Apple Music Revamp in iOS 10 Introduces Colorful Design and Simpler Interface

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 13, 2016.

1. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

That big bold font has got to go! It reminds me of Windows Phone OS.

2. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

My big question is, does Apple Music still prefer its metadata to yours? If so, once again, no deal, come back when your approach isn't broken.

3. Zanton68 macrumors member

I want the iPod classic back I just want a music app where I can simply search through MY music and listen to my music. I don't want to share what I'm listening to with anyone or "follow" the artist, just find what I want and listen to it. It looks like the iOS Music app is not going to be the means for doing this anymore Time to start looking for a different app or device for music.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 13, 2016 ---
    Has Jony Ive left??? He can't have approved this

4. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Shame to see that Apple Music and iTunes Store didn't merge... This ought to happen....

5. John.B, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  6. thiagueirass macrumors member

I'd really want a player and a search engine faster.

7. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

This was so not needed. How did this impact developers? Was this life changing in anyway?
    Do you guys remember a rumor about getting rid of Apple Music? Yeah... Is that what is gonna happen in next wwdc?
    Eddie "we trash Apple Music.... That's our new feature."

8. John.B macrumors 601

John.B

You might be the only person on Earth hoping for that...

9. 040 macrumors newbie

Can we just take a moment and revisit the pre-iOS 7 times when the Music app was actually nearly perfect in terms of design, navigation, and that it just got the job done? Especially if you OWN your own music and have no interest in streaming from a radio station and what not. Sure, some nice features like a 'Play next' option weren't there yet, but I'd take this fast and smooth iOS 6 music player over what they're offering now any day. In fact, iOS 6 is still my daily driver and every time Apple tinkers with the Music app (by adding streaming services and moving the emphasis away from offline music availability), i'm so glad it still is. for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. johngordon macrumors 68000

I know its always the way that people don't like change, and there can be often be what sees like criticism for the sake of criticism's sake. But I having said all of that and with the caveat that of course its subjective, but I really don't think I'm going to warm to this in a hurry.

I might be in the minority but I really didn't get all the fuss about how people couldn't use / navigate the iOS9 version - it seemed fine to me after a short time figuring out what was what.

This version just seems almost like they thought "Right you morons - you want it simple? We'll give you simple!". The big bold type completely jars with the rest of the OS, although I appreciate its subjective, and I definitely have a preference for smaller lighter text. But this is ridiculous - I'm running it on an iPhone here, and you have things like the screen for an album, with a thumbnail of the album art at the top left, with the artist and album title next to that. But because the test is so big, even with fairly short artist and album names, you only get the first 10-15 characters over three rows - two for the album, one for the artist. So a lot of things like:

What We
    Saw From T....
    Regina Spe...

There seem to be fewer options now - for individual tracks there is now only the download icon. No ... to bring up options to play next, add to up next etc. As far as I can tell, if you want to add a single track to a playlist you currently tap on the ... in for the album, and then delete all the tracks from a list you don't want to add.

I really hope they've stripped this back to basics for this first beta, and will reintroduce and refine it in subsequent betas.

11. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

12. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

What the heck is that big bold font at the top, Windows 95?
    The glass translucent panel in the now playing is so annoying, distracting and amateur UI.

On a positive note the new "Library" section looks promising, it addresses some of the main issues of the previous Apple music, but we'll have to see the rest of it.

13. bilibug macrumors regular

bilibug

Struggled to add songs to a playlist. Even though I clicked the command, they didn't get added. I tried to copy my playlist, only about 1/2 the songs were in the new one. This seems very broken.

Hate the huge font. Most track names are cut off. Still hate the pink/red color. Would have welcomed B/W.

No track lengths????

Not liking this.

14. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I don't use Siri and I sync my music from my computer. I just want something that will use my smart playlists and sync play counts. Maybe I can use iSyncr with my iPhone or just get an Android to play my music from iTunes. Ugh.

15. btrach144 macrumors 68000

btrach144

I liked the presentation, it was lively. My issue is that Apple Music still looks like crap. I'll hold my final opinion till I get my hands on it but it just simply looks like crap. I'm amazed Eddy still has a job.

16. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

For those interested here is what the music related stuff looks like.

17. bilibug macrumors regular

bilibug

Uh. Apple Music Match still hoses your album artwork.

I am also noticing that the volume dialog does not show intermittently when pressing the side buttons.

18. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues

Why is everything so.......BIG??? Do you have your system font turned up or is it really that large now??

19. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Bloody Apple - looks like they made no improvements to local music handling :/

20. trifid macrumors 68000

trifid

I feel the same way about iTunes 11, it was much easier and predictable than what came after. Apple is fixing stuff that isn't broken and making it considerably worse.

21. thiagueirass macrumors member

How about the perfomance?

22. rockosmodurnlif macrumors 65816

rockosmodurnlif

Anybody have a screenshot of what app looks like if you're not subscribed to Apple Music?

23. Ian Howlett macrumors newbie

Ian Howlett

The current Apple Music app is very hard to use, so I hope this an improvement. Surely it can't be any worse... can it?

24. m4rc macrumors 6502

I subscribe to both, and I think Spotify is boring and very unfriendly. I often don't know which section I'm in, if I ask to see my playlists it chooses which it shows me rather than all my playlists. Ultimately all Spotify has for an interface is lighter text on a darker background, nothing of any merit. I'm also finding it more and more sluggish. Getting from one section to another or searching often takes long enough to make me quit the app and reload it.

Spotify gets too much credit, the one thing it does have is the catalogue. If Apple could get the stuff they are missing I could cancel my Spotify account.

25. stoopkidblues macrumors 6502

stoopkidblues