Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As part of the suite of features in iOS and iPadOS 14.5, Apple has rolled out a brand new set of Apple Music playlists that lists the top 25 songs in more than 100 cities around the world.

apple-music-city-playlists.jpg

Reported by Billboard, the new collection of playlists ranks the top 25 most trending and hottest songs for over 100 cities around the world. The new collection can be found within the Browse section of the Apple Music app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac. Non-Apple Music subscribers can also browse the playlists using Apple Music on the web.

Apple says the playlists are updated daily with songs "making the waves" in cities worldwide. There are over 100 cities currently part of the collection, and Apple could add more with time. Courtesy of iMore's Stephen Warwick, the full list of cities currently part of the collection can be found below:

• New York City
  • LA
  • Atlanta
  • Nashville
  • Miami
  • Chicago
  • Houston
  • San Juan
  • San Francisco
  • Seattle
  • Washington D.C.
  • Austin
  • Accra
  • Almaty
  • Auckland
  • Bangkok
  • Barcelona
  • Beijing
  • Bengaluru
  • Berlin
  • Birmingham (UK)
  • Bogotá
  • Bordeaux
  • Brisbane
  • Budapest
  • Buenos Aires
  • Busan
  • Calgary
  • Cape Town
  • Cologne
  • Copenhagen
  • Dallas
  • Delhi
  • Denver
  • Detroit
  • Dubai
  • Dublin
  • Durban
  • Edmonton
  • Frankfurt
  • Fukuoka
  • Glasgow
  • Guadalajara
  • Guangzhou
  • Guatemala City
  • Hamburg
  • Honolulu
  • Istanbul
  • Jakarta
  • Johannesburg
  • Kyiv
  • Kuala Lumpur
  • Lagos
  • Lima
  • Liverpool
  • London
  • Lyon
  • Madrid
  • Manchester
  • Manila
  • Marseille
  • Medellín
  • Melbourne
  • Mexico City
  • Milan
  • Monterrey
  • Montréal
  • Moscow
  • Munich
  • Nagoya
  • Naha
  • Nairobi
  • Naples
  • Osaka
  • Ottawa
  • Paris
  • Philadelphia
  • Phoenix
  • Prague
  • Québec City
  • Rio de Janeiro
  • Riyadh
  • Rome
  • Saint Petersburg
  • San Diego
  • San José
  • Santiago
  • Santo Domingo
  • Sao Paulo
  • Sapporo
  • Sendai
  • Seoul
  • Shanghai
  • Sydney
  • Taipei
  • Tel Aviv
  • Tokyo
  • Toronto
  • Vancouver
  • Vienna
  • Warsaw
  • Winnipeg
  • Zurich

Article Link: Apple Music Launches Top 25 Song Playlists for Over 100 Cities

Reactions: DeepIn2U

edolecki

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2009
Boston, MA
I love this feature.

It might be nice to add a city-specific search while browsing all of them as the list is long and will get longer over time. I'm guessing Apple is creating their own charts somehow - using their own play data mixed with local charting. I love listening to Warsaw, then bump over to Nairobi, etc.

obamtl

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
Oops, the “Top 25 Lagos” is for a small town in Portugal with 22,000 people, rather than the city of Lagos in Nigeria with 20 million people. 😂

rmoliv

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2017
Oops, the “Top 25 Lagos” is for a small town in Portugal with 22,000 people, rather than the city of Lagos in Nigeria with 20 million people. 😂
That's to make up for not having included Lisbon...

Corsig

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2008
This is actually something I'm very interested in. Always liked looking at the charts

nawr

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2018
Finland
For once I'm glad Helsinki's not there so I don't have to feel ashamed for my fellow citizens' taste in music.

Marbles1

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
It's interesting how global popular music has become - so many of the cities have the same artists in their top 25.

Thank god for curated playlists.

Would love apple to produce a 'John Peel' style show on apple music that exposes diverse genres and new songs; rather than the apple hat trick of 'pop', country and hip hop.

Reactions: Chai87

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
Why would I care what other people are listening to my city? Surely this should be by music genre rather than location.

obamtl

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2010
That's to make up for not having included Lisbon...
😂 They leave out Portugal’s largest city, and Nigeria’s largest city, only to make it up to Portugal with a Top 25 for a small town of 20,000 in Portugal that shares a name with one of the most populous cities in the world (Lagos).

I think someone in Apple’s Music division needs a lesson in Geography! 😂

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.