Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phonohead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 9, 2019
I’ve uploaded/synced my music collection (29 GB) on to my iPhone. However, when trying to play some of the songs I’m prompted to “choose my subscription” - as if I need Apple Music to listen to my own, legally obtained, music.

For instance: Track 1 on David Bowie’s Blackstar requires a subscription, track 2 and onwards are playable.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

PS. This is not the case if the songs are played from my MacBook Pro.

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
I have never and will never use iTunes/Music.

I want to have control of my music. I tried many apps which were all clunky and looked liked similar organization for music tools like Music. Then I stumbled upon foobar2000 for iOS! Works like a charm, I copied all my MP3s to it and I just hit SHUFFLE and it plays them all in random order.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
I’ve uploaded/synced my music collection (29 GB) on to my iPhone. However, when trying to play some of the songs I’m prompted to “choose my subscription” - as if I need Apple Music to listen to my own, legally obtained, music.

For instance: Track 1 on David Bowie’s Blackstar requires a subscription, track 2 and onwards are playable.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

PS. This is not the case if the songs are played from my MacBook Pro.

I am hoping, I am really hoping that this is some kind of bug or oversight, and not how they intend things to be.

You cannot lock me out of my purchased songs, that I have PURCHASED, which means I PAID for individual songs to listen to to as much as I want, wherever I want.

My PURCHASED songs have nothing to do with you subscription, Apple!

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
My phone has a mix of synced stuff and apple music stuff and this isnt happening on my phone. Not sure whats causing it on yours but it seems to be a bug or account issue of some sort.

COMTB

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2019
Colorado
Ahh this is reminiscent of the whole mytunes and apple adding drm liscensing to songs I physically added to itunes from cds etc back in the day. That debacle pissed me off enough to never use any apple products for music again. Most I do is play pandora or music from another provider. Apple will never touch my music library again.

I also don’t use iTunes to manage my iPad, it’s never been connected to a computer and I don’t have iTunes installed anywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.