Apple Music Subscription Prices Slashed in India

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2019.

1. himanshumodi macrumors 6502

himanshumodi

Well, audible.com which in US is a 15 USD per month price has an audible.in service at 2.1 USD.

I still choose to pay audible.com prices in India, simply because it's catalog is far larger than the indian section of audible, with far more reviews. But that's how subscriptions will work in India. Hope to get butt load of subscribers.

Netflix, interestingly, has an at-par USD pricing almost 10$ equivalent per month.

The hardware though, becomes significantly more expensive because of the import duties.

2. KrispE00 macrumors regular

Being ripped off is not a life or death situation. No one has to force you to buy something to be ripped off.
    On a side note, things are only worth the price that people are willing to pay.

3. himanshumodi macrumors 6502

himanshumodi

In fact, the trouble is that Apple Music's local collection is actually one of the worst, especially in terms of old songs from back in the 1950 to 1980 range.... an era which a lot of older money-wielding Indians are fond of listening.

Apple Music's marketshare is terrible in India, even among iPhone users. And for once, it's not due to price. The local players have a far better Indian music catalog, without any major compromises on international music.

4. lunarworks macrumors 68000

Considering a family plan, for six people, costs less than half of what one new release CD cost 20 years ago, no, we're not being ripped-off in the west.

People have to get paid. (How that pay is divided up and distributed is, however, another matter.)

5. deeddawg macrumors 604

It's a 17% price drop, so while "slashed" is perhaps a bit of hyperbole, it's pretty significant when you consider the average income in India is around US$1800 per year, or approx 3% of the US average income of US$58,270. Especially when you remember that "average income" tends to be skewed by the top earners and the actual income of majority will be lower.

So yeah a price reduction of US$0.30 seems paltry to you and I, if we scale according to the average income figures it's be like our seeing a nearly $10/month price reduction.

6. az431 macrumors 65816

az431

It's not incredible at all. Apple doesn't buy music in the US and resell it in India. India is a different country with different music, and royalties are not the same as in the US or other countries. For some reason, people assume that turning on Spotify and Apple Music in India is the same as anywhere else.

--- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2019 ---
    Umm no. See above.
    Converting the cost of things across countries to a dollar-equivalent ignores the reality of local economies, and is therefore absolutely pointless. People earn less, but things that are locally sourced also cost less.

7. Ramchi macrumors 6502a

Ramchi

No, it is not like the way you may think! Here music world is heavily divided unlike Western world! You have 15-20 different mutually exclusive linguistics preferences based content. The available content in each section is very limited. I used to subscribe Apple Music but I could not find lots of my tastes in the collection.

If you like tons of Western Music then it is a steal !!
    Tim Cook would say ...YOU ARE WRONG!! You need to understand the market and their choices, preferences etc...95% Indians won't listen to the music that is being heard by those who pay $10 a month for sure...no rip off as such

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Exactly. We can't just convert a Rs 21 price drop to $US and discuss its scale. That completely ignores the income level differentials and what portion of a typical person's disposable income that service costs. The concept of Purchasing Power Parity attempts to incorporate the effects of local economies.

9. twistedpixel8 macrumors 6502

twistedpixel8

Do tell us what the alternative is, when all these services are the same price.

10. wigby macrumors 68000

No
    Except that all competing streaming services in the U.S. are the same price. It’s essentially a duopoly between Spotify and Apple in the U.S. Personally, I have no problem with $10/month but some people only feel ripped off when they know somebody in the world is paying less than them for the same service.

11. macizcool macrumors regular

What's the threshold for using the term "slashed"?

$1.43 is a 17% reduction in price, so it's a decent discount

The word "slashed" is a Macrumors headline, not an Apple advertisement.

12. prasand, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019

prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

Your knowledge is a bit dated, they’ve already won the western market (depending on which west you’re addressing), and they already moved to India.

The Foxconn factory is done and production trial runs have begun. There’s a major trial production run that will happen in the next few weeks, then full production will begin.

13. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

It’s still almost a 20% price drop. It’s only because it’s so damn cheap to begin with that it doesn’t seem like much.

14. nikaru macrumors 6502

No. Apple is making less money and the content providers also make less. There are almost no fixed costs so threre is a little difference if you stream to 1 million people or 10 million people. Everything is pure profit.

15. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

Apple’s hardware pricing has put a complete stay in my purchasing. Waiting for a shift in the value proposition.

16. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Yeah, but you'll be making only $20 a month if you move there :)
    So can I use an India VPN, switch to the India app store and purchase the subscription plan at the India price then switch my app store back to the US?

17. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

so with your “not dated” knowledge,show us a legit source confirming Apple have won the Western market for both hardware and services sales against competitors.
    western market means Europe+North America.

18. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Are the US music artist getting any money at all from Apple's music service in India ?

19. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

This would not work I assume... Plus you lose a ton of “western music”.
    Same debate happens when Apple releases Apple Music in china with a cost of essentially equivalent of $2/mo. But the collection range suffers hard and not many western music out there. Majority are likely Chinese music or at least performed using Chinese. What’s the steal you guys are looking for then?

Tunnel vision to say the least.

20. prasand, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019

prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

I never said both hardware and services, and neither did you until just now. So therefore my statement was true and could easily be validated by the simple paid subscriber number that they overtook Spotify with.

But since markets don't span all categories let’s go there:

In the west Apple has won the music streaming sales market.

In the west Apple has won the music sales market.

