Apple Named 'World's Most Admired Company' for 12th Year in a Row

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 22, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Despite its recent financial stumble, Apple has topped Fortune's annual ranking of the World's Most Admired Companies for the 12th consecutive year.

[​IMG]

Apple finished ahead of Amazon, the runner-up for a third consecutive year, while Warren Buffett's holding company Berkshire Hathaway, The Walt Disney Company, and coffee chain Starbucks rounded off the top five. Apple rivals Microsoft, Google, and Samsung ranked 6th, 7th, and 50th respectively.

Apple topped the list in every category, such as innovation, quality of management, social responsibility, use of corporate assets, financial soundness, quality of products and services, and global competitiveness.

The rankings were determined by "some 3,750 executives, analysts, directors, and experts" who selected the 10 companies they admired most:
    Fortune also asked its respondents to weigh in on the reputations of the executives who lead these top companies, with 79 respondents calling Apple CEO Tim Cook "underrated" and 183 calling him "overrated."

Article Link: Apple Named 'World's Most Admired Company' for 12th Year in a Row

2. BvizioN, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

I would be interested to know what the forum members think about this? :)
    Looking forward to reading some "positive" comments as usual.

3. Mathias Denichi macrumors 6502

Mathias Denichi

This is like the Oscars for Fortune 500 companies.

4. Enclavean macrumors regular

Enclavean

What other company can charge $749 for sub-1080p screens and still have them sell? I mean, you gotta admire that

5. CB1234 macrumors 6502a

CB1234

You forgot to add '/s' to your post, I think....

6. TheShadowKnows! macrumors 6502a

TheShadowKnows!

"Fortune also asked its respondents to weigh in on the reputations of the executives who lead these top companies, with 79 respondents calling Apple CEO Tim Cook "underrated" and 183 calling him "overrated."

2.3:1 vote Cook "overrated".
    [Cook "winning!"/s]

7. Fender2112 macrumors 65816

Fender2112

I'm not saying he's not a good CEO, but I agree, he's overrated.

8. AngerDanger, Jan 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2019

AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

I'm surprised to see Apple's biggest admirer ranked so low.

9. maerz001 macrumors 65816

maerz001

Apple stock tells a different story for the last 6 months

10. Jsameds macrumors 68040

It’s almost as if it’s a single metric of a single component that doesn’t make any difference to the vast majority of users..

11. nwcs macrumors 68000

nwcs

In other news, MacRumors curmudgeons voted Apple the Most Heinous Company. In typically humorless forum posts, Apple critics disregard all evidence to the contrary and unilaterally declare Apple as the worst company to ever exist.

“Where is my US$99 iPhone?” seems to be the rallying cry. “Apple keeps overcharging. We know they use slave labor and never pay taxes. They also use inferior intel parts. No way there’s more than 3¢ worth of parts there,” others say. Rampant denial and equivocation is expected when news is received that anyone could reasonably disagree.

Expect to see more comments of “Fire Tim Cook” as critics rally together in force not seen since the last Guy Fawkes day.

12. needfx macrumors 68040

needfx

13. femike macrumors 6502

Yes, I do admire the hobbled products, the products that have been neglected and discontinued, and the astronomical high prices, the reduced quality control, and the sheer number uncritical fans.

14. Googlyhead macrumors 6502

To be fair; I think they would rank quite high on the 'financially sound' scale.

As for the others; perhaps the competition really is that bad?

15. Digital Dude macrumors 6502

Digital Dude

Arizona where freedom still means something
    Admired company?
    Your post made me laugh, but 'admired company' caused me to gag.

16. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I'm more irritated with Apple than I have ever been before. Form over function and more BS and spin than usual.

17. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

My puppy is drowning in a small pool of water and only Jony Ive and Tim were around to serve me as a customer in need. Tim as CEO wouldn’t recognize the issue with or interject with Jony Ive painting my puppy white and looking for ways to lighten him up first before attending to more pressing, obvious, valuable functional needs, but he’d find ways to make money off that nonetheless.

How to develop a rating that appropriately reflected that... :/

18. MDF314159265 macrumors regular

MDF314159265

Enjoy it Apple - if “business as usual” is the MO, this’ll be your last year being “admired.”

19. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

I'm not surprised. They make such top notch products with excellent QC. Especially the laptop keyboards.

20. Luap macrumors 65816

Luap

I think they asked the shareholders.

21. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

Amen. As Apple Computer Company was founded in 1976, it first drew me in around 2004, at the perfect age of 29...it was past its awkward growing stages and now fresh, healthy, spirited, couldn’t do much wrong, and was primed for continued success. Hit many home runs then thru around 2010, really feeling its prime up thru age 35. Then just a few years later past its mid 30s it started messing around with a good thing. Sudden onslaught of unnecessary plastic surgery, focusing on looks more than what’s underneath, but able to still earn so much money that it didn’t recognize the poor new foundation it was building in addition to the accumulating resentfulness of its once admirous following. Now at age 43 it’s at a bit of a crossroads. Hopefully like many 45+ year olds it’ll recognize its current follies and regain the understated confidence it once had, refocusing back onto what’s most important and what made it so great 15 years ago - a foundation rooted in the product not the image the product projects.

22. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Wow, talk about statistical manipulation...

There were 4243 respondents. Only 4% of them thought Cook was "overrated".

That bizarre ratio you quoted illustrates the point that Fortune itself makes in the article: he's 3rd on the list of most overrated CEOs and also voted 5th most underrated.

Or, as you would say, 3:5...

23. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Obviously Wall Street sell side analysts weren’t surveyed.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2019 ---
    Luckily you’re not forced to buy Apple products so you can buy/use a product that doesn’t irritate you.

24. Baymowe335 macrumors 68040

People do admire the color accurate displays, great battery life, best in mobile silicon, incredible camera, best security, and best software support in the industry.

They also admire that Apple doesn't have to sell product on specs alone. As we've seen, a garbage 1080P screen is not as good as Apple's Xr screen.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 22, 2019 ---
    Stocks go up and down, on average 50% in any given year from top tick to bottom tick.

Stock price without context is meaningless. The whole market was down, particularly the Nasdaq over the same period and is still in the process of recovering.

Apple is about to report EPS and stocks sometimes give you opportunities to buy.

25. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

Congrats. First snark of the thread.

Grabs popcorn...