Apple Music Subscription Prices Slashed in India

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has cut the price of all Apple Music plans in India, in a move apparently aimed at fending off rival streaming services like Spotify and YouTube Music, both of which recently launched in the country within the last month.

[​IMG]

Apple Music is now being offered for Rs 99 ($1.43) a month, down from the earlier price of Rs 120 ($1.73).

Likewise, a student membership now costs Rs 49 instead of Rs 60, while a family plan has dropped from Rs 190 to Rs 149. Yearly subscriptions meanwhile cost Rs 999 rather than the earlier price of Rs 1,200.

The new price of an Apple Music membership undercuts both Spotify and YouTube Music, whose monthly premium plans start at Rs 119 and Rs 129, respectively.

India is seen as an untapped market for streaming music services, with a population of 1.3 billion people many of whom are only just becoming active internet users.

Home to a thriving and varied multi-lingual music scene, the country already has several local streaming services like JioSaavn and Gaana, but with the big international players making their debut in the country, competition appears to be hotting up.

(Via The Indian Express.)

Article Link: Apple Music Subscription Prices Slashed in India

2. KooL BeAnZ macrumors regular

Apple really wants that Asian Market!

But that price is incredible!

3. miniroll32 macrumors 65816

miniroll32

Keep slashing, keep slashing... (*cough iPhone cough*)

4. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

I totally understand that the cost of living in India is much lower, along with earnings but I’ve never understood how a product or service can vary in price so much between countries (tax excepted.)

Are Apple making a profit at this price? If so, are Western European and American customers being ripped off?

If Apple are losing money at this price, are we essentially subsidising residents of poorer countries Apple Music subscriptions?

I make no judgements either way but I’m curious as to how it works.

5. Fidgetyrat macrumors 6502

If they offer it that cheap, that’s what it’s worth or we are subsidizing it like the pharmaceutical industry.

Apple is extremely profitable because their exorbitant prices allow it.

6. Bin Cook macrumors 6502

Yes.

7. squizzler macrumors regular

squizzler

Ripped off? No.

No one is holding a gun to your head and tells you to buy the service. Don’t like the price? Walk away.

8. vicviper789 macrumors regular

9. mikefj2004 macrumors member

Nothing like some good old “hotting” up competition.

10. Marzel macrumors regular

It’s interesting because I thought loyalties are being paid based on the number of times a song is played but I guess Apple (and other streaming service providers) is paying a different amount based on country. It appears that both technology companies and labels have agreed that markets such as India’s are just too big even if they only make a few dollars out of each person.

11. EightyTwenty macrumors 6502a

12. telegix macrumors member

I wonder if there is here more then meets the eye.. Don't forget, the recording labels would be charging diff royalties based on the country....

Building an iPhone for cheaper is not as simple as reducing royalty payments/levels...

13. coocooforcocoap macrumors 6502

coocooforcocoap

How can this be possible?!? Why am I paying full price, and I live in Nepal. That's gotta be more than $14 USD per month, right? Whaaa?!?

14. deeddawg, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

deeddawg macrumors 604

Music royalty and licensing costs also vary dramatically between countries. Although I can't quantify the differences, I suspect that is driving much of the absolute price differential.

Look at the costs for buying music via sites such as Megaboon.com which operate under non-US royalty agreements and have sold mp3s for significantly lower prices for years.

I'd suggest that if any organization is subsidizing music in developing countries, it is the music industry itself. That's not to say Apple isn't also doing so -- they are very much all about charging what people are willing to pay. Cost-of-goods-sold only comes into play in terms of whether they feel they'd make a profit at the price people are willing to pay.

Again, just speculation -- but music costs are generally a bunch lower outside the "west"

15. ColdShadow, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

They are aiming for the Indian market specifically not the whole Asian market.

they can’t win western market and rest of Asia as competition is very strong in both hardware and services section.Samsung and Huawei are winning /already won the hardware and likes of Spotify and Google,etc winning the software side.

But India is different,many f there STILL look at iPhones (and thus it’s services as status symbol and luxury).

Also Apple really wants to move iPhone assembly line from China to India to save production costs even further and maximise margins.this way they can also influence Indian market more.

16. caspersoong macrumors 6502a

A lot of analysts think that Apple only gets 10-15% margin on Apple Music. In this case, I would hazard a guess that Apple is losing money, but their costs are also lower because many songs are not available in India.

17. Mushfiq7 macrumors newbie

There are just alot of people in India man, Apple definitely makes profits

18. matt_and_187_like_this macrumors member

2 main reasons come to mind:

- Avoid competitors claiming that market (could be a huge market in the future)
    - Internet services have high fixed costs and low variable costs. Therefore charging prices people in India can afford is "free money".

19. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

I'm sorry, but am I living in a separate reality where the word "SLASHED" means something else?

"Apple Music is now being offered for Rs 99 ($1.43) a month, down from the earlier price of Rs 120 ($1.73)"

So from $1.73 down to $1.43 is classed as a price SLASH now is it?

If I went into ANY store, which had a sign saying "PRICES SLASHED" on the windows, if I'm honest, I'd expect more of a drop in price difference than that.

20. pratikindia macrumors 6502

pratikindia

Apple is trying to own Indian market. As iTunes Music Store, Apple Books and Movies are banned in China and nobody cares about Apple Music in China, Apple need huge Indian market.

21. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

May I please make one comment on your above statement I feel is not correct in my honest option?

I do not believe, and I can't imagine anyone else would that Apple NEEDS the huge Indian music market.
    If you said Apple WANTS the huge Indian market, then I would of course agree.

That would be like me, having $10,000,000 and saying I NEED another million. No I don't need it, but because I may be greedy, I could still WANT it.

22. apolloa macrumors G4

Excellent, so in effect Apple you are making the rest of us fully subsidise the Indian market through inflated prices!

Awesome...

If your chosen market has such low wages you’ve almost got to give services away to gain market share, you really should be questioning the potential growth if any there is in that market!

23. SBlue1 macrumors 65816

SBlue1

The local production costs are so low. Local music stores have low wages and low rents, just like the local record labels and local recording studios. Local artist have much lower cost of living as well so they don't mind selling an album for way less in India then the same album in the rest of the world. However non local artist and record labels have to lower the price to be able so sell to the local market. They used to offset some cost by pressing the records and CDs in India and running businesses by cheaper local subsidiarys of their record labels. But the artists made way less and some didn't bother to sell records in those markets.

24. Jakewilk macrumors regular

The music selection available in india is likely very different than ours. It’s probably flooded with artists and labels who are willing to sell their music for much less.

Also they may be undercutting the profit margin significantly in order to attract more customers to their hardware. ¢30 less per month is nothing compared to the price of an iphone

25. dude-x macrumors regular

Average salary in the whole of India is about 200 USD per month, so about 7 dollars a day. They can't charge comparable prices to the US or else only the rich would bother.