Apple needs to improve Mission Control

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MythicFrost, Oct 29, 2011.

1. MythicFrost macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

I've been thinking about this and what Apple could possibly do to improve Mission Control. In one sense, it's very unified, elegant, and clean, which is much better. But in another sense, it greatly hampers what Expose used to be, which needless to say, is much worse.

However, it doesn't have to be. They can make improvements to it to maximise the functionality of Expose in Mission Control, to at least get it closer in efficiency to what Expose used to be.

Here's a few of my idea's:

1) We need better positioning of windows (regardless of whether any of the below is implemented)

2) We don't need to see the dock. It's taking up unnecessary space. (Aside from showing you minimised windows if you have "minimise windows to app" disabled which I address below.)

3) The desktops that sit at the top of the screen should sit up past the top of the screen so you can't see them. (I would also have the page dot indicators up the top like in iOS.) The desktops should only drop down (and shift the desktop down as well) when you move your mouse to the top of the screen. This allows for more space for the desktop.

4) We need to be able to see minimised windows (and not in the dock):
    4a) They need to be shown as small windows underneath their respective app's icon (think of Stacks in grid mode, but with only one row, possibly scrollable if there are very many minimised windows.)
    4b) They need to be shown at the bottom of the screen (like desktops but on the bottom) grouped by app icon, and have them sit below the screen (not visible) and come up (and shift the desktop up) only when you move your mouse over them.

Here's a few images to illustrate some of my points (click for a larger 1080p version):

This is with only six Safari windows open (and nothing else):
    [​IMG]
    This is application Expose with the same six Safari windows open:
    [​IMG]
    This is with six Safari windows open as well as several other windows from other applications open:
    [​IMG]
    This is with those Safari windows spread out (scroll/flick up):
    [​IMG]

As you can see. Mission Control lays out everything very poorly from the same application, even with no other windows from other applications open. Now, I love Lion and I do think Mission Control is great but they really need to fix this to make it more usable. I find it significantly more difficult to find the window I want.

This thread is purely for discussing Mission Control. Please post your thoughts about it and what you think might improve it. (We all know Apple is never going to go back to using the original Expose, so let's not even bother with that.)

2. melva macrumors member

Agreed - Mission Control Needs Work

Still a great idea but implimentation does need work. Aside from the larger thumbnail views of the various windows, we need to be able to customize the window labels. (Window 1, Window 2, etc does not cut it)

Also, I have experienced, on a regular basis, apps forgetting their designated window. (The options menu shows the correct window but the app appears in a different window.)

3. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Yeah I'm with you.

I would like the dock to become visible only when you hover a mouse near the edge, and when you do, if you hover over the icon it will show minimized views of that application's windows, like in windows 7.

Rob

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I along with many others agree with your annoyances with Mission Control, in fact when Lion was released, what you outlined was heavily discussed and why it was such a step back to Expose in Snow Leopard. I see it nothing more than Apple further hyping the trackpad and it's gestures but for productivity, no go for me.

5. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

Hmm, I am not sure I'd agree with these points as hiding the dock or the desktops would go against the whole concept of Mission Control, which is to give you a single glance view of all your applications/desktops and provide the ability to quickly jump to any of them. Hiding the dock/desktops in such a way that you would need to move the cursor to the edge of the screen to show them seems to go against this concept and adds an extra step to the whole Mission Control workflow.

6. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Well, what exactly do you need the dock for? You're already looking at the windows you have open and minimised windows need to be shown in Mission Control, not on the dock, which makes it completely useless, no? (I just can't think of anything the dock can be used for if you take minimised windows out of the equation.)

It does, but it isn't giving you a very good glance of all your windows. You take a small hit to say, efficiency, when changing desktops, but gain quite a big boost when you actually are changing windows, which is what you will be doing the majority of the time. It's only about a second delay to pop your mouse up to the top of the screen to change desktops, but the gain for Expose is great.

7. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Exactly! That would be a brilliant steal from W7. That, and "snap to" for dialog defaults.

8. frnak macrumors member

frnak

Grouping of the windows in mission control was a bad idea to begin with. The idea of saving screen space by grouping windows is understandable. However, they either should've ungrouped the windows, made every window smaller, get rid of the dock, and given an X for closing windows while in mission control.

Because honestly, going to the taskbar on windows is like going into mission control every few seconds. We NEED direct access to everything. At least that's how I use my mac daily.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'd be happier if they reverted Mission Control back to Expose and Spaces like it was in Snow Leopard.

That's my only real complaint with Lion. I was more efficient with buttons programmed on my mouse for them.

10. WSR macrumors regular

I agree with the bolded statement.

Apple NEEDS to give us the options of not only be able to return to SL's Expose/Spaces, but also the ability to customize Mission Control.
    SL's Expose can easily exist along side of Mission Control.
    An option to have Spaces in Mission Control (like Lion) or separate (like SL) would satisfy many.
    Options to include or exclude Launchpad and the Dock would also help.

11. Hyper-X macrumors 6502a

Some great ideas being shared in this thread however you do realize that Apple never listens to their customers. You don't suggest or ask Apple what you think is best, they tell you what you want, that's how it has always been and unfortunately that's how it's going to be.

12. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Although, there was a big complaint about the the iOS-like sliders in for example iCal, to switch from day/week/month/year, and they changed that.

13. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

I think that the best thing would be to bring everything back exactly as it was in Leopard. Spaces, Exposé, everything, like in Leopard, and none of this ridiculous nonsense Mission Crap.

14. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

I don't see what Mission Control contributes to the OSX experience that Expose + Spaces didn't. Using the two in combination was a more flexible and usable combination than MC.

Mission Control works fine in most of my usage scenarios but its hard to see what is open when it stacks all my windows, especially popup dialogs.

15. MartiNZ macrumors 65816

MartiNZ

Also, Dashboard got a decent bunch of changes not long after Tiger's inception - including the widget management widget, and I'm pretty sure that was from them seeing/listening to user feedback. Maybe we can pull off something like that for MC, if not versions.

16. MythicFrost thread starter macrumors 68040

MythicFrost

Hopefully. They can start by improving how the windows lay themselves out, which would help a lot.

17. Simplicated, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011

Simplicated macrumors 65816

Simplicated

At least an option to unstack the windows... That would be great. And then you'd Cmd-Drag a window to drag all windows of an application to another Desktop (much like how the old Spaces worked).

I hope we'd see something like this again...
    [​IMG]

18. windowstomac macrumors regular

If they made your suggested changes I would officially be a happy Lion user...I've learned to live with the slower bootup, it's only MC that bugs me now.

19. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

I do like the way it's implemented in Snow Leopard as opposed to Lion. Perhaps with enough feedback Apple will incorporate the changes suggested in the posts above. There are some very good suggestions.