Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Porsche has collaborated with Apple to bring Apple Music to the upcoming "Taycan". This is the first-ever full integration of Apple Music in any vehicle.

The-Porsche-Taycan-will-have-the-first-ever-full-integration-of-Apple-Music-in-any-vehicle-Image-Courtesy-of-K7-Music.jpg

Via the Taycan's "Advanced Cockpit" touchscreen display, Apple Music subscribers can stream over 60 million songs, thousands of playlists, and any Apple Music radio stations. Porsche is offering a complimentary six-month Apple Music subscription with the Taycan, and three years of in-car data streaming.

"Porsche and Apple Music fit perfectly – we share common values, and the same relentless attitude to user experience, to quality engineering, to design, and to innovation," said Detlev von Platen, Member of the Executive Board for Sales and Marketing at Porsche AG. "Together, we bring innovative digital entertainment technologies in our high-performance sports cars, starting with our fully electric Taycan."

Apple's collaboration with Porsche has allowed for a range of unique features to come to the Taycan. The custom Porsche voice assistant will be able to request songs, playlists, or radio stations from Apple Music. Apple Music features, such as creating custom radio stations from any song, will also be available through the Advanced Cockpit user interface.

Cooperation-logo_Porsche-and-Apple-Music.jpg

Apple Music has digitally mastered songs specially for the Taycan's Burmester high-end surround sound system, resulting in "studio-quality sound." There will also be access to exclusive Apple Music playlists curated by Porsche.

The Porsche Taycan is the company's first fully electric vehicle and will launch next month. The vehicle will come with Apple CarPlay and Siri voice control as standard. Apple Music integration is expected to come to other Porsche models in the future.

Update: Porsche's press release is actually from 2019, but the company mistakenly republished it briefly with today's date.

Article Link: Apple Music to be Fully Integrated in the Porsche Taycan [Updated]

Last edited:

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Unrelated but curious. Why is Taycan in quotation marks in the first sentence? It's just the name of the car.

On topic: Taycan seems like it might be a nice addition to electric car options. Particularly interested in the Taycan's 800 volt charging. Hopefully it catches on quickly.

Reactions: japanime

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
I don’t have a Taycan but this is nice to see. Hopefully there’s a chance Apple Music comes to more vehicles.

RomanEmpire

macrumors regular
May 29, 2018
Vienna
The 2019 VW Passat has got apple music integration as well. At least the european version.
I dunno if it‘s „fully“ integrated, though.

Reactions: haruhiko

ts1973

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2002
Belgium
As posted above this is ancient news... was already announced when the Taycan’s interior was teased, almost exactly a year ago (August 22nd 2019).

Maybe a hickup in the database ?

Edit : Taycan was launched September 4th 2019 by the way.

Reactions: 4jasontv and Lazy

hmark8

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I would imagine most use Sirius or Spotify, and all the users who use Apple Music would most likely all be using CarPlay which already offers full integration. So would be odd for users to switch from CarPlay to native interface for Apple Music and then back again for maps etc. So can’t imagine there is a large use case beyond pr and more as a selling point fir dealers who are always looking for another bullet point to list.

Pimmp

macrumors member
May 13, 2018
Using Spotify when I´m driving since it´s layout is easier to change music/albums/etc (no Carplay)

Reactions: dmylrea

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I’m in the market for an EV right now (Tesla Model 3 Perf.), and you can’t even order one of these in my area, as there is a waiting list. I’ve been really impressed with What Porsche has been able to integrate into this vehicle. Super impressive with the design and of course the technology, coupled with the efficiency and performance. Awesome car.

profets

macrumors 601
Mar 18, 2009
This article is super old. Not sure why it’s been reposted. Taycan is already out, not being released in a month...

You’re right - its from exactly a year ago today. Weird.

I would imagine most use Sirius or Spotify, and all the users who use Apple Music would most likely all be using CarPlay which already offers full integration. So would be odd for users to switch from CarPlay to native interface for Apple Music and then back again for maps etc. So can’t imagine there is a large use case beyond pr and more as a selling point fir dealers who are always looking for another bullet point to list.

I use Apple Music but I drive a Model 3, so no CarPlay, lol. There’s several services built in (Slacker, Spotify, TuneIn, etc) but really wish they would expand on this. Would love to see some more apps per se, like Music and a good podcast app.

skippermonkey

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
Bath, UK
If they made a two-door coupe Taycan, I'd be all over that for my next car. Sadly it's a boring four door.

EDIT: Well I would have been until I saw the prices. Eek!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Nebulance

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
You’re right - its from exactly a year ago today. Weird.
Weird is right. Seems like someone from MR got an old press release pushed to their timeline... saw the 8/20 date... missed the 2019 vs 2020, and decided to write an article about year old news. MR even included the link to the year old press release where it says 2019 two times before even getting to the meat of the release. Yet we still have this article. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
If they made a two-door coupe Taycan, I'd be all over that for my next car. Sadly it's a boring four door.

EDIT: Well I would have been until I saw the prices. Eek!
Heh. No one considering Porsche should be surprised by they pricing. Porsche is know for a few things. 1. Driving dynamics. 2. Pricey vehicles 3. Their uncanny ability to nearly double the base price of their vehicles through the options menu. :D

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
The options are one of the big appeals of the brand. At that price-point, there are no bargain-hunters as customers but rather people who want a unique vehicle that still has a very personal touch, despite being an industrially produced article.

Reactions: NetMage

larryj

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2007
Atlanta
I’m in the market for an EV right now (Tesla Model 3 Perf.), and you can’t even order one of these in my area, as there is a waiting list. I’ve been really impressed with What Porsche has been able to integrate into this vehicle. Super impressive with the design and of course the technology, coupled with the efficiency and performance. Awesome car.

I have a Model 3 (non-performance, AWD) which I absolutely love. I've seen a couple of Taycan's "in the wild" recently and it's a gorgeous car. Out of my price range, but it looks amazing.

MRrainer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
I have a Model 3 (non-performance, AWD) which I absolutely love. I've seen a couple of Taycan's "in the wild" recently and it's a gorgeous car. Out of my price range, but it looks amazing.

For the price, it better be.

It's three times the price of a Model 3 performance and double of a Model S.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
As posted above this is ancient news... was already announced when the Taycan’s interior was teased, almost exactly a year ago (August 22nd 2019).

Maybe a hickup in the database ?

Edit : Taycan was launched September 4th 2019 by the way.

Porsche has started talking about what's going to be different with the 2021 Taycan. Maybe Apple Music was planned for but axed in the 2020 model year, but it'll finally be here in the 2021 model year?

Supposedly the Taycan can receive updates, but I've heard that said about a lot of vehicles and thus far Tesla is the only auto manufacturer that's actually pushing updates OTA to customers on a regular basis...

Sethal

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
I think this is the next logical step for streaming music services. Being able to play them without even having to connect a phone.

McKodiak

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2014
I think this is the next logical step for streaming music services. Being able to play them without even having to connect a phone.
Maybe CarPlay should be an option as part of the preinstalled infotainment system. Just log in with your Apple ID and go. Maybe get facial recognition in the car so it automatically logs the driver in based on who they are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.