Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Cannes Lions today announced that Apple has been named the Creative Marketer of the Year, marking the first time the Cupertino company has won the award.

Apple was named the Creative Marketer of the Year to honor its "world class creative communications and marketing initiatives."

applefkatwigswelcomehome.jpg

Simon Cook, Managing Director of Cannes Lions, said that Apple is "highly deserving" of the Creative Marketer of the Year Award.
"The company's marketing and communications consistently showcases creative excellence. Apple Inc. has created a culture that drives marketing strategies that ensure that its customers are true ambassadors for Apple brands."
Apple's VP of Marketing Communications, Tor Myhren, said that Apple is "humbled" to receive the award, which will be collected by Myhren at the final Awards Show of the Cannes Festival on Friday, June 21.
"We are humbled to receive this prestigious award. Apple has always believed creative, passionate people can change the world for the better. We make tools for those people, and we make marketing for those people."
Apple in 2018 won the Entertainment Lion for Music Grand Prix for its "Welcome Home" HomePod ad directed by Spike Jonze and starring FKA Twigs, and the Brand Experience & Activation Lion Grand Prix for its "Today at Apple" retail store experience.

Other companies that have won the award in the past include Google, Burger King, Samsung, Heineken, McDonald's, Coca-Cola, Mars, IKEA, and Unilever.

Article Link: Apple Named Cannes Lions' 2019 Creative Marketer of the Year

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Well deserved.

The "new normal" in Apple's advertising quality (including their little tutorials) is nothing short of amazing. Bringing advertising in-house, after a mediocre start, proved to be a tremendous move for the company (and of course it was very much maligned here).

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
Well deserved.

The "new normal" in Apple's advertising quality (including their little tutorials) is nothing short of amazing. Bringing advertising in-house, after a mediocre start, proved to be a tremendous move for the company (and of course it was very much maligned here).
A mediocre start? Apple had iconic adverts from the getgo including the famous 1984 one etc

EDIT: i see what you mean. Yes you’re right.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepIn2U

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
A mediocre start? Apple had iconic adverts from the getgo including the famous 1984 one etc
You misunderstood what @djcerla was referencing. He was talking about their in-house efforts, not the Chiat Day ads. Their initial in-house foray into ad making wasn't exactly... the point is, it has gotten better.

The best thing about that HomePod ad was the song by 'Til It's Over' by Anderson Paak. I'm still listening to that on FH4 Block Party.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
You misunderstood what @djcerla was referencing. He was talking about their in-house efforts, not the Chiat Day ads. Their initial in-house foray into ad making wasn't exactly... the point is, it has gotten better.

The best thing about that HomePod ad was the song by 'Til It's Over' by Anderson Paak. I'm still listening to that on FH4 Block Party.
Ah I gotcha. Oh and I love Anderson paak

Brandhouse

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2014
Cannes is nothing but a wan$ fest and advertising has long lost its craft. So winning a gong is irrelevant, especially to the person on the street.

Reactions: jjhny

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
why is it that just about every excom member at  just has to throw in the line "change the world" with every public statement they make? Is it a mandatory requirement in the employee handbook when speaking to the press?

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
The HomePod ad is one of my all time favourites. Absolutely conveyed the mood of owning an amazing sounding speaker that works with Siri. I would be lying if I said it didn’t nudge me to purchasing a HomePod.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
I don't recall see any ads by Apple in years. Maybe a few iPhone ads maybe but nothing memorable. Thought they haven't really done much since the Mac vs campaign or the iPod dancing silhouettes. ‍♂️

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I don't recall see any ads by Apple in years. Maybe a few iPhone ads maybe but nothing memorable. Thought they haven't really done much since the Mac vs campaign or the iPod dancing silhouettes. ‍♂️
There was the “what’s a computer” iPad ad a couple of years ago that was big (not technically for being good, but still talked about).

Reactions: PlayUltimate

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 68020
Apr 10, 2019
Awesome ad. Real imaginative....Ugh.

Of COURSE they had to add rainbows.

I really hope Apple doesn't keep bringing that back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.