Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

More than 40 million Android smartphone owners around the world have now installed the Apple Music app from the Google Play Store, according to data shared this week by Sensor Tower.

apple-music-android.jpg

It's projected that Apple Music will see 3.8 million installs on Android devices by the end of Q1 2019, up from 3.3 million in Q4 2018 and a year-over-year increase of 65 percent.

Apple has been able to grow its Android user base for Apple Music in mid-to-late 2018, following a few quarters of decline. Beginning in Q4 2017 and continuing through Q2 2018, Apple Music installs on Android dwindled from 3.3 million to 2.3 million.

sensor-tower-apple-music-android.jpg

Now, the current quarter is anticipated to be Apple Music's best yet for new user installs on Android.
New users of the app in 4Q18 were up 43 percent over 1Q18, and we project that 1Q19 installs will total 3.8 million for a year-over-year increase of 65 percent.

Google Play users in the United States account for approximately 28 percent of all Apple Music for Android installs to date, with India a distant second at about 7 percent to the total. Great Britain, Brazil, and Russia round out the app's five largest markets at 6 percent, 5 percent, and 4 percent of installs, respectively.
Apple Music first launched on Android in the fall of 2015, months after debuting on Apple devices. The Android app was just updated this week with a redesigned Browse tab to match iOS devices, and introduced support for Chromebooks.

Article Link: Apple Music Surpasses 40 Million Installs on Android Devices

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
I can't be the only one surprised by this. I love Apple Music, personally, but I didn't realize Android owners were open to using a music service from Apple. I realize most of these might be trials and never actually subscribed... but still, it's a good sign for Apple Music.

JosephAW

macrumors 603
May 14, 2012
How many current installs compared to iOS installs? I don't use Apple's Music app to play my personal music and for streaming music.

Scottsoapbox

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2014
More installs is a start but how many are becoming paying customers? And how much of that is offset but the normal churn (people leaving) of all these services?

An astute observer would realize ambiguous numbers are shared when the more important numbers aren't as good. But most people aren't astute so such tactics work quite well.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
How many of those were reinstalls to fix the messy splash screen registration bugs of what Apple Music Android app is?

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
Tried all of them but I always come back to Apple Music. Does it have issues yes but it has the most songs and the best sound quality and no don't mention Tidal which only pushes rap.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
I can't be the only one surprised by this. I love Apple Music, personally, but I didn't realize Android owners were open to using a music service from Apple. I realize most of these might be trials and never actually subscribed... but still, it's a good sign for Apple Music.
Android users, like Windows users are mostly agnostic and don't really care about brands or anything.

There may be a vocal group that despises Apple but the sheer number in Android users insures those are a small minority.

That said presenting total absolute downloads is a pretty weasel way to try to show some kind of success.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018

Most of them are probably people on family sharing but use android instead

A lot of parents use apple products but get their kids cheaper android phones (because they break them all the time)

Reactions: NMBob

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Android users, like Windows users are mostly agnostic and don't really care about brands or anything.

There may be a vocal group that despises Apple but the sheer number in Android users insures those are a small minority.

That said presenting total absolute downloads is a pretty weasel way to try to show some kind of success.
Apple didn't release these figures, so I’m not sure who is trying to weasel “to show some kind of success”. Market research firms like to issue press releases, it’s cheap PR.

Apple hasn’t ever broken down iOS vs Android afaik, but they have over 50 million paying subscribers, surpassing Spotify’s paying subscriber count in the US, Canada and Japan. There’s a reason Spotify is panicking.

Last edited:
Reactions: realtuner

boccabella

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2010
Stop publishing headlines that describe rumors and unsubstantiated claims as facts, you are foolishly damaging your reputation. And as far as this story goes, if 40 million Android users were using Apple Music you would have heard about this from Apple.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
Probably the app only.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
It isn't that surprising. I have mostly an iOS family on my plan but there is an Android phone on it as well. I am guessing that as much as he 'hates apple' he would rather be part of my Apple Music family plan that I pay for than to pony up himself :).

I would be curious to know how many Android installs there are not on a family plan.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
It isn't that surprising. I have mostly an iOS family on my plan but there is an Android phone on it as well. I am guessing that as much as he 'hates apple' he would rather be part of my Apple Music family plan that I pay for than to pony up himself :).

I would be curious to know how many Android installs there are not on a family plan.
Family plan users and trial subscriptions likely account for many of those Android installs. It would be interesting to see a breakdown of iOS vs. Android paying subscribers but I don’t think Apple will ever tell.

Last edited:

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Quite surprised. What’s the pull, I wonder? Family subscriptions with the principal payer on iOS?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Survey of 2500 people... Yea I don't take these "surveys" serious and until Apple and Google decides to or not these "surveys" aren't accurate enough by any standard
It’s amazing what people “just know” without having any basis in fact.

Math (statistics) will tell you that a random sample size of less than 2,000 is necessary to be 99% sure that your data is within +/- 3 percentage points of accurately describing the entire population—whether that population is a million or a billion.

Of course, the study may not have been designed properly, you’d have to examine their methodology. And even if the design is sound, it may not have been executed correctly.

But Google didn’t take issue with the study, so they apparently didn’t have a problem with the results, even if you do.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Apple needs to continue this trajectory, to make sure that Apple Music succeeds 100% on Android. Apple by now should realize that Android is not going to "go away" and will never be dominated by iOS (marketshare-wise). So Apple should embrace the competition… and turn Android users into one of their services money-makers. :)

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Survey of 2500 people... Yea I don't take these "surveys" serious and until Apple and Google decides to or not these "surveys" aren't accurate enough by any standard

Good luck getting Google or Samsung to release numbers they're famous for keeping data to themselves. After all, it would look bad for them to release any numbers (active users, sales, App revenues....) when they'd pale in comparison to Apple. Better to keep quiet and let people "believe" you're just as successful.

Reactions: Solomani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.