Apple needs to buy Palm!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frisco, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

1) Remove the competition

2) Apple gets their great engineers back.

3) Apple can expand their mobile lineup

4) I can't imagine it would cost too much to buy them out.

2. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

1) Competition is good for us.

2) They left Apple for a reason.

3) I think Apple can do that anyway.

4) Yes, it would. Apple could afford it, but why?

EDIT: Nominated for Worst Thread of the Day.

3. Pooshka macrumors 65816

4. Doju macrumors 68000

That would suck for us. Less competition = bad. More competition = pressure to innovate and lower prices.

5. slapppy macrumors 65816

LOL... they don't need Palm. Remember Palm hired all the Apple disgruntled ex employees to create the Pre.

Palm couldn't do it on their own. :p

6. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

I second that notion...

7. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

Apple has $28 billion in cash.

Palm is worth under $2 billion. Still, Apple shouldn't buy them. They don't need anything they have.

But, Apple should buy nVidia and Tivo to improve some of their flagship products. Tivo (integrated into Apple TV) with direct sync to my iPhone would be great.

Tivo is worth just over a billion. And nVidia is worth $6 billion.

8. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Apple is a company not a team

9. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

If you're a significant shareholder in Apple (significant enough that any personal savings or advantages of Apple consumer product improvements are outweighed by the benefit you receive from Apple's profitability), than the notion seems OK, as Apple's cash reserves are approaching $30 billion and Palm is worth $1.8 billion and has less than $400 million in long term debt.

However: 1) There would be tremendous anti-trust scrutiny
    2) What premium would Palm investors demand? Will the billions Apple will have to spend outweigh growing the iPhone organically?
    3) How would Apple integrate Palm? What about the existing Palm devices that will need support, existing carrier deals, etc, etc. All of that integration costs time/money. The integration would take years.

This would likely be very, very bad, for all cell phone consumers.

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Then we should all hire disgruntled employees. Apparently they're more inventive than the happy kind !

Just like Apple. Hiring disgruntled IBM, Motorola and AMD employees to design their CPUs, sell their computers, and create graphics chips.

:p indeed

11. slapppy macrumors 65816

At it again with the historic stuff. So you want me to post all that stuff again and again till you get it. Again Apple and Oranges when it comes to your thinking. You're incapable of understanding or accepting the fact that Apple can truly innovate.

12. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

13. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

He's jaded and biased... Thirty years of designing devices and UIs can do that to you.

Type "kdarling" into google... he just comments against Apple because he's bored.

14. slapppy macrumors 65816

Thats what I've figured out whenever he downplays any Apple innovation. The fact that someone has to "brag" about their 30 years... If Apple invented the wheel, he'll justify his argument that an IBM engineer rolled a ball down the hill and Apple hired that guy to develop the wheel. It's irrelevant to him because the guy invented the rolling ball and based the wheel on it for Apple. LOL whatever.

15. caskin8a macrumors member

caskin8a

Imagine the windows world with Apple in control of nVidia.

16. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

hmmm...what about all the things that Palm did first that Apple ripped off for their iphone OS huh? Phone app anyone?

17. Xtremespirit319 macrumors regular

1) Why would you want to remove competition...they would just then raise prices and you would never get anything at a good price

2) They left apple because they obviously didn't like it.

3) I think they can handle this

4) Buying out is not as easy as you think...

18. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

Só you think that exits An entity called apple responsablE for everything
    good for you this is a Nice way to avoid complexity
    History in this forums are more valuable than current evets that everyone reads and fanatic devotion

19. tayshon macrumors 6502a

tayshon

Agreed, if there was no competition just think how much we would be paying for a iphone :eek:, and would be doing a lot less then it doing now.

20. slapppy macrumors 65816

Thats not what I said, thats what YOUR saying and trying to hijack this thread.

21. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ewwww, no, no, no!

Bad move for everyone!

Consumers look the choice!(You know Apple isn't gonna keep WebOS on the market, they'd take it, play with it, maybe put the useful stuff into iPhone OS X)

Apple wastes money(The Pre is a good phone, but nothing in it is so mind blowing, that Apple couldn't do it own their own. It took some ideas used in the iPhone, and made the better. And Apple will likely do the same with iPhone 3.0v)

They is really no reason to buy Palm, Palm will do well now(which is good!), and Apple will still do the same!

I've always had a soft spot for Palm, without owning any of their products. They did impressive stuff in the early days of PDAs, and took to be doing it again!

22. Enigmafan420 macrumors 6502a

Enigmafan420

Pretty sure I agree with most of the posts here. What good would be accomplished by Apple buying Palm?

The PRE does appear to be an interesting phone-but it is based on what is currently known about the iPhone. It is an attempt to best CURRENT technology.

I am hoping Apple has something so grand and un-expected up their sleeves that the PRE will indeed look like "yesterday's paper".

23. rburly macrumors 6502a

rburly

It's good for people like me who just want the best smart phone there is.

If Apple has no competition, they stagnate.

24. Xtremespirit319 macrumors regular

BINGO!

25. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Why is downplaying apple innovation a more grave offense than downplaying another company's innovation?