invaluable for letting me preview works in their entirety before I purchase them in CD form to rip lossless or play in a rack system.

There is no possible way to select a preferred classical performance of lengthy works using only something like 90-second track previews. So the AM experience of being able to download several performances of a work (or a group of works, say the Brahms Op. 10 Ballades) has been so helpful to me.

I might keep downloads of a group of works played by different artists for months and listen to them frequently in different ways - track to track comparisons, or straight through... before making up my mind which to purchase. I'll leave them unnamed here, but before Apple Music came along, I had occasionally purchased works I found out later on I did not much care for, simply over not having been able to hear them completely first. That doesn't happen now!

arkitect

macrumors 603
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
If you use Apple Music then this is very good news.

Myself I'm in the Spotify camp and they have always served us well with opera.

Just curious, has Apple never offered complete opera performances?

Anyway, if it does bring this wonderful genre to a wider audience I'm very happy. :)
[doublepost=1534102494][/doublepost]
I might keep downloads of a group of works played by different artists for months and listen to them frequently in different ways - track to track comparisons, or straight through... before making up my mind
For me there is just never one definitive performance… humm… Exception to that of course is Callas's 1953 Tosca.
Ne plus ultra right there. :)

LizKat

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Complete audio performances yes, but visual presentations of opera are new.

Apple Music has added a new visual album, and it's one classical music fans would love. Cupertino has teamed up with Deutsche Grammophon, one of the biggest classical music labels, to launch a curated channel that highlights the company's best recordings. One of the portal's first offerings is the 2008 Salzburg Festival staging of Gounod's Roméo et Juliette featuring star tenor Rolando Villazón -- and, yes, the service is making the full-length performance available as a 32-track visual album. You can watch them all at once or just choose parts to play if you can only stomach specific arias. Apple Music has other visual albums you can stream, most notably, Frank Ocean's Endless, but this is the first time the platform is offering a full-length opera in the format.

Reactions: CarlJ and arkitect

Solomani

macrumors 68040
Sep 25, 2012
Alberto, Canado
If you use Apple Music then this is very good news.

Well, opera CDs (for purchase/download) have been available for iTunes since….. iTunes existed. As for availability in Apple Music streaming, not so sure.

Reactions: arkitect

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
I've found Apple Music invaluable for letting me preview works in their entirety before I purchase them in CD form to rip lossless or play in a rack system.

There is no possible way to select a preferred classical performance of lengthy works using only something like 90-second track previews. So the AM experience of being able to download several performances of a work (or a group of works, say the Brahms Op. 10 Ballades) has been so helpful to me.

I might keep downloads of a group of works played by different artists for months and listen to them frequently in different ways - track to track comparisons, or straight through... before making up my mind which to purchase. I'll leave them unnamed here, but before Apple Music came along, I had occasionally purchased works I found out later on I did not much care for, simply over not having been able to hear them completely first. That doesn't happen now!
That is a great way to build classical music collection.
[doublepost=1534125452][/doublepost]

Audio yes, visual presentation not until now.
Yeah.. not sure why somebody will think Spotify would be any different than Apple Music. Both will have as many catalogues as they can, opera or not.
And in the case of Apple Music any album that they don’t have you can simply upload it to iCloud Library yourself. Spotify?.. tough luck.

For me there is just never one definitive performance… humm… Exception to that of course is Callas's 1953 Tosca.
Ne plus ultra right there. :)
Do you mean this one?
I have never listened to it..

Attachments

Last edited:

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
About time we got some classical support on AM. I would like there to be a switch to classical-only so it would stop suggesting I listen to all sorts of completely unrelated hip-hop. Even clicking on "dislike" the thing never gets the message...

Reactions: Brenster

Morgenland

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2009
Europe
A very pleasant move. Thank you, :apple:!
Deutsche Grammophon (DG) is unchallenged in Europe as one of the most committed music labels, with a highly educated art connoisseurship for decades.

"The DG Playlist (that's the channel's name) also features a bunch of other performance videos, audio albums and three radio stations dedicated to playing Beethoven, Mozart and Bach exclusively. Deutsche Grammophon describes the portal as a "regularly updated" experience, so we'll likely see and hear more of its artists' recordings in the future. As a prominent classical music label, it works with some of the biggest names in the genre, including Plácido Domingo, Anna Netrebko and the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, among many, many others. Considering how hard it is to find full-length opera performances outside classical music-specific streaming services, we hope Apple Music uploads more as visual albums in the future" (engadget)

Suspended
Aug 29, 2015
It feels sometimes that Apple is rushing to introduce new features without much thought...
[doublepost=1534051846][/doublepost]

It’s sad that even with the internet providing such a huge universe of knowledge, people still relly on asking others instead of searching themselves...
It is even more sad some people are not taught st school, what opera is

Superhai

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2010
How did you manage to group the different concertos with titles over the tracks?
You put the work name in the work metadata field. And then each movement in the movement field. You find it in iTunes under Details. When there are two or more tracks sequentially the work name comes over the tracks if they are identical, and the tracks is shown with only their movement name and numbering.
It is a great feature of iTunes and the Music app, however the weakness is that it requires at least two movement-tracks, and looks awkward when you have excerpts with only one movement or other "singles" in an "album".