Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onenorth

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2021
Even if you only consider paid subscribers, Spotify still has more than twice the amount of paid subscribers Apple Music has.
So I guess Spotify is being bogged down by the unpaid subscribers. They mentioned capital costs as a reason for the layoffs - it costs a lot to service all of those subscribers and the ad revenue apparently isn't enough. Hopefully Spotify turns things around and provides robust competition for Apple and others. Meanwhile, bugs in the Apple interface probably don't bother most users enough to switch.

klasma

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2017
I don't know ... is it fair to say that bugs like that that are very obviously widespread AND noticeable to end-users ought to be fixed as soon as possible?

Over the years, I've encountered what seems to be certain widespread bugs that a large number of users notice, such a iCloud tab sync issues. That issue was not fixed for many, many iterations iOS and it was truly annoying leading me to stop relying on iCloud tabs.
ICloud tabs suddenly started working again for me a few months ago, after not working for years. Apparently the complexity of some cloud services is to high for Apple to handle, or they’re doing something wrong in their development process for those quality issues continuing to crop up.

Reactions: msackey

klasma

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2017
if i weren’t so immersed in their ecosystem i would absolutely trade bug filled apple music for spotify. apple should thank their lucky stars they’ve built out the ecosystem they have, cuz there’s not much keeping me here otherwise.
What ecosystem benefits are there to Apple Music?

Reactions: mcru21

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
An Apple Music bug?? Why, I've never heard of such a thing!

*hammers 'play' button repeatedly when music refuses to start playing*
Haha that, and on macOS in the Music app, you have to search for the same thing twice, because it seems to take the previous input 🙄

Jobs would be rolling in his grave with all these bugs.

Redtel

Suspended
Nov 18, 2023
It's clear at this point they could care less on improving it, but the incompetence, to at least deliver a bug free experience since release date has been amusing to put it mildly.

Every OS update they claim to fix it but they ship the same trash or worse.

Meph0

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2021
As someone who had this setting enabled since the dark ages, why would you not want a song added to your library when added to a playlist? I use playlists exclusively to organize my music and listen only to playlists, so when looking for music later, it's nice that I can narrow down my searches to my library only, which covers all my playlists.

What is the point of curating a library that does not contain all songs in your playlists? Genuinely curious as I feel like I may be overcurating my music with playlists.

Reactions: Nightfury326

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023
For a professional musician who can have all the required additional hardware to listen in lossless hi-fi fidelity, maybe there is some value. Personally, for me, being over 45 years old I truly can’t distinguish from lossless hi-do from lossy from Spotify. For the rest of world on Bluetooth there is no difference.
About Apple paying 3x time more recently it has been found that is not “so siempre as that”, not accurate. Give Spotify a try, I have tried Apple Music many times and the interface is so lacking in features and very hard to discover new music.
Spatial Audio is really nice though.
Spotify still doesn't have a cloud library so it's useless to me. It is 2023 and I absolutely refuse to sync my phones with a computer like an iPod just to have my own recordings exist amongst my commercial music library. And especially not for basically the same price Apple charges. There's honestly no way to justify paying the same to get less in this situation.

Reactions: ranphi

fontman

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Costa mesa

In recent weeks, many Apple Music subscribers have reported that the "Add Playlist Songs" setting is broken on the iPhone, iPad, and sometimes the Mac. After a user toggles off the setting, the bug can cause it to turn back on, resulting in any songs that a user adds to a playlist being added to their music library in an unwanted manner.

iOS-17-Apple-Music-Favorites-Feature.jpg

Users have complained about this issue on the Apple Support Community, Reddit, MacRumors Forums, and X. While the complaints have increased since iOS 17.1.2 was released last week, the bug appears to affect many other software versions, leading some users to speculate that there might be a server-side problem for Apple to fix.

The issue has frustrated users, as removing an unwanted song from the library also removes the song from all playlists, and there is no way to change this behavior. The bug can repeat itself over and over again, and there is no lasting solution right now.

The underlying cause of the issue is unclear. We've reached out to Apple for comment, and we will update this article if we receive a response.

Article Link: Apple Music Users Experiencing Bug With 'Add Playlist Songs' Setting
Yes this latest release of software for the OS for running on Macintosh's is riddled with pugs as well as the iPhone software and iPad software it is riddled with weird behavior strange things happening and applications not working it is awful and I am stuck in the middle of the nightmare

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
As someone who had this setting enabled since the dark ages, why would you not want a song added to your library when added to a playlist? I use playlists exclusively to organize my music and listen only to playlists, so when looking for music later, it's nice that I can narrow down my searches to my library only, which covers all my playlists.

What is the point of curating a library that does not contain all songs in your playlists? Genuinely curious as I feel like I may be overcurating my music with playlists.

Because, for many, playlists are seen as short term. Without this option, their Library artist list otherwise fills up with dozens of bands/singers/songwriters they’ve never heard of and aren‘t especially interested in long term. That’s one reason. And in any case, since Apple also thinks there’s a reason, maybe it should work. Maybe they’ll fix it and maybe they won’t, but on recent form, it wouldn’t be a surprise if this is still happening in iOS 40 👍

ETA: This is (or was) an especially welcome option when someone shares a playlist with you and you don’t want those dozens of new artists added to your own library 👍

Last edited:

toobravetosave

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
Apple Music is also terrible at writing metadata but I suppose nobody cares about offline music anymore

the app must look flashy and sell subscriptions!

Reactions: Nightfury326

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
Another day, another bug. I am convinced that Apple will never put out a stable release. There is just far too much emphasis on being the first to market adding some nonsense feature, rather than fixing the hot garbage that was broken from the last release. What good are features when core functions are broken? For once, skip a feature release cycle and fix the hot mess instead.

ranphi

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2014

I don’t use that option, as I have a playlist I regularly listen to that is a mix of current songs I like and new songs that I haven’t decided if I like or not.

Songs I like I’ll add to my library, while songs I decide that I don’t like will eventually get deleted by me from that playlist.

And even with songs that I’ve decided that I like and are in my library, I don’t want them automatically favorited since favorites are used to influence what new songs AM recommends to you.

But that’s me and how I use it. Clearly not everyone uses the app and its various settings the same way (or listens to/organizes music the same way).

Surf Monkey

Suspended
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
Similar stuff has been going on all across iOS and iPad OS for years. Try toggling off iCloud storage for an app and then check again in a few hours, days, weeks or months. 50/50 it’s magically enabled itself again without any user input. Or disabling private IP on an older Apple Watch. Worse, try letting your Apple Music subscription lapse…and pray that your purchased iTunes music doesn’t get nuked.

This is just new Apple. It’s entirely normal now. There’s so many bugs and bad design choices that never get fixed, they may as well just be chalked up as features.

EDIT: Just checked, and yes, this bug is also present on both my iPhone and iPad running 16.7.2. No surprise.

Just imagine a world where your play counts sync reliably across all your devices regardless of whether they’re iOS, iPadOS, MacOS or Android!

I mean, we’ve been told this is a thing Music can do for YEARS and yet Music can NOT do that and as a consequence most of my smart playlists are now useless.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.