Apple needs Steve Jobs!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by orfeas0, Feb 8, 2011.

1. orfeas0 macrumors 6502a

Well, probably steve's leave of absence isn't the issue, but has anyone checked buyer's guide lately? There are NO apple products that are recently updated! Everything is in the mid-product cycle or approaching the end (and in some cases, it should have been updated long ago, note: iPod classic) of cycle.
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/ check it out.:D
    What I'm saying is, the company is kinda falling apart without Steve. And I'm really hoping that Tim Cook does a good job with the next iPod classic and the new Macbook lineup!

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

OMG, Tim Cook has been CEO for 22 days and Apple hasn't released a product. They're doomed.

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, the rest of my life is fully booked.

Besides, I dislike the limelight that would go with the job.

4. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Maybe it's because I'm not english, but that makes no sense at all. What do you mean?

5. zenio macrumors 6502

This is a perfect test to see how Apple does without him. There are many other good people in the organization that are less polarizing and acerbic.

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Tim Cook ... you're fired

Next in command ... your turn ... and hurry things up will you :cool:

7. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Is it REALLY Tim Cook's fault that they haven't updated a product in the...month (?) he's been CEO?

They do annual updates on most items. Get with it. This thread is a fail.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Sorry, it means I would not court that job, ever.

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em" - Will

I am 'none of the above'. ;)

9. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPod classic: 518 (Avg = 262)
    White macbook: 267 (Avg = 195)
    Macbook pro : 302 (Avg = 208)

You were saying?

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You really ought to quit before you dig yourself any deeper. :rolleyes:

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Obviously, Mighty Suede & Jobs a green dodger iPod - yes not Tim Cook bicycled Apple regiments!

You're confusing the OP John. See? I can do it too. :D

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Ipod classic: Who buys those?
    White macbook: hasn't hindered sales at all
    Macbook pro: Update it with what? Apple is bound to Intel's microprocessor roadmap.

The buyer's guide isn't right at all anyway.

13. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Those who like tactile feedback on their iPod without having to buy the crippled one (also known as the "shuffle"). I hate the ****ing touchscreen which the nanos have been supplied with. I ****ing hate it.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

K. We obviously do not pray at the same alter. :apple:

15. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Well seeing as the stock has continue to rise since Cook has taken over, I wouldn't say he's running the company into the ground.

And seriously, it's not like Apple is like Sony who spits out a new laptop every five minutes only to discontinue it in 15 minutes. Apple's sales of existing products are still strong (the conference call last month shows that). And as someone has already said, Apple is tied to Intel's roadmap. Also get used to Cook, he's been pegged by most as the next CEO of Apple, and with the way Jobs' health has been lately, I wouldn't be surprised if he resigns or croaks soon. I personally think his pancreatic cancer is back.

Chill out, take some xanax if you have to, but seriously chill out.

-Don

16. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I'm calm no need to chill, just making conversation :)
    But really guys, the white macbook used to get upgraded each ~6 months, and now it's been almost a year without an update. That's a lot...

17. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

The two of you have got company it seems…
    V V V V V
    -----------

I think what other posters are trying to tell you is that Jobs hasn't been away long enough from Apple. Inc HQ that any failure in the product cycle could be ascribed to him being away… είναι ότι κατανοητό;
    ;)

18. orfeas0 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Google translate ftw :p
    Yea I got that, but I think they really need to give something new...I mean after the air, apple made no moves to move forward (don't tell me about verizon iphone...).
    Why the hell is a new carrier to support a phone such big news? We got 2 carriers in Greece selling the iPhone. And most phones are available with all the carriers. If you ask me, apple should be sued for unfair competition, only giving their products to att (and now verizon)!

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I think you are over reacting.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I hate to sound harsh but your post and hypothesis is without sound business understanding.

What I mean by that is all the products in the pipeline are just that, in various stages of being designed/built/readied for production. This has not changed since Jobs took a leave of absence. To put it a different way Tim Cook nor Steve Jobs could produce a product from idea to production phase in 23 days.

There has been no release of products yet on Tim Cook's watch and it would be the same if Steve did not take a leave of absence.

Apple is more then one man, and while Jobs provided a clear direction and spirit to the company, he by no means created by himself, the iPhone, iPod, the iPad. A large number of very gifted designers and engineers have. They're still at apple doing what they do best. Creating great products.

Tim's tenure as CEO is too new to see any change in how apple works and besides he's just an interim CEO until Steve returns, so he'll not be making any major changes. Probably like his last medical leave, Steve was in constant contact with the executives of apple, so he's fully aware of what's going on,he's just not dealing with the day to day operation of apple

21. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I would not stake the health of of a $329,000,000,000 company on the buyer's guide on an internet forum.

But that's just me...

Dale

22. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

When Jobs does leave Apple, that market cap will probably lower to around the mid 200's for a short period of time due to a massive sell off of the stock. But, Timmy seems to know Apple well, so I think that fall would be the time to buy.

23. ObsidianIce macrumors 6502

ObsidianIce

I disagree. Personally i would like if it did, because i would snap up shares in a heartbeat...but the people holding stock here aren't all banking on just Steve, they're banking on Apple's product lines and Apple fanatacism. Guarantee you there are many products in the pipeline that are years away from fruition. When he leaves there will be a hit, but the talent at the company and the atmosphere he created will still be there. Management and the board knows exactly what's needed to keep the company firing and they will find a good replacement for him. No one can replace Steve, but there isn't going to be a run on the stock when he leaves. Just my $.02 though.

24. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

That's the point.

Steve will be leaving soon. Unfortunately, it will come at a time where Apple's growth will be questioned. A company can only grow so much before it hits maturity. Steve leaving will only impact this more. The stock dropping to just below $300 a share would bring the market cap down to 276 billion. It's at $358 right now. If Steve left today, it would drop significantly due to panic. Even if people were okay with it, there would be downward pressure on the stock because no one would be buying right away, but people would still be selling.

On the other hand, if he leaves in 2 years when the stock is (possibly) at $450, it won't drop below 300, but maybe just below 420.

While management at Apple is good and Steve has been clearly showing a slow transition, it's all about timing. I have faith in new management, but many people will sell off because Steve IS Apple. While myself and many others have faith, the media will play it out as much as possible, which will cause panic.

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When you're right, you're right.