Apple Music Now Has 60 Million Paid Subscribers

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple Music has 60 million paid subscribers, according to iTunes chief Eddy Cue. Cue confirmed the new subscriber number with French site Numerama earlier today, and Music Business Worldwide shared details on the report.

Cue said that he's happy with Apple Music's subscriber count, and that the company is continually working on perfecting the platform across various devices. He also said that Beats 1, Apple's radio station, has "tens of millions of listeners."

Cue declined to divulge how many subscribers are outside of the Apple ecosystem. "I know the number, but I can't tell you," said Cue. He did, however, tell Numerama that Apple Music is the number one service used by people in the Apple ecosystem.

On the topic of the elimination of iTunes in favor of standalone TV, Music, and Podcast apps, Cue said that he's fond of iTunes, but "Apple Music is absolutely the best in all respects. We have something better now and it's useless to look back."

Apple Music's new 60 million subscriber milestone comes following a November report suggesting the service was up to 56 million subscribers. 60 million paid subscribers still puts Apple Music below Spotify, which had 100 million premium (aka paid) subscribers worldwide as of April.

Despite the difference in paid subscriber counts, Apple Music in early 2019 surpassed Spotify's paid subscriber total in the United States. Apple Music has somewhere around 28 million U.S. subscribers, compared to Spotify's 26 million.

Article Link: Apple Music Now Has 60 Million Paid Subscribers

itsmilo

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2016
Europe
Can’t use it for such shallow reasons as the pinkish font on a white background being totally off putting alone

Akrapovic

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2018
Scotland
I've returned to Apple Music and I have to say it is improving. It's been a slow burner, like Apple Maps, but it is getting there.

I now prefer the interface over Spotify. It feels more Apple-like to move about (for obvious reasons), and the Watch integration is much better. Spotify still has much better recommendation playlists and algorithms, but Apple Music is getting there.

gowhitestripes

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
That $3B acquisition of Beats is now looking like a bargain huh?

$600M per year in recurring revenue in the music streaming business and Beats’ hardware division is worth $1B on its own.
As someone who has followed Apple almost daily for 12+ years, I felt the Beats purchase was cheap on the day it was announced. As you know Apple makes massive profit on their hardware sales and this was a no-brainer area for them to venture further into. As long as they created great products the sale is easy to pitch to their existing customer base and the name BEATS is great too. "Apple Beats" works well.

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
That $3B acquisition of Beats is now looking like a bargain huh?

$600M per year in recurring revenue in the music streaming business and Beats’ hardware division is worth $1B on its own.
Where did you get the $1B for Beats hardware valuation? Did not think it was a publicly disclosed number. Unless you work for an IB or something, it would be hard to collect enough data to run a valuation

Reactions: Agit21

MauiPa

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2018
Can’t use it for such shallow reasons as the pinkish font on a white background being totally off putting alone
I have truly never seen that. Black font on white background, white font on black in dark mode. So maybe it is a shallow reason
[doublepost=1561661886][/doublepost]
I'll stick with Spotify.
tried Spotify, back to Apple Music for me. I guess that explains why competition is better, serves diverse tastes.

SteveW928

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2010
Victoria, B.C. Canada
Well, they are about to lose one (family) membership, too.

I had hoped Apple Music would put back the functionality we used to have with library/family sharing in iTunes (ie: where we could share out local library with various iDevices). However, it doesn't really work like that, only 'matching' (same for iTunes Match from what I understand) stuff that is common between my library and Apple's library.

I don't really care much about the streaming aspect... I'll add what I want to our library, either with physical media or buying tracks/albums as needed. And, it will save some cash each month.

I'm just bummed Apple never put back the functionality they removed from years ago. So, I'm experimenting with just moving everything to Plex.

Great news to all of us that don't care about music streaming.
More people on streaming = prices drop on old physical formats.
Heh, didn't not notice if that is the case or not. But, sounds good.

zorinlynx

macrumors 603
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I've returned to Apple Music and I have to say it is improving. It's been a slow burner, like Apple Maps, but it is getting there.

I now prefer the interface over Spotify. It feels more Apple-like to move about (for obvious reasons), and the Watch integration is much better. Spotify still has much better recommendation playlists and algorithms, but Apple Music is getting there.
How's radio?

90% of the time I'm listening to music, I'm listening to radio. I like well-curated stations that play good music and don't veer off into weirdsville after a while. Spotify and Pandora both do this; you're listening to classic rock and enjoying it and suddenly hip hop.

Reactions: lostczech

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
As someone who has followed Apple almost daily for 12+ years, I felt the Beats purchase was cheap on the day it was announced. As you know Apple makes massive profit on their hardware sales and this was a no-brainer area for them to venture further into. As long as they created great products the sale is easy to pitch to their existing customer base and the name BEATS is great too. "Apple Beats" works well.
Anybody that wasn't in a coma knew it was a good deal. The other 90% were too busy dissing DRE. This is the sort of news that warms the cockles of my shareholder heart.