In the west Apple has won the mobile app sales market.

In the west Apple has won the tablet market.

In the west Apple has won the wearables market.

Five hardware + services markets Apple has won the West on. Negating your closed perception that they can’t. The only real categories against that are smart phones, general app sales, and personal computers. It's doubtful that any company can win all markets, if they compete in many.

I challenge you to find "any" company that is doing better, across more market categories, in the ones that Apple competes in.

21. WatchFromAfar Suspended

WatchFromAfar

It's really simple; as long as they make a profit overall it doesn't matter if a particular region "loses" money.

22. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

actually the whole discussion was started about Apple Music (services) and in my original post I also referred to iPhone sales and Foxconn situation (hardware) and you also mentioned them in your original response, so yes it was about both hardware and services from the beginning.;)

again I must remind you west does not mean USA only.Europe and Canada and even Australia are also west.
    you are referring to new report that Apple Music subscription surpassed Spotify in USA.is there a source confirming it surpassed Spotify and others in the Europe,Canada and Australia too?
    without that your whole west market claim is false.

I agree iPad is the best tablet with no competition going for it at this point,likewise Apple watch is currently the best selling smart watch.but these are only 2 product categories.
    what about smart phones? don't forget smart phones are much,much larger and far more important than smart watch and tablet market.Apple ARE NOT winning that.

and what about laptops and computers? it's no secret that (despite myself being a Mac owner and admirer) Mac is not winning PC.will probably never even come close to Windows and PC sales.they even lose their core Mac market (pro video editors,photographers,pro graphic designers who were Mac users traditionally).

so Apple is losing 2 categories (including the all important smart phone) and winning another 2 (including the not so much important smart watch)

I can also bring you the smart speaker category which Apple tried to enter and failed.

23. prasand, Apr 7, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2019

prasand macrumors 6502

prasand

First, Spotify's global paid subscribers is around 87MM, 26 of which are in the US. I don't think you understand the significance the percentage, and of American "consumerism".

With Europe only being the size of one coast of the US, do you imagine that Spotify's paid number of subscribers in Europe actual rivals the US where Americans spend / consume carelessly? Do you think the bulk of their paid subscribers are in South America? What region or country within the "west" do you think amounts to 1/3 of Spotify's paid subscribers like the US does, or do you understand that the US is Spotify's most influential western region? Australia is the only other significantly sized market of the West, and their consumption isn't as severe as the US (they're ranked 14th). The US even handily beats China in consumerism, it is the #1 consumer market in the world.

Apple won in the most important market of their western region (similar to how the Chinese market is the most important in the Eastern region), and they are not that far behind in the rest of the west. The writing's on the wall. Yet, you asserted that they "can't" win the west. Your crystal ball seems to be broken, experts more knowledgeable than you, say they will. From the very beginning experts have asserted, it's just a matter of time before Apple beats Spotify "globally".

In general, the only categories Apple could "never" win on are overall smart phone units, and overall personal computer units because cheap trumps premium. Which brings us to Apple's actual arena, which is really the premium market. The losses you see, really compare Apple to things they don't actually compete against. In regard to the premium smart phone market, the only real can't win region is China, because the Chinese are very loyal to their country. Apple hasn't won the premium cell phone market in India yet, but I wouldn't say they "can't".

But that's moot, you said Apple can't win the west, I only needed to present one hardware and one services example to prove your closed-minded statement as factually not true. Reflecting examples where Apple lost, doesn't change the fact that they indeed have won the west.

Also, even in regard to cell phones, Apple only lost in units compared to the entire Android market ... but Apple actually won in "global" profit. And that's not limited to the premium market, they beat the entire Android market using only the premium segment. Then, comparing Apple units to any of those Android manufacturers (which is a more accurate comparison), Apple also individually beat them all in units even if you count their cheap phones. So contextually Apple even won in cell phones, globally. The best you can truly say is Apple hasn't won specific regions, and Apple hasn't beat Android as a whole in units. But Apple beat Android in every other way (sales wise).

So, then there's personal computers, which Apple captured 91% of the premium market in 1991 and has dominated since.

The premium smart speaker market? I'm pretty sure they won there too. But you see the cheap smart speakers and add that to the pool, comparing apples to oranges, instead of looking at where Apple actually competes. Even in bluetooth headphones Apple has won.

China is your only validity, but the west has already been won in many ways and on many levels. Spotify is just a matter of time.

24. ColdShadow macrumors 65816

ColdShadow

your don't need to write an article in a forum to try and validate your opinion.
    let me make it easy for you to understand:

1-West is not just USA.West = USA,Canada,Australia & New Zealand and Europe

2-USA population = 372 Million
    Europe population = 741 Millions
    Australia population = 24 Millions
    New zealand population = 5 Millions
    Canada population = 37 Millions

you keep thinking USA is the biggest and only market that counts and for some strange reason you think west = USA and any country outside USA means South America! :D

I'm sure you can calculate, so we have total of 1.179 Billion potential customers is WEST (Including USA)
    of that 1.179 Billion,there are only 372 Million in USA vs 807 Million outside USA but still in "WEST"

it's 807 Million VS 372 Million potential customers.which one is more significant? 807 or 372??

and about smart speakers,again totally wrong,Amazon and Google wiped the floor with Homepod sales wise.in fact it's safe to say Homepod was a FLOP.

25. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Dude-x gets it. If they want to be in that market they cannot charge the same prices as they do in countries that have a higher standard of living and income.