Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been named the world's most valuable brand in 2016, according to the latest Forbes rankings, despite posting its first negative-growth quarter since 2003 with declining sales across its iPhone, iPad, and Mac product lines.

Apple-Most-Valuable-Brand-2016-Forbes.jpg

Apple's recent slowdown was not enough to prevent the company from securing the number one position in the list for the sixth consecutive year, ahead of rivals Google and Microsoft. Forbes placed Apple's brand value at $154.1 billion, up 6-percent from 2015 and nearly double Google's value of $82.5 billion.

Coca-Cola, Facebook, Toyota, IBM, Disney, McDonald's, GE, Samsung, Amazon, AT&T, BMW, and Cisco rounded out the top fifteen. Apple Watch fashion partner Hermès ranked 48th on the list. Other notable companies listed include Intel (17th), Verizon (21st), HP (38th), Sony (76th), Netflix (79th), and T-Mobile (93rd).

Apple remains the world's most valuable company with a market cap of over $510 billion, despite its stock being down around 30-percent from May 2015 highs. Google parent company Alphabet trails closely behind, and briefly surpassed Apple as the world's most valuable company in February.

Apple also topped Interbrand's most valuable brand list in 2013, 2014, and 2015.

Update: AAPL is down nearly 3 percent in trading today, resulting in Google parent company Alphabet's market cap once again briefly surpassing Apple's. The two companies will likely continue to trade positions until the volatility settles.

Article Link: Apple Named World's Most Valuable Brand Despite Recent Slowdown

Rocketman

macrumors 603
My takeaway is Apple's "brand revenue" is more than the next ones in the top 5 combined! It is almost all since 2007 BTW.

Please stop anticipating the Apple is doomed comments. It's bad enough some people can't control themselves and post the obviously wrong. Apple has a P/E ratio of 10.4 with more cash than god. Apple is not doomed and ironically can't be.

Buy AAPL

Last edited:

TheTom9

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2015
London, UK
I am just shocked about Coke, like seriously, what did they do to the planet to deserve being on the 4th place LOL. Anyways, good luck Apple, your 475 watch bands and 98 phone cases kept you on the first place.

On a more serious note, good for apple that they stayed the most valuable company, also surprising that they doubled Microsoft!

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Considering the brand revenue, Apple's brand value is actually not impressive at all...Yes, its nearly double Google, but the revenue is nearly 4 times that of Google. What's the disconnect? What is the value based on?

Reactions: ArtOfWarfare

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Apple has been named the world's most valuable brand in 2016 according to the latest Forbes rankings, despite posting its first negative-growth quarter since 2003 with declining sales across its iPhone, iPad, and Mac product lines.
Despite 1 negative quarter in 13 years?? It really shows how we see things this days, you make one quarter negative after 13 years of records and people are surprised you are "still" the best?

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Apple is going nowhere. All companies have ups and downs. 1 bad quarter in 13 years isn't too bad. Still though, if rumors are true they are going to take a huge hit with the failure of innovation in the iPhone 7.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
What? But they haven't released a Macbook Pro every 27 minutes and they haven't even designed an iPad that can fly yet. Seriously over priced junk that isn't anywhere innovative enough for my Back to the Future mind! I should have a hoverboard Macbook by now with DDR4 ram, the DDR4 ram will obviously make the biggest difference to my life...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well. Whether Apple is doomed or not, it will not die just in days, for now.
"Even a slim camel is still bigger than a horse", something like that.

Reactions: Atlantico

Dydegu

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2015
Pennsylvania
What? But they haven't released a Macbook Pro every 27 minutes and they haven't even designed an iPad that can fly yet. Seriously over priced junk that isn't anywhere innovative enough for my Back to the Future mind! I should have a hoverboard Macbook by now with DDR4 ram, the DDR4 ram will obviously make the biggest difference to my life...

Speaking of flying: a lightweight & compact drone camera from Apple would be pretty cool. Especially being able to control it with your iOS device or Apple Watch.

Reactions: dannys1

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Exactly. To hell with those PCs with TB3, USB 3.1., ultrafast SSD, 4K screens and current tech GPUs, who needs all those utter garbage components when you have a pretty (dated) MBP with a glowing Apple on the lid. That's all the innovation anyone needs. Gotta keep those low bars and stay happy.

Reactions: SpiderDude

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
I am just shocked about Coke, like seriously, what did they do to the planet to deserve being on the 4th place LOL. Anyways, good luck Apple, your 475 watch bands and 98 phone cases kept you on the first place.

On a more serious note, good for apple that they stayed the most valuable company, also surprising that they doubled Microsoft!

A company doesn't have to do anything for the planet to be highly rated and a valuable brand among customers. Coca-Cola is a company that has earned the respect of many, going back to the 1860s. They make a product that is simple, has changed little, and costs little, one that delights people universally worldwide. No surprises, you know what to expect when you buy and drink a can of coke. That consistency works for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 69Mustang

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Facebook is worth more than Toyota. Holy crap! A stinkin website.
Something's wrong with the world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